Exercising & counting calories but gaining weight

Options
I have been using MFP since January of this year and successfully have lost almost 18 pounds. I am now at a complete stand still and it seems like I have actually put back on few pounds even though I am staying within my calorie limit, exercising, and eating very healthy. It's very frustrating. I don't want to stop tracking my food or stop exercising, but I have noticed that my motivation is going down hill quickly.

I am afraid to eat more calories and exercise less for fear of gaining the weight back. I do over an hour of cardio 6 days a week along with about 2-30 minutes of light weight lifting and other various exercises 3-5 days a week. I am eating around 1250-1300 calories a day which includes very healthy food.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Motivation would be appreciate too. :happy:

Thank you!

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any/all of your exercise calories? Afraid or not you may HAVE to eat more if you want to lose.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at a "standstill"?
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    I have been using MFP since January of this year and successfully have lost almost 18 pounds. I am now at a complete stand still and it seems like I have actually put back on few pounds even though I am staying within my calorie limit, exercising, and eating very healthy. It's very frustrating. I don't want to stop tracking my food or stop exercising, but I have noticed that my motivation is going down hill quickly.

I am afraid to eat more calories and exercise less for fear of gaining the weight back. I do over an hour of cardio 6 days a week along with about 2-30 minutes of light weight lifting and other various exercises 3-5 days a week. I am eating around 1250-1300 calories a day which includes very healthy food.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Motivation would be appreciate too. :happy:

Thank you!

How much do you have to lose? Other than that... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSTEqHxh3fI
  • nj1989
    nj1989 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im no expert now but id say with all that exercise your not eating enough calories and your body could be in starvation mode but like i said im no expert
  • talraviv69
    talraviv69 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Did you redefined your daily calories goal after losing 18 pounds?
    Your thinner body consumes less energy now and your calories goal should be lower.
  • TigersFan14
    TigersFan14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have not been eating back all of my exercise calories only maybe about 100 or so. The truth is that I'm not hungry enough to eat all the calories back. I don't want to eat just to eat. I eat my regular meals with snacks (healthy stuff) and I don't feel hungry. That's what's so confusing about this.
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    Approximately 3 or more weeks without losing any weight.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You may be tired of hearing this, but up your calories a bit, see if it helps, and also make sure you eat your exercise calories.
    I guess the other thing that's worth mentioning is that none of this is an exact science, and your body will tell you if it needs something. If you're hungry, eat. If you have exercise calories left to eat but you're stuffed, don't eat. Aim to eat them back but listen to your body.

I was so scared of all the 'eat more calories' advice given to me when i was experiencing the exact same thing, but I gave it a try, and I lost weight.

I also really appreciated the info that is on offer in the In Place of a Road Map forums, take a look, and if you really want to deep dive and find out some more info, New Rules of Lifting for Women has great nutritional plans and info about eating more and why, as well as being a great fitness plan.

I'm only preaching because I've found all this info really helpful, hope u dont mind :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating back your exercise calories, that is likely your problem. For instance.... You eat1300 but you burn 300, your net is 1000. Unless you are very small, that isn't enough to fuel your body. From there your body will just hold on to the fat. I don't know your particulars, but that is my thoughts.
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    I have 5 pounds left to lose to achieve my goal.
  • broscientist
    Options
    Everybody needs to stop telling her to eat more.

What is up with this forum? As soon as someone ask for help, 100 people jumps in and tells them to eat more.
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    Thank you ctinawilson, I don't mind the advice at all! It's very helpful and much appreciated.

Yes, I'm scared to eat back the calories and I have been reading that on the forums too. Once you started eating back the calories, how long before you started to see weight loss again?

That's my thought too, when I'm hungry I eat if I'm not hungry I won't eat just to eat. I will definitely check out the resources you listed, thanks!
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    What is your advice broscientist? :happy:
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    So I need to pay more attention to the Net value and be sure that my Net equals my daily allotted number of calories?
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    I am going to back and do this again talraviv69. I had done it once before, but it's worth to revisit it. I am going to try all the advice I receive because I'm losing motivation and don't want to become too discouraged that I stop.

Thank you!
  • broscientist
    Options
    1. Open up your diary so we can take a look. It's much easier to help out if we can see what you are eating.
    2. How lean are you? (It gets tougher and tougher to lose weight as you approach a low bodyfat)
    3. Are you super accurate on your food intake? Do you use a food scale?
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    broscientist - how do I open my dairy? :happy:

I measure out all of my food but do not weigh it, I don't have a scale. I'm also a vegetarian, so I make sure I am getting enough protein.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have not been eating back all of my exercise calories only maybe about 100 or so. The truth is that I'm not hungry enough to eat all the calories back. I don't want to eat just to eat. I eat my regular meals with snacks (healthy stuff) and I don't feel hungry. That's what's so confusing about this.

You probably are not eating enough. You wouldn't be 'just eating to eat' you'd be eating to fuel your body. That's why we eat ;) Add some nuts or peanut butter to your daily food intake - good high calories that add some protein

I was stuck with the same #3 coming and going for over 3 months. I knew there was something I needed to tweak, but not sure what it was. I upped my daily caloric intake and within a week I started losing weight again.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I swear sometimes our body just needs to feel something different. I'm not say it's scientifically proven, just that I've found it in my own personal journey when I've gotten 'stuck.' Have you been doing the same 6x/week cardio and weight routine for a while? Maybe just try something new - a new workout, 4 days of cardio, 4 days of weights, a different type of cardio or something like that to jolt your body.

I also agree with eat until your satisfied, but not 'eat just to eat.' I'll admit that sometimes my 'shake-up' is something out of the ordinary like a gluttonous meal or a big piece of cake one meal. :love: I'm not advocating that for everyone - maybe chocolate just re-motivates me, maybe it's psychological, but it's worked for me. But you only have 5 pounds to goal - so maybe you've found your weight 'happy place' or maybe it's just going to take a little longer. Keep going - you're almost there!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    broscientist - how do I open my dairy? :happy:

I measure out all of my food but do not weigh it, I don't have a scale. I'm also a vegetarian, so I make sure I am getting enough protein.

Measuring and weighing are two totally diffent things. I can measure a cup of cereal and weigh a cup of cereal and from the measuring cup 99% of the time it measured out to more than a serving. Weighing is more accurate