accents, hot or not?

Options

Replies

• Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Mines English but damn you can't beat an American accent, so much character to it! :D
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have a Southern English accent which is a happy middle between the "Oh splendid darling, what what" and "i iz gunna bang u out enit fam!"

Apparently the fact I still pronounce my t's in 'water' and say 'thanks' instead of 'fanx' makes me sound posh but I don't hear it myself!

I'm a real sucker for most accents especially Northern/Irish/Scottish/Aussie. I like pretty much everything except really strong Welsh, Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma, Indian/Asian and plain 'chav' :P (Just realised how racist that makes me sound, lol!)

Living in Milton Keynes I don't meet many well spoken people anymore lol. Everyone thinks I'm posh! :ohwell:
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I love a girl with a british accent.

I hate southern drawls, to me it just sounds like somebody who's too lazy to pronounce it right.

^ please note I don't mean any offense, it's just not my thing.

I love my Southern drawl..... it makes me, me :glasses:

same here. Most people probably wouldn't have guessed I had a Southern drawl, either. I don't think I sound lazy, either, for the record (in response to the quote above).

Yup, I agree. It's not lazy... It's just a Southern thing, nothing lazy about it.
  • jaly92
    jaly92 Posts: 91
    Options
    I have a Southern English accent which is a happy middle between the "Oh splendid darling, what what" and "i iz gunna bang u out enit fam!"

Apparently the fact I still pronounce my t's in 'water' and say 'thanks' instead of 'fanx' makes me sound posh but I don't hear it myself!

I'm a real sucker for most accents especially Northern/Irish/Scottish/Aussie. I like pretty much everything except really strong Welsh, Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma, Indian/Asian and plain 'chav' :P (Just realised how racist that makes me sound, lol!)

Living in Milton Keynes I don't meet many well spoken people anymore lol. Everyone thinks I'm posh! :ohwell:

Haha! My ex-boyfriend was from MK - during all my time staying with him I met hardly anyone who said 'our town' instead of 'are town' etc :P that being said, I still hold the fact it's scone as in 'gone' not scone as in 'throne' :P
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    other than thick accents from the NE USA, I'm good with anything.

Whaddya mean? We don't have accents. We landed here, remember? Then everyone moved away and started talking funny... :wink:

Seriously, though: My husband tells me all the time he always wanted a girl with a Boston accent. He loves it.

Me, I appreciate most accents -- except Southern US. That does nothing for me.

love this!! Wicked Pissah... We don't have accents! :laugh:

Yah khed! :wink:
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Scottish - Glasgow and Highlands specifically
    South African
    Texan
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

I hate southern drawls, to me it just sounds like somebody who's too lazy to pronounce it right.

same here. Most people probably wouldn't have guessed I had a Southern drawl, either. I don't think I sound lazy, either, for the record (in response to the quote above).

Yup, I agree. It's not lazy... It's just a Southern thing, nothing lazy about it.

I mean, Redneck might sound lazy, but there is a difference between a Southern drawl and a Redneck. On an unrelated note, my dad says water, like warter, lol. Its so cute. He's originally from St. Louis.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Southern drawls make me melt, but my babe's got a Brooklyn accent(most of BK accents don't hit me, but I like his pretty much)... Being from CT I don't have much of an accent(that I can notice) but when I went to OK one year, a man in a moccasin(?) store mentioned that our family(except my father) must "all be Yankee's"...
    And foreign-British, Australian, Italians-all sexy as well!
  • kimmie185
    Options

I mean, Redneck might sound lazy, but there is a difference between a Southern drawl and a Redneck. On an unrelated note, my dad says water, like warter, lol. Its so cute. He's originally from St. Louis.

Oh no.. not Redneck! LOL

Now Cowboy talk.... a different story! :drinker:
  • kimmie185
    Options

Oh no.. not Redneck! LOL
    Now Cowboy talk.... a different story! :drinker:

[/quote]
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm told that my Wisconsin/Minnesota accent is sexy but I think it's NOT!! LOL! I have actually tried to talk differently, just to sound more "neutral" and it was impossible for me to do. :blushing:

Fellow Wisconsinite here. Someone told you it was sexy?! LOL! Sometimes I will sit in a restaurant and really listen to the way the older folks talk...and LAUGH in my head. Sorry, but we sound really funny if you can get outside your head and listen. But if someone thinks it is sexy, YAY US!
    Edited by chezmama On

Ugh... I get asked a lot if I'm from Canada whenever I am playing an online game. (Minnesotan) My grandparents are fun to listen to and crack me up.

Also, ever got a weird look asking for pop in California? An instant "Where the f@#$ are you from?".
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's entirely dependent on the hotness of the person speaking.
  • metalgearpanda
    metalgearpanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm Scottish so cant really say I find our accent -that- appealling! Also being told that people cant understand you a lot haha!

But I can listen to the Irish accent all day every day!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love those British accents. I'll watch TV series like Downton Abbey and GoT... I know some of those accents are diff UK accents, but I love them all! The southern accents on TruBlood are awesome! Love those drawls!

I'd think mine is a turn off. I sound like Fran Drescher or Rosie Perez depending on the level of alcohol I've consumed. I'm Mexican, but have a ghetto accent. I'm in the Midwest; IL. I sound like it.

Funny (fake) accent I like? Consuelo: the maid from Family Guy. It's funnier because that's my mom's name. I was crying when I showed her a clip of Consuelo. Hilarious.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    It's entirely dependent on the hotness of the person speaking.

^^^ Yup
  • metalgearpanda
    metalgearpanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also seen on here someone liked the Glasgow accent....may I ask why? It drives me nuts (not in a good way) and I live about 2 hours away from the place. But then again, I have the East accent...which is a mash of "the hell is she saying" when I speak to someone south of the border :) But i'm certainly easier to understand than some of my family, they speak a lot broader than me!

The highland accent...cant understand a word of it, especially the Aberdonians! and again, I live about 4 hours away..they have their own language I think!

:)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Mines English but damn you can't beat an American accent, so much character to it! :D

Ha, and I like English accents because they always sound so "chipper". I think we Americans are grumpy too much and we sound like it. Yes, I made a generalization of the whole country. Don't care. lol
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Also seen on here someone liked the Glasgow accent....may I ask why? It drives me nuts (not in a good way) and I live about 2 hours away from the place. But then again, I have the East accent...which is a mash of "the hell is she saying" when I speak to someone south of the border :) But i'm certainly easier to understand than some of my family, they speak a lot broader than me!

The highland accent...cant understand a word of it, especially the Aberdonians! and again, I live about 4 hours away..they have their own language I think!

:)

It was me ;) My husband is from Greenock and I just enjoy the accents from that area maybe because it's what I know from all the family also. The Highlands do seem to have their own language but then every region has their own dialect to an extent don't they?
  • Justme030
    Justme030 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think they are
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Ohio, no accent here. LOL. My brother in law is English, and I hate his accent. If I can understand you with your accent, that's a plus, but I can not understand 80% of what my brother in law says. GAH!