Accurate Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Hello! I am very new to MFP, so first of all, hello to everyone! I love the sense of community this site seems to have, and have whittled away hours already just reading blogs and forum posts! I'm happy to join the ranks, and hope that I can stick with my journey alongside all of you!

I'm writing this forum because I am in the market for a Heart Rate Monitor. I want one because I don't like how every source I go to, including the very machines I work out on, give me different heart rate and calories burned results. I've read some reviews, and so far I'm thinking the Polar F6 ($109). Its a simple wrist-watch monitor with a chest strap that does Heart Rate and Calories. People seem to think it's fairly accurate.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with Heart Rate Monitors? Do you have a favorite? Do you find that they give you a more accurate reading?

Thanks! :O)

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and really like it. Not sure what the difference in models are. I know this topic has come up recently.. you may want to search the message boards for "heart rate monitor" and see what comes up.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have the F6 or F7...can't remember and I LOVE it! The only thing about Polar is when the battery goes out I have haerd you have to mail it in and will be without for some time. Haven't had that happen yet and have had mine since Feb. or March. Best investment I ever made for my weight loss.

Welcome to MFP, it's a great place!
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've used the same polar heart rate monitor for 4 years and haven't needed to change the battery yet. It's just keeps going (F4 model)! I am going to upgrade soon to the FT4.

I would also recommend buying a heart rate monitor training book. The one I have is "Sally Edwards Heart Rate Monitor Guidebook". It explains the difference between exercising in the different zones, and there are lots of different types of training program suggestions, depending on your goal.

I absolutely swear by HRM training, I have seen a great improvement by training in the different zones!
  • qbec99
    qbec99 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Really helpful! I'm planning on making my purchase this weekend!! :O)
  • Pir8dave
    Pir8dave Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have used several major brands, including Polar and Mio. I use the Mio Motiva as the chest strap thing is a real hassle and inaccurate when it slips off or moves from the Zyphoid process during workouts. The Mio compares well with the Polar as far as accuracy, provided you do not wear it too low on the wrist (wrist bone)wear a half inch above. I also use a dab of the conducting gel I previously used with the Polar on the back.
  • Pir8dave
    Pir8dave Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    A final thought. A heart rate monitor is very important so that you can monitor your target heart rate accurately. The only problem with the strapless monitors is you have to take the readings with your fingers every few minutes. The watch also has other functions such as calorie tracking, resting heart rate, timer, etc.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 and LOVE IT..