Fish for beginners

Options
panzafit
panzafit Posts: 3
I have been trying to eat healthier lately and have incorporated a lot of chicken and brown rice meals into my diet. Next step, incorporate more fish. Frozen fish to be specific. My only issue is I don't know how to cook fish and my family is not to keen on the idea. Anyone have any frozen fish recipies that would be good for not only the beginner cook but beginner fish eater.

Replies

• gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but I have found I love Talapia. They come frozen. They cook very quick
    1. I baked them with a little of balsamic vinager, salt and pepper. Bake about 15 mins
    2. Cook some can tomatoes with garlic, salt and papper in a pan,When it is hot, then add talapia on top. Cover and cook for a 15 mins.
    Hope this helps
    Viki
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I love fish !!!
    it is good fried in the pan with some olive oil. then add, salt, pepper and dill with lemon if you like. But leave them to thaw before frying.

it is good in "papillotte", it means you wrap the fish in foil with precooked vege like carrots, leeks, fennel, zucchinis.... add spices and lemon juice with 1 tea spoon of olive oil.

Enjoy !
  • panzafit
    panzafit Posts: 3
    Options
    This may be a silly question but...Do I need to defrost the fish before I cook with it?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    This may be a silly question but...Do I need to defrost the fish before I cook with it?

Some yes, some no. Check out the package to be sure.

Another good way to cook it is to wrap it in foil and steam it.
  • lancereq
    lancereq Posts: 1
    Options
    We love bulk frozen tilapia from a big box store. Individual packaging, so you just throw a few into cold water per instruction. Once they are defrosted (but still cool, about 10-15 mins) they get a coating of olive oil spray and whatever spices needed. I personally love a Cajun spice, but my fiance loves lemon pepper.

Low broil for about 5 mins per side, make sure flesh is white and flaky. Easy as pie protein, usually done in 20 or 30 mins overall.
  • starryk
    starryk Posts: 53
    Options
    This sounds easy... and quick. If I were to cook a few pieces, say more than required for one meal, do you think it would be ok to leave in the fridge for a few days to have as leftovers?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    almond crusted flounder. google the recipie.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Frozen Tuna steaks or salmon. Read the back of the package for thawing and cooking. Pretty easy to follow and I usually add dill and a little salt and pepper to taste
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I love fish !!!
    it is good fried in the pan with some olive oil. then add, salt, pepper and dill with lemon if you like. But leave them to thaw before frying.

it is good in "papillotte", it means you wrap the fish in foil with precooked vege like carrots, leeks, fennel, zucchinis.... add spices and lemon juice with 1 tea spoon of olive oil.

Enjoy !

We do the same thing... my son calls them 'pockets' and loves to open then to see what we've made!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    always looking for more ways to try out various fish, looking forward to some new ideas!

What do you all do with Scallops and Shrimp? Such as what type/size of Shrimp works best on a salad, how long do I cook scallops etc. Several fish I haven't tried that I'd love tips on. Thanks!:flowerforyou:

EDIT:

Would particularly love ideas for the stove top as it's pretty hot here to use the oven. :noway:

Appreciate all the great suggestions already shared!:drinker:
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Salmon is one of the fishiest fish, so if you're a "beginner" I would stay away from that one at first. Personally I hate the fishy taste so I am trying to work up to trying the tilapia. Also I'm told that when battering/breading and frying, it enhances the fishy taste (don't know for sure, that's just what I heard).
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    I am in love with swai fillets!

I love to pan cook with some general tsao sauce and put over steam broccoli- YUM!
    b94ef20a-d041-4bf6-8c50-dc5c07949329_zps8063b2b4.jpg

I also love to put in foil and top with some shredded cheese and smashed garlic croutons and serve with mixed veggies.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Be sure to thaw it first. Take it out of the freezer in the morning and place it in the refrigerator, covered or wrapped. It should be thawed by dinner time.

Season it with a little salt and pepper. Dill is good on most fish as well. Google seasonings for fish to get a variety of ideas.

For thinner filets like tilapia or salmon, bake for 15 minutes at 350, then remove from the oven, place on a plate and cover with foil for 5 minutes to let the juices settle in the meat so it stays moist. For thicker cuts like a salmon steak, 20-25 minutes depending on the size.

You can also spray a non stick skillet with cooking spray and "pan fry" the filets. Heat the skillet over medium heat. Sear on both sides, about 3-5 minutes each (the fish should flake easily with a fork when done). Place on a plate and cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes before serving.

Shrimp is a great choice too. Buy the already peeled and deveined shrimp for ease of preparation. You can add it to stir fried vegetables or rice dishes. Thaw the shrimp. Add to hot liquid or hot pan, cook for about 3 minutes until the shrimp turn opaque (before you cook them they're kind of transluscent). Don't over cook or you will have tough shrimp.

For more recipe ideas, try allrecipes.com. They have a lot of great ideas!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tilapia from China makes me want to vomit.

Otherwise, yay fish *LOL*
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I prefer my fish raw with a little siracha, but that's not for beginners. :wink:

I got my step-kids started on tilapia with lemon, garlic and pepper. I do it from frozen. Throw the fillets in a baking dish and rub them with a little olive oil or butter and garlic. then grind some pepper over them. Then I cover them with lemon slices (or you can just use lemon juice), cover the pan with foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Easy and mainstream. You'll love it!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Troy_Boy1969
    Options
    Orange Roughy is among my most favorite fishes. The meat is a beautiful white color; has a fabulous texture and is absolutely delicious! You can cook it most any way you like.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do love my tilapia. It's a great fish for a family because it isn't "fishy" at all.

I wouldn't cook without my oil mister. You can pick one up at a store like Bed Bath & Beyond or any place that sells cooking utensils. You fill it with olive oil, pump it up, and it gives a nice fine mist of oil...much less oil that pouring in a pan or brushing.

For my tilapia, I go simple. Mist with oil, sprinkle a half teaspoon or so of grated romano cheese on each side, cook in a pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side. (The key to any fish is that it should flake easily with a fork when it is done cooking.) With a few minutes left to cook, I toss in a few grape tomatoes or diced compari tomatoes. Enjoy!

Sometimes, for a change, I'll sprinkle the fish with adobo seasoning. Mmmm, good stuff! But just a bit high in salt content to use all the time.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We like catfish filets grilled on the George Foreman lean mean fat reducing grilling machine with a variety of spices depending on our mood. Cooks quickly as it is cooking from top and bottom.