How do I tell people they smell?

Options
I'm not trying to be ugly but today I almost walked out of my Zumba class as soon as I went in. The entire room smelled like $%#%
and I'm sure everyone else smelled it, but chose to pretend or ignore it? I do pick up on scents easily. I guess my sense of smell is stronger than most? Anyway, this young lady next to me smelled so bad, it almost made me vomit. I was so pissed off because I only stayed there for like 20 minutes and it (the odor) disturbed me to the point to where I couldn't focus on my work out. I went to the elliptical machine instead to reach my goal.

Now how do I tell this person without offending her? I swear I stated in the class for as long as I could. This other lady came out after me and said she couldn't take it anymore. I knew I wasn't the only one that could smell it. She mentioned maybe because this young lady is Indian and they all smell bad, to which I reply one of my coworkers is Indian and works out with me and she doesn't smell bad. I'm sorry if my questions offend anyone but it is a bit frustrating that it prevented me from completing my workout :(

We all sweat, but that was beyond sweat.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm not trying to be ugly but today I almost walked out of my Zumba class as soon as I went in. The entire room smelled like $%#%
    and I'm sure everyone else smelled it, but chose to pretend or ignore it? I do pick up on scents easily. I guess my sense of smell is stronger than most? Anyway, this young lady next to me smelled so bad, it almost made me vomit. I was so pissed off because I only stayed there for like 20 minutes and it (the odor) disturbed me to the point to where I couldn't focus on my work out. I went to the elliptical machine instead to reach my goal.

Now how do I tell this person without offending her? I swear I stated in the class for as long as I could. This other lady came out after me and said she couldn't take it anymore. I knew I wasn't the only one that could smell it. She mentioned maybe because this young lady is Indian and they all smell bad, to which I reply one of my coworkers is Indian and works out with me and she doesn't smell bad. I'm sorry if my questions offend anyone but it is a bit frustrating that it prevented me from completing my workout :(

We all sweat, but that was beyond sweat.

Lol...racism.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    She mentioned maybe because this young lady is Indian and they all smell bad, to which I reply one of my coworkers is Indian and works out with me and she doesn't smell bad.

Tell her that it might be her ignorance that stinks.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    She mentioned maybe because this young lady is Indian and they all smell bad, to which I reply one of my coworkers is Indian and works out with me and she doesn't smell bad.

I feel like this part doesn't need to be here.
  • whierd
    Options
    I've worked with several Indian people. While they sometimes smell of strong spices, they rarely have body odor.

And I happen to like curry, so no problem.
  • jannessy
    jannessy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    yea you shouldnt have mention that part she there to work out not to worry about others
  • xoxo2200
    xoxo2200 Posts: 57
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

I don't think so.
  • xoxo2200
    Options
    I've worked with several Indian people. While they sometimes smell of strong spices, they rarely have body odor.

And I happen to like curry, so no problem.

Not all Indian people smell. I do like and eat curry as well. I've worked out with them before, si that's not the case
  • xoxo2200
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'm more than sure the odor you despised didn't take up the whole room. Just move to the opposite end.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrshoneydew
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Just looking out for people's feelings....my bad.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Perhaps change your zumba schedule
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When you feel so strongly about something, it tends to get exaggerated in your mind. You probably couldn't smell it on the other side of the room, but all you were thinking and focusing on was the smell so it lingered in your mind.

Honestly. Stop worrying so much about others. It sounds like you were looking for an excuse to not be there, even if you were doing it unintentionally. I'm sure theres a lot of smelly people in your classes.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Something I try to live by is I attempt to think of others, before myself. I would rather my nose be offended, than dare hurt or injure another person.

I would never approach a stranger on such a matter. You have no idea the cause of the body odor, and there could be so many. It isn't uncommon that the cause could potentially be out of her control as well. You can't know either.

If I knew the person very well, and could safely speak to her without hurting her....only then might I consider saying something gently. Also only IF, big IF, I knew her well enough to know it was an issue within her control or not. (ie lack hygiene)

99% of the time, I would just put aside my own minor discomfort and deal with any smell. Bad smells can be hard to deal with I know. In my opinion, it never worth injuring another person over though.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ktkmEJoq1rsenceo1_500.gif
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    tumblr_m7ktkmEJoq1rsenceo1_500.gif
    One thousand years dungeon!!
  • xoxo2200
    Options
    Something I try to live by is I attempt to think of others, before myself. I would rather my nose be offended, than dare hurt or injure another person.

I would never approach a stranger on such a matter. You have no idea the cause of the body odor, and there could be so many. It isn't uncommon that the cause could potentially be out of her control as well. You can't know either.

If I knew the person very well, and could safely speak to her without hurting her....only then might I consider saying something gently. Also only IF, big IF, I knew her well enough to know it was an issue within her control or not. (ie lack hygiene)

99% of the time, I would just put aside my own minor discomfort and deal with any smell. Bad smells can be hard to deal with I know. In my opinion, it never worth injuring another person over though.

I agree, that's why I tried to keep it to myself and left the room to get my cardio done and continue. I just didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Next time, hand them a stick of old spice.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You're in for a treat if you ever go into a studio after High intensity interval training, body attack, or thai boxing

the entire room stinks of people training!
This discussion has been closed.