30 day shred - muscle recovery?????

Options
OK...so lets start by saying that I never really believed all the complaints about the initial pain from doing the 30 day shred dvd. I DO now! :sad: I've only done it twice and i feel like my legs are going to fall off, can't hardly get out of a chair and going up and down steps make me want to cry. When I put it in and saw that the evil Jillian was making us do lunges and jumping jacks i thought it was going to be a cake walk....well it kinda is since your legs turn into batter when your done :noway:

So anyway my big question is....when does the pain stop? lol Does anyone take rest days for muscle recovery time or do you just keep on pushing through the workout each night?

Thanks

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it I hurt for over a week. So I never wanted to do it again. I went back later and did it again. I only did it every other day not everyday like some people do. I had to give my muscles time to recover. You could do light cardio on your off days.
  • TeresaAnne38
    TeresaAnne38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honestly its only a few days to about a week, and your muscles start to get used to the activity. I suppose it also depends on your initial activity level, but for me it was about 3 or 4 days. I totally remember that feeling! My arms are still jello for for like an hour after doing it, and it's been about a month for me. I'm just about ready to move onto Level 2. (I'll be honest though I haven't done it EVERYday)
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It stopped after day 3 for me, legs were the killer - squats, eugh. When I started level two, it only lasted about 2 days, and the aches were upper body as she does a lot more shoulder work (using plank position a lot) but now I can handle it ok - moving to level 3 hopefully next week. I do the shred roughly 5-6 times a week, time depending. I try for 3 days on, 1 day off - but on days off I still gym/swim/hill walk etc :)
  • jturquand
    Options
    I love the 30 day shred and funny because I do a bootcamp 3 days a week and walk away in pain from each one. I am a little hardcore in terms of exercise so I LOVE the pain. It means I worked hard. Recently I found myself thinking..I work out all the time and I am ALWAYS so sore (that is a good thing in my mind--rememeber) is it supposed to hurt every day??? I started to wonder if maybe I had arthritis!!! LOL! Maybe go by this golden rule, if it hurts because it is sore try to push through it but it the pain is something else and everyone knows their own body best...rest. Listen to your body, it doesn't lie! Maybe some extra streching througout the day will help??? Just don't quit. If you need a rest day in between, take it, maybe walk instead to keep moving. I could go on..and on..and on! The answer lies within you!!! :)
  • juday3
    juday3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I frequently use 30 day shred and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. They are hardcore. It took me over a week to get over the soreness. According to the Jillian Michaels website they recommended to rest two days a week when starting out by alternating the days of rest. So if you started working out on a Monday you would rest on Thursday then workout Friday and Saturday then rest again on Sunday for muscle recovery. Then you gradually work up to working out 6 days a week and resting one day.
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Got it Thanks so much for all your input. Who knew that these exercises which look and sound so simple would leave me feeling like this. I'm taking it as a good thing considering I never feel like this leaving the gym, tonight I think i'll just do some walking and try to stretch and then start the shred again tomorrow.

Thanks!