Tired of being skinny fat.

Options

Replies

• carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    I think the muscular girls look great! I was toned the way the 6 month change person was when I swam competitively. You can try swimming if you want some muscle and toning without the bulk from heavy lifting I would try swimming.

Yes! Swimming is excellent for your triceps, biceps, deltoids, and quads. And your abs with certain strokes. When I was swimming three times a week, I saw quite a difference in my arms. And then I tore a rotator cuff and it slowly started dissipating.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    6 months to go from this:

IMG_20121116_085359_zpsab2ed6e5.jpg

to this:

IMG_20130414_202407_zps881fec5f.jpg

Lift heavy. Be consistent.

personnally...I think you look much nicer in the first pic...if that is "skinny fat"....bring it on!!!!

not me. that back looks delicious.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

to this:

Wow, I am impressed. You looked good before, but you look GREAT in the after. Well done on your hard work.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Eat more, esp. protein, and lift more. You don't need to lose weight. You can build muscle and burn fat while maintaining your weight, but you have to eat enough calories and protein.
  • carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    Delicious is an understatement. I would kill for that back. I wonder if her abs are just as fabulous.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I think you look great in both pictures!!! Keep up the Great Work!!!
    [/quote]

I Agree! :drinker:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    maybe we should all take turns critiquing the person who made that ridiculous comment?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Beautiful progress pics vjohn04 and justsomerandomgirl!!! :love: :drinker:

Oh, I also just saw the progress pics of Beeps2011 in her profile. Excellent as well!!

I've seen some of the other ladies progress pics. All great work!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments, everyone :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    I'm skinny fat as well. My personal trainer says one can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. If a person diets while strength training, the body will burn the metabolically expensive muscle, not fat. Considering your current numbers, you can afford to gain muscle and diet later. I'm only a month into my strength training program (after being sedentary for 5+ years) and can already see positive changes.
  • morgan_pope
    morgan_pope Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To the original question: I would recommend reducing the cardio and lifting heavier. Lower the reps per set and increase the weight. You might also trying increase the protein in your diet to promote muscle growth. Also, some people have a harder time building muscles - I can see your progress and you are doing great!

To the woman with the AMAZING back, shoulders and arms....you are a true inspiration! And I want to look just like that, when I am done. Thank you so much for sharing.

To the woman who insulted both of the woman I mention earlier.....REALLY?! :noway: To insult the bodies that both of these woman have worked hard to achieve is just rude. So ZIP IT!
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    hey it's better than just being fat!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Ugh, OP and others, please ignore the negative nancy poo poo head in this thread.

OP: vjohn's advice about heavy lifting and consistency is very good. There are several beginner programs available to you. Pick one, try it, and modify as needed. Take your time, and just keep pushing.
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    to the ladies who went from skinny fat to having more muscle tone, how heavy were the weights you used? and how often did you lift weights?
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

to this:

Good gains D:
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

to this:

personnally...I think you look much nicer in the first pic...if that is "skinny fat"....bring it on!!!!

agreed
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    5'9'' and 132 pounds? Sounds like you're skinny skinny. Start lifting and eat more protein. You should be able to gain some muscle.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

agreed
    RCWRN0W.gif
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

to this:

I think she is absolutely gorgeous in both photos. I can't wait for my back and arms to look like that! :smile: I will be one of the happiest women alive.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    to the ladies who went from skinny fat to having more muscle tone, how heavy were the weights you used? and how often did you lift weights?

I'm not really sure how to answer this question.

As simply as I can.... as heavy as possible that goes for my main compound lifts, as well as my accessory work that I can't seem to give up. I lift 4 days per week.

Silly example, but if I were using dumbbells to do bicep curls (yes, I do them, don't laugh) I started out with maybe 10lb dumbells and the goal was to progress to heavier weights. I now use 25 lb dumbbells for curls, and 30 lb dumbbells for hammer curls.

Feel free to look at my exercise diary, it's all open. You can FR me too if you want.