The scale just won't budge

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Amazon.com delivers in Uganda. Might that work for you?
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Amazon.com delivers in Uganda. Might that work for you?

I may have to resort to that although I have ordered things before from the U.S that never arrived. And those that did arrive did 1 or 2 months later. Alternatively I may find someone travelling abroad and ask them to bring me one, or send for one from China. I'll get a scale nonetheless.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Studies show that women who are not dieticians underestimate their calories by over 400 calories per day and dieticians underestimate theirs by around 200.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160

I'd start with that. Log accurately for a few weeks and see if there are any changes. If you still aren't losing consider changing your calorie goal.

I'll look for one tomorrow. I am not sure I'll be able to find one around here but I'll definitely look for one. Thank you.

I got mine at walmart.

I live in Uganda. People don't use food scales. So it'll be hard for me to find one.

I can see how that would make it more difficult. If you can't find one then the next best thing is measuring cups/spoons. It's not as accurate but it's better than eyeballing. If you don't have that, then the next next best thing is to familiarize yourself with some visual cues for serving sizes. A serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards. Half a cup is the size of a tennis ball, etc. That's not going to be nearly as accurate but it should get your started.

I used to use cups/spoons while living in the U.S, so I have an idea there. But it gets tricky with grammages- I do guess, so you were right, my measurements could be wrong. But I will get a scale. It may take a while but I'll get one.
  • Samantha_Kathleen
    Options
    Girl dont even worry about it. The scale number is JUST A NUMBER. When working out you may be burning the calories, Which is GREAT by the way, but you are..for a while you're going to have your number linger in the same spot. Dont worry about the number. Get like a measuring tape and measure your waist, legs.. whatever you are trying to shape. Believe me... you're losing weight. Tip to help.. is if you put your scale away for a while andtry not to look at it... maybe every once in a while you can look.. but try to notice a difference i your clothes and things like that. Hope this will help
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change up what you are eating. Give up the daily Red Bull and Tusker - Malt, 2 bottle . I know for a fact that the malt have in sugar etc and you are only counting the calories. Have them as a weekly treat instead of daily treats. Watch your sodium intake, try and reduce to 2000. I did not see any fruits (bananas, apples etc) or yoghurt and milk in your dairy. Try eating brown rice instead of white and stay away from fry food (trust me I love fry food too, but at this moment when I am making a change, fry food have to take the back seat. Once you have achieved your goal, you can re-introduce it back into your food intake.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I will preface my comments that i am not judging. I am merely offering a few things you might want to look at.

I looked back thru your diary until May 22, and i see a couple of items you use quite frequently that do not seem to be correct. The roasted chicken values, and the basmati rice both seem off. You might want to look at some of the values to make sure they are correct. Many of the values are input by users, so there are some with errors. Do you use measuring cups? 1/3c of rice is not a lot and you might be surprised. Even 1c of some of the items I noticed are very small in reality. There were a few days where you were over by about 400cals, so an extra 400-500cals due to an incorrect log might be a small source of the problem. In general you seem to be doing very well, but I really believe it is likely a case where you need to revisit the the measuring methods you are using. The wine is another thing that I know is hard to skip, but it is empty calories that are not helpful in anyway other than the brief time you are enjoying it. A bottle of wine is not a good option except for very rare occasions.

I see finding a scale in Uganda will be difficult. Here is one option that might help,
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/331901-how-to-weigh-food-without-a-scale/

A good article you might want to read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Eat more fat and protein and less carbs. Eat at least 1g of fat/protein for each kg of your weight. Put the rest in carbs.
  • Domino1971
    Options
    It isn't just the scales, is your shape changing? I know your delima. Might I suggest to have yur hormones checked profesionally, for a complete workup as you don't want to add hormone you have plenty of and not enough that you need. This can effect you mentally and weight wise. I did a saliva test. Best thing I ever did to help me. I am over 60.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    I will preface my comments that i am not judging. I am merely offering a few things you might want to look at.

I looked back thru your diary until May 22, and i see a couple of items you use quite frequently that do not seem to be correct. The roasted chicken values, and the basmati rice both seem off. You might want to look at some of the values to make sure they are correct. Many of the values are input by users, so there are some with errors. Do you use measuring cups? 1/3c of rice is not a lot and you might be surprised. Even 1c of some of the items I noticed are very small in reality. There were a few days where you were over by about 400cals, so an extra 400-500cals due to an incorrect log might be a small source of the problem. In general you seem to be doing very well, but I really believe it is likely a case where you need to revisit the the measuring methods you are using. The wine is another thing that I know is hard to skip, but it is empty calories that are not helpful in anyway other than the brief time you are enjoying it. A bottle of wine is not a good option except for very rare occasions.

I see finding a scale in Uganda will be difficult. Here is one option that might help,
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/331901-how-to-weigh-food-without-a-scale/

A good article you might want to read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Thank you so much for taking the time to look through my diary. How many calories would you say are in a roast chicken quarter (thigh and leg or breast (with bone)? I love chicken so it's easy for me to eat it daily. I know 1/3 cup of rice is small, I have only a couple of spoonfuls that day. The wine/tusker are weekly Friday and Saturday usually, but am going to get out of denial and make them monthly. Thanks for your response and advice.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    I think you need to change up what you are eating. Give up the daily Red Bull and Tusker - Malt, 2 bottle . I know for a fact that the malt have in sugar etc and you are only counting the calories. Have them as a weekly treat instead of daily treats. Watch your sodium intake, try and reduce to 2000. I did not see any fruits (bananas, apples etc) or yoghurt and milk in your dairy. Try eating brown rice instead of white and stay away from fry food (trust me I love fry food too, but at this moment when I am making a change, fry food have to take the back seat. Once you have achieved your goal, you can re-introduce it back into your food intake.

I gave up the redbull two days ago when I realized I didn't need it to give me energy at the gym. The tusker is normallY a weekend thing but am cutting that back to a weekend a month. I had a yogurt for breakfast and will continue to do that. I should eat more fruits, there's plenty around me.Thanks for taking the time to look through my diary and for your comments.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    It isn't just the scales, is your shape changing? I know your delima. Might I suggest to have yur hormones checked profesionally, for a complete workup as you don't want to add hormone you have plenty of and not enough that you need. This can effect you mentally and weight wise. I did a saliva test. Best thing I ever did to help me. I am over 60.

someone else mentioned that so am gonna ask my doctor for a few tests though I have doubts about how progressive our medical systems are.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Thank you all. I have to say, this weight loss thing is challenging, some people think am not eating enough and some think I am eating more than I should. How many calories should I be eating/netting? I admire people who can live healthy lives without having to count calories and everything they eat. I bought a tape measure today and will record my measurements today and weekly thereafter. I needed motivation when I wrote this and I've gotten that, and advice on new things to try and I've gotten that too. So thank you all.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, Chicken is a great option. There seemed to be some missing numbers in a few of the items you use. I attached the one I buy. This includes the skin. 3oz is not a lot, but I will not drone on about measuring.

RC_wskin_zps693805c4-1.jpg

Experiment with a higher or lower calorie target for a couple of weeks and see how things change. I have my doubts about the eating more based on my experience, but give it a whirl if you like. Keep in mind how long it took us to get to whatever point we did before we started. Once you do that it is clear that a week or two diversion really is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things so long as you are paying attention. The experiments are helpful to learn to understand how your body reacts. If you pay attention to your moods and cravings during that time you might find some foods are better options for you.

Good luck. Your questions and responses suggest to me you will succeed.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Thank you so much.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that if you do choose to change your calorie goal (especially if you adjust it up) you need to give it a month to work. At first you'll gain a little water weight so you want to wait for that to go down and then you need at least 3 weeks of tracking to see what the trend is overall. Good luck to you again.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    I just want to add that if you do choose to change your calorie goal (especially if you adjust it up) you need to give it a month to work. At first you'll gain a little water weight so you want to wait for that to go down and then you need at least 3 weeks of tracking to see what the trend is overall. Good luck to you again.

Thanks. Am going to first try further reducing my calories, cutting out things I know are not good for a month, and see how that works. Thanks much.
  • MOMXW
    MOMXW Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm totally stuck! Lost 33 lbs since August last year to get down to 200 lbs (I'm 5"4) and now I just can't shift anymore. I increased my cardio and I'm on the 1200 calorie plan. Lost the 2 pounds last week but weighed myself and I've gained weight. I'm totally stuckaqaa to what to do. I saw I wasn't eating enough carbs and heard that as I do weights as well I should be eating them. Its not muscle as my measurements have also not changed. I don't know what to do, I'm fit but still fat!
  • Maxireed77
    Options
    Maybe you're doing the wrong kind of exercise. I have found Jillian Michaels 30 day shred to be really effective. You work multiple muscle groups to maximise your calorie burn. It is short but very intense. I find that i look physically different after 4 days and i m 5' 1" and 129lbs. Also make sure that you eat regularly to keep your metabolism going and drink plenty. Good luck! Hope this helps!
  • MOMXW
    MOMXW Posts: 41
    Options
    What does it involve? I'm limited to certain types of excersise because of damage in my knees: no jumping, running etc.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    I'm totally stuck! Lost 33 lbs since August last year to get down to 200 lbs (I'm 5"4) and now I just can't shift anymore. I increased my cardio and I'm on the 1200 calorie plan. Lost the 2 pounds last week but weighed myself and I've gained weight. I'm totally stuckaqaa to what to do. I saw I wasn't eating enough carbs and heard that as I do weights as well I should be eating them. Its not muscle as my measurements have also not changed. I don't know what to do, I'm fit but still fat!

I feel your pain and frustration. I was confused about the carbs thing, and am still a little confused. But I did some research yesterday and read that people trying to build muscle should eat carbs, but then towards the end of the article it mentioned that people lifting weights to lose weight should focus on having a deficit in calories- that's different from people trying to build up. So I thought about it all night and I am thinking my body has enough fat reserves to use and I do not need to eat more carbs. (I think). How can my body possibly go into starvation mode with all the fat reserves it has. I am currently on the 1200 plan and eat back my workout calories but am going to try and work for a daily deficit and see if that works-- sticking to 1200 calories regardless of how much I work out.