Challenge: No sugar for two weeks

Options
We don't realize how much sugar we are putting in our system. We have been on a IV bag of sugar from our mothers womb and sugar is in pretty much a large amount of the food we eat. We can make everyday choices to eat better and find support that can encourage us in your decision. So starting tomorrow here we go and I will keep you posted.

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    your body runs on glucose. there is nothing wrong with sugar in itself, and it a required macronutrient. the issue is eating more than your body needs for energy purposes.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    the average person consumes alot of sugar. so lets put the blame on sugar as the problem for obesity. lets just stop it.

i heard water can kill you from water intoxication. lets just stop that too
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not required. Our bodies do not require us to eat sugar.
    It's not a macronutrient . It's not any kind of nutrient. Sugar has no nutrition.
    The macros are .... Protein ... Fat ....Carbs.
    Carbs turns to glucose during the digestive process. That is how we get our 'sugar'.

That is why we need to eat complex carbs. Simple carbs are digested faster.
    Turning to glucose faster. Giving us the dreaded blood sugar spikes.

Complex carbs digest slower. Giving a slower insulin release.
    Steadier blood sugar levels all day long.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    It's not a macronutrient . It's not any kind of nutrient. Sugar has no nutrition.
    Carbs turns to glucose during the digestive process. That is how we get our 'sugar'.

sugar is a carb.....

Do you know the function of blood sugar? What blood sugar spikes? I dont get it.

If your insulin resistance is bad because of your lifestyle. Then that is your problem. If you exercise like you should be you will not have that problem
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eliminate ALL sugar from your diet? That's going to leave a very limited range of foods - fruit is an obvious one which contains sugar, but most vegetables have a sugar content as well.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    nope. I said when I started this that surely being healthy doesn't require giving up what you like. The only thing I was willing to, and have, given up is overindulging.

it's life, after all. gotta enjoy it :)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eliminate ALL sugar from your diet? That's going to leave a very limited range of foods - fruit is an obvious one which contains sugar, but most vegetables have a sugar content as well.

took the words right out of my mouth!
  • _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    I am attempting to eliminate all added processed sugar from my food.
  • grrouchie
    grrouchie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been making all of my decisions in my weight loss plan with that exact though process in mind.
    It's not what I eat that made me fat, it's how much of it I eat.
    So, I am learning to cut back. Learning that I can still eat what I want just not as often as I previously wanted.
    It's OK to snack occasionally. I can have a small bag of chips now and then.
    I cannot eat an entire large bag of chips during the day or a half gallon of ice cream...
    heh.
    #FatKidProblems :)
    nope. I said when I started this that surely being healthy doesn't require giving up what you like. The only thing I was willing to, and have, given up is overindulging.

it's life, after all. gotta enjoy it :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I hate to be snarky but thanks for the laugh.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    uhh, yeh, cutting out processed sugar for a while to get control over your sweet tooth, sure.

you don't need to cut out sugar all together. that would be very difficult and its not going to help you.

I think you think sugar is the problem. me and sugar think you are the problem.

you are the problem. dont get all up on sugar, its not her fault you gotta have a taste all the time.

sugar's a hell of a drug.
  • nikilis
    Options

sounds like your dissertation for your diploma in bro science has come along nicely. I'm sure they will be quite impressed down at the rec centre.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I dont thai and it was like coming off drugs dont come of ut all together start with sweeteners and take yourself off them slowly its true ut only took 2 weeks but i went from 3/4 sugars in my tea to 0 and no sweeteners dont drink fizzy drinks and i hate sweets now but i do love me some dairy milk for a cheat x
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :grumble:

^^^ This! Added sugar is certainly not needed. We will always eat a certain amount of natural sugars in everyday food, especially fruit, veg and dairy but added sugar is completely unecessary....it just tastes good
  • nikilis
    Options

^^^ This! Added sugar is certainly not needed. We will always eat a certain amount of natural sugars in everyday food, especially fruit, veg and dairy but added sugar is completely unecessary....it just tastes good

so, just so we are clear on this, the human body does actually need glucose aka sugar as both of you have just stated.

yah, added sugar totally not necessary, but the human body still needs glucose to function. so if she cut out foods that contain sugar completely, that would be bad, right?

yah, probably. now go to your room.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options

so, just so we are clear on this, the human body does actually need glucose aka sugar as both of you have just stated.

yah, added sugar totally not necessary, but the human body still needs glucose to function. so if she cut out foods that contain sugar completely, that would be bad, right?

yah, probably. now go to your room.

Just so we are clear there are loads of 'sugars' .....

"Sugar is the generalised name for a class of chemically-related sweet-flavored substances, most of which are used as food. They are carbohydrates, composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. There are various types of sugar derived from different sources. Simple sugars are called monosaccharides and include glucose (also known as dextrose), fructose and galactose. The table or granulated sugar most customarily used as food is sucrose, a disaccharide (in the body, sucrose hydrolyses into fructose and glucose). Other disaccharides include maltose and lactose"

It would be almost impossible to eat a diet with no sugar, so I pressume the OP was refering to added sucrose and HFCS that she plans on cutting out. These are empty calories which provide fuel but have no nutritional value.

Why do people have to get arsey about someone giving something up that they feel will help their health? I thought this forum was for support!
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes! I think this is a really good thing. Seriously, it's only two weeks, it's not like you're planning to do it for the rest of your life. These two weeks will make you realise just how often sugar is added to things when it is completely unnecessary and it will make you choose more sensibly even when you're two weeks are up. I hope it goes well!

I gave up all added sugar for Lent - ie I ate fruit and things that had naturally occurring sugars, but anything that was added in, even if really small amounts, I cut out. I don't eat that many sugary things normally, but after a week or so I felt brilliant, my skin was even better than usual and I didn't want it. The thing that surprised me the most was how negative people were about it. It's just cutting out something that is widely acknowledged as being bad for us, but people acted as if I were being completely over the top. There was still masses that I could eat - all vegetables and fruit, meat, some carbohydrates, cheese (thank God), natural yoghurt etc. It just made me consider what I chose.
  • livingongraceandmercy
    livingongraceandmercy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone knows that I mean sugars, like soda, junk food, processed and things of that nature I know you cannot get rid of eating sugar, but i can control how much I eat, fruits are fine but I thank everyone for there comments Its always great to see how people think about things, and yes we are all entitled to our opinions and you have to do what is right for you and respect others choices and not rip at them for it God speed everyone
  • mccdl34
    mccdl34 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone knows that I mean sugars, like soda, junk food, processed and things of that nature I know you cannot get rid of eating sugar, but i can control how much I eat, fruits are fine but I thank everyone for there comments Its always great to see how people think about things, and yes we are all entitled to our opinions and you have to do what is right for you and respect others choices and not rip at them for it God speed everyone

I'm surprised at the negative replies you have gotten. MFP posters are usually more supportive. I think you're absolutely on the right track. Good luck!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten added sugar in over a year.