Do you still workout when you are in pain?

Options
Out of nowhere yesterday, the right hand lower side of my back starting killing me. I am not sure if its my back and I have hurt it while working out or if its my kidneys. Either way, it hurts like hell. I have always been the type to go on with my workout plan even though I may have a bit of pain, however I am worried if I workout today I may hurt myself even more, especially because my workout of the day consists of lifting and then an ab workout. I am not sure what to do. I do not want to make this pain worse, yet I feel like such a failure when I miss a workout. Soooo, do any of you workout when you are hurt? Is it a horrible idea?? Should I take the day off and see what tomorrow is like? I just friggin hate letting myself down!

Replies

• sharitapita
    sharitapita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would take some ibuprofen and do lots of stretching for that area. Two good ones are laying on your back, one leg outstretched, pulling the other knee into your chest. Another is again laying on your back, one leg outstretched, bend your other knee and twist it across your body - arms out. Make sure to hold for at least 30 seconds. I have had flare ups in my lower back due to a car accident off and on for years. Seeing a chiropractor regularly helped me. Maybe take the day off, and see how it feels tomorrow. You can always try your workout, but be sure to stop if the pain worsens. You don't want to make an injury worse and be laid up even longer.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'd wait a day and if not better, see a dr. You may hurt yourself worse and then miss way more than one workout.
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    Listen to your body. Sounds like if it was just soreness you wouldn't have a problem working out. But since this pain seems different I would take the day and stretch it out. Get back at it tomorrow.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I know its the better idea to take the day off and see what happens tomorrow. I'm just hard on myself when I miss a planned day of working out. I may try to go for a simple long walk instead of lifting and the ab workout. At least I'll be burning some cals that way!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    yes I do :) It helps relieve the pain actually - weird, I know, but it does help.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'll exercise with soreness, but not PAIN.
  • Chatter_78
    Chatter_78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am suffering from lower back pain currently and Motrin and rest is my advice, don't push it you could make things worse.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    It depends on the pain. General soreness and muscle fatigue I will work through, but if is a stabbing type of pain I will not. Give it a day, do some stretching and light cardio (go for a walk) and see how you feel. Nothing worse than trying to play the hero and hurting yourself more.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I know its the better idea to take the day off and see what happens tomorrow. I'm just hard on myself when I miss a planned day of working out. I may try to go for a simple long walk instead of lifting and the ab workout. At least I'll be burning some cals that way!

I think going for a walk is a great idea. See where you are tomorrow! I hope it goes away.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of pain. If it's a type of pain I'm familiar with: soreness, explainable minor injury, etc. then I'll work out knowing what to expect. However, if it's an intense unfamiliar pain I will rest whatever body part is in pain, skip working out altogether if I need to, and seek medical attention if the pain gets worse, or does not improve within a day.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It depends on the pain! If I know whats causing the pain, ie my arms or legs hurt after a workout, then I would go back and do some more, but for random pains that occur from nowhere, have a rest and see how you feel tomorrow.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep I do. even when sick.

I've had back pain for the last 4 years, working out is ALL I can do to get rid of the pain. I workout heaps so I don't have to take the painkillers that mess me up big time. I workout with shin splints, with broken toes, with food poisoning. No excuses for me. If I'm not dead than I can workout.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Take ibuprofen and google " exercises for back injuries." Take it slow! You think you feel like you've let yourself down when you miss one workout.... Injure your back, and I guarantee you will miss more than one. Take care of yourself girlie!
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do, but I have chronic issues which equal chronic pain. If your pain is new and well, painfful, I would just spend a good half hour doing some stretching and wait till the next day to carry on.
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Maybe change the workout so it's not using that part of the body. I have broken some bones (wrist and finger different times) and still went to the gym. I talked to my trainer and we changed it up so that it was not a problem. My husband pulled a mussel in his side and they did the same thing for him.
  • myriambruneau
    Options
    I usually workout even if I'm in pain. Except for the back! You should stretch a lot, it will relieve the pain, working out abs should be ok but avoid putting stress on your back until it feels better. I hope it helps :)
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I work out through soreness, but I am sure you can tell the difference between that and pain from possible injury. I would take a day off.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    see a doctor and find out what's going on first. Some kinds of injuries you should work through the pain, other kinds you need to rest. You said you don't know if it's an injury or your kidneys... well really you need to find out. Some kinds of injury you should work through the pain and carry on exercising. Other kinds of injuries can be made a lot worse by carrying on exercising. that's why you need to find out what's wrong first, then make a decision whether to carry on training, based on the advice of a doctor who knows what they're taking about.

beware of doctors who will just tell everyone to rest, regardless of the cause of the pain. Try to see a doctor who knows sports injuries and is prepared to help you carry on training through the injury, unless it's actually dangerous to do that.
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    I'm always in pain so I have to:(
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I work through it as best as I can. My lower back always hurts so that I can deal with. last week I tweeked my wrist and couldn't hardly move it. I just babied that side and did more with the other side....