Why does MFP set fiber goals so low?

Options
So I changed my macros to show my fiber, and I was very surprised to find that I went over on my fiber. It set a goal of 16 grams of fiber / day for me, when web MD recommends women to get at least 25 g of fiber a day.

I was just surprised that they would set fiber so low when it has obvious health benefits, and usually most people need to up their fiber intake instead of decrease it.

That is all :)

Replies

• hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ** so I also did just read that "according to an Institute of Medicine formula based on getting 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories." So maybe that is where they devise their number from. ^.^
  • bbn68
    bbn68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    is it possible to change the daily fiber goal to 25
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    is it possible to change the daily fiber goal to 25

You can change it to whatever number you want. Just go under goals, click "custom" and then you can set your macros and fiber (among other things).
  • fineshrine
    Options
    i have mine set at 30. its super easy for me to get 14 grams of fiber in only 100 calories, so i just aim real high XD
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Yea. Fiber and protein too low. And, they count sugar separately from carbs, which is ridiculous. And the 8 glasses of water a day nonsense . . . Fortunately, you can customize and/or ignore these as necessary.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I changed mine to 50g a day and usually go over that :)
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I track my fiber just because I hate tracking sugar but I'm over it every single day. I love foods high in fiber.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    And, they count sugar separately from carbs, which is ridiculous.

Why do you think that is ridiculous?
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I set mine to 30 to help with my hungries. Now I'm up to 40 and hitting it pretty easily. Keeps me full - fiber and proteins. Just adjust to your needs.

Usually the sugars are a part of carbs - as is fiber - but I ignore the sugar listing completely. If most of what I eat is fruit - meh, who cares. It's the sugar where it's supposed to be that way. Nobody extracted it and added it to anything else.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic, but how do you so much fiber?

I've started eating Fiber One bars, just because my fiber number always seems kind of low.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    MFP wants you to be constipated.

jk they just set all the goals based on American nutritional standards. Blame the government. Can you even imagine the legal muckity muck if they were to try to adjust the settings to "optimal" levels? Everybody and their momma has a different opinion about what's optimal. It's up to you to adjust it to your optimal levels.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Seriously?

For one, it seems to create a large amount of confusion among MFP members in regard fruit consumption. If you're concerned with the American Heart Association's guidance on added sugars, MFP doesn't help because it doesn't account for added sugar separately.

On the other hand, if you are like me, and can (and do) kill that goal in Klondike bars alone, and still hit all your macros and micros, and lose and gain weight on target, then sugar simply doesn't matter except in terms of calories (both in regard to the total daily calorie intake and in regard to making allowances for sufficient protein and fat). And I certainly am not a special snowflake.

So ridiculous.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Seriously?

For one, it seems to create a large amount of confusion among MFP members in regard fruit consumption. If you're concerned with the American Heart Association's guidance on added sugars, MFP doesn't help because it doesn't account for added sugar separately.

On the other hand, if you are like me, and can (and do) kill that goal in Klondike bars alone, and still hit all your macros and micros, and lose and gain weight on target, then sugar simply doesn't matter except in terms of calories (both in regard to the total daily calorie intake and in regard to making allowances for sufficient protein and fat). And I certainly am not a special snowflake.

So ridiculous.

It's for diabetics.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Seriously?

So ridiculous.

It's for diabetics.

I agree that it would be a logical to assume that MFP put that in for diabetics, but then again, why make diabetes the default?

ETA: No need to go into this really. It's just one of several issues that are easily solved by customizing your goals. The sugar goal does create a bit of chaos in the forums though.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

So ridiculous.

Thank you for explaining.