Exercising & counting calories but gaining weight

Options

Replies

• TigersFan14
    TigersFan14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    scibba - Thank you for the encouragement! It's good to see that by tweaking things a bit, the weight loss will happen again. I'm seeing from all the responses that I need to fuel my body more. :happy:
  • Dan_Lifts
    Dan_Lifts Posts: 22
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Go there, read the stickies, paying particular attention to estimating TDEE and correctly logging calories (weighing your food). Ask questions.
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    broscientist - I opened my dairy, figured it out. :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/TigersFan14
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    KAS0917 - thank you for the encouragement as well! I thought of that too and it is something I'm going to try. Mixing things up a bit may help along with being sure to fuel my body. :happy:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    looked at your diary and you need to eat a lot more! Your total should equal your goal.
  • esselle3
    esselle3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd agree you need to eat more, if on average you are having 1100/1300 calories per day and using 600-700 for your cardio activity it only leaves you around 600 ish to fuel your body.

Increase your portion sizes and has been suggested focus on quality rather than quantity x
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try reducing the amount of carbs your eating and replace it with protein, this may help. Also this may help you eat more, I know everyone seems to be saying this but all the diets I've done before I've lost minimal weight but as soon as I reduce my carb intake and eat more protein and fat, I eat more and the weight comes off, hope this helps!
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Everybody needs to stop telling her to eat more.

What is up with this forum? As soon as someone ask for help, 100 people jumps in and tells them to eat more.

^^^ I KNOW!!!^^^ I tried eating my exercise calories for 4 months and I gained about 10 pounds back. And I have a heart rate monitor so I know approximately how many calories I burn.

What I think you need to do is change your percentages for fat,carbs, and protein. Lower the percentage of carbs and increase PROTEIN. That is what I just started to do. But I only have 6-10 lbs left to lose. (I keep changing my goal weight lol)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Im no expert now but id say with all that exercise your not eating enough calories and your body could be in starvation mode but like i said im no expert

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You cannot eat 1300 calories a day and be in starvation mode. You have to eat nothing for 72 hours to go into starvation mode. And I define Starvation Mode as when your body turns on itself for energy....

OP you are not in Starvation Mode...

"Office MFP Starvation Mode Debunk Team"
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    With so little left to lose you need to eat at maybe a 2-300 calorie daily deficit, not the massive deficit you are currently eating at. 1200-1300 cals wont be enough. And you need to net those calories. Eat the exercise cals!

As you are so close, you need to start eating what you plan on eating for the rest of your life, minus just a little bit.

Yes you might increase 1-2lbs initially, but its not fat, its just your body re-adjusting and it will be gone again after a week or 2.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    back off the cardio to three days a week and start a lifting program that incorporates compound lifts = deadliftts, squats, pull ups, chin ups, over head press, bench press, etc. Do a three day a week program where you incorporate these moves and are hitting legs, back, shoulders, arms, and chest....and then do cardio two to three days but make sure you have one 100% rest day...

If you go to this program you might want to bump up cals to 1450 a day and see how that goes...
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Go there, read the stickies, paying particular attention to estimating TDEE and correctly logging calories (weighing your food). Ask questions.

This.
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    Looking at the Diary, on June 3-

1326 calories were consumed.
    725 calories were burned exercising -
    so theoretically there were 601 calories left to fuel the body. Doesn't sound like enough to me - am I wrong?
  • ndj1979
    Options

What is up with this forum? As soon as someone ask for help, 100 people jumps in and tells them to eat more.

^^^ I KNOW!!!^^^ I tried eating my exercise calories for 4 months and I gained about 10 pounds back. And I have a heart rate monitor so I know approximately how many calories I burn.

What I think you need to do is change your percentages for fat,carbs, and protein. Lower the percentage of carbs and increase PROTEIN. That is what I just started to do. But I only have 6-10 lbs left to lose. (I keep changing my goal weight lol)

Ahhh yes the "TDEE 20 percenters" as I like to call them ...a lot of people have had success with this method but it does mean that it is for everyone..some people do well on 1200..some people do well on IF/lean gains...some people do well eating exercise calories back..you have to find out what works for YOUR body ..

the TDEE 20 percenters" seem to think their method is superior to all others and will dive bomb any 1200 thread ...it is guaranteed to happen every time! LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Looking at the Diary, on June 3-

1326 calories were consumed.
    725 calories were burned exercising -
    so theoretically there were 601 calories left to fuel the body. Doesn't sound like enough to me - am I wrong?

if that is an MFP or exercise machine calculated burn then that is probably wrong ...although I agree that OP should be netting 1200 a day...at minimum...
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I wish there was a superlike button for this comment!!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    scibba - Thank you for the encouragement! It's good to see that by tweaking things a bit, the weight loss will happen again. I'm seeing from all the responses that I need to fuel my body more. :happy:

My suggestion is listen to a point. I know it is scary to eat more when you have had good success with the caloric intake you are doing currently. If you are truely not hungry, then don't eat more, however, understand that your body does need extra fuel before & after a good workout. You may want to consider doing a more dense/higher calorie meal an hour or so before doing your workout, and then a protein shake after to help keep refuel. Prior to injuring my neck and back, this is what I would do on heavier workout days (those were days I would do an hour of cardio plus heavy lifting).

It will definitely shake your routine up a bit, plus it will kick start your body. Good luck, and don't get discouraged!
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice, I truly appreciate it! I can see that I need to tweak things for sure. I am going to incorporate all the advice I have received and will report back on my progress. :happy:
  • TigersFan14
    Options
    ndj1979 - I got the calorie total from using the MapMyWalk app. I don't enter the exact amount from app but rather a bit lower because I'm not entirely certain how accurate it is. I have used online calculators based on my pace and they are very, very close to app total.
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    I have 5 pounds left to lose to achieve my goal.

the closer you get to your goal, the smaller your deficit should be. You are almost at maintenance now . . . I (personally) wouldn't have a deficit larger than 500 calories. You want something you will be able to maintain, to keep the weight off once it's gone :)