What is more important...

Options

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My vote is for happiness.

A few years ago when my husband and I were just starting out on our own he left a job he loved for a job that paid much more money.. but he hated that job. Over time it just got worse and worse. He quit to go back to the job he loved for much less money. Sure, it was nice ot have that extra bit of money around but it's not worth it if you aren't happy.

If you are fine with less money, take a job you will love. You can make it work with less money or find a way to make it work.

I don't believe money buy happiness and I would much rather work in a job that I love but be poor.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Money.

With money you can buy a jet ski. And no one can be unhappy on a jetski.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I think "happiness" is over-rated but, if it is as stressful as it sounds then that is not good either. I was where you are in 2009 and left for my health and my marriage. Four years later I still make 27% less but my only regret is I stayed at the old job as long as I did.

Life is far too short to be miserable at your workplace. It sounds like you are doing the right thing, check out what's available and make thought-out, calculated decisions with your spouse involved. It will get better, sometimes you have to wait for the opportunity.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I stay at my miserable job, but start working on a way of positioning myself for a new job with less pay. I'd do this by paying down debt and reducing expenses as much as I could.

Good luck.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    I had a job I hated. Literally hated. I had an MBA at the time (well, I still do, I just don't use it in my current job). I quit that job to go back to school, get into more debt, and work 2 jobs (watiress for $$, pharmacy tech for insurance). I became a Registered Dietitian. I went back at age 24, finished at age 28, got married at 29, paid my loans back by age 32 by living very frugal. I drive a 12 year old car, and plan to until it dies. I couldn't be more happy with my decision. I had to scrimp and save 10 x more when I quit that job, and work 10 x as hard (2 jobs AND school as opposed to 1 job) but it was so worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar place 15 years ago. Working all the time at a job I hated. No time for me. I left it and took a $20k /annual pay cut. Best decision I ever made
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Well it's work it will all inherently suck. I only work for one reason and that's to make $. I'm not happy ever at work, but content most of the times.

If it's truly a terrible job of course start to look, but if it's just another grass is greener and you'll end up only looking forward to the weekend then stay with the money.

Work sucks and with the way things are going you are looking at being in the work force for another 40-50years.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    Happiness!!!!

I took on a minimalist lifestyle for this very reason. I got rid of all debt, sold my house and moved to the beach.
    I don't earn a ton of money but I earn enough for my kids and I to live with what we need. I don't need fancy clothes, I am always in a swimming suit or workout clothes. I own a few going out outfits and sundresses. We got rid of over 3/4 of our "things". We donated it all.

We no longer spend money on "things", we spend money on experiences etc. We rent a small beach house which means I am no longer spending hours in the yard or on repairs. I take my kids to school and I pick them up at 2 everyday. We have lots of time together and we
    are very active.

Yes, we live on what most consider poverty but we have everything we "need". I work for myself so sometimes it can be stressful but we always make it work.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Money.

With money you can buy a jet ski. And no one can be unhappy on a jetski.

LOL this!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    how can u enjoy ur money if u r stressed out all the time?

conversely, if u r doing something u enjoy, how much money do u rly need to be happy?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with this is that if you find a job and/or working environment that makes you happy, your performance will reflect that, and there will be a domino effect. You work harder, you get noticed, you get promoted, you get more money.

If your husband/family are not depending on you to put food on the table for them, now is the time to go after what you really want to do and not get so caught up in the financial aspect.

THIS!! or if you can tolerate your job for just a bit longer, keep looking. Because you are not desperate for income, you have time to look for something more comparable. Also, depending on how you handle it, you may be able to wage a bidding war. My partner has done it. She gets a job offer so her current company offers her more to stay, then the other company reciprocates....
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you really really close.

Money can't buy happiness, but you can at least rent it for awhile
  • xintothevoidxz
    Options
    Consider the wear and tear (plus fuel) on your car as well as the wear and tear on YOU! :frown:

If you aren't happy where you work you will spend every day dreading to come in. That's no way to live :noway:

Besides, it could always just mean a temporary decrease in pay until your probationary period ends (if there is one) and once in a position there is always room for an increase later down the line :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Durrrr...happiness. However, you can be rich, midle class, or considered rich and be happy, or not happy. It is still the same choice.
  • Justme030
    Justme030 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There is a happy medium I think.

But all things being relatively equal, I'd choose to be happy :)

^^This
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Well, When I have money, I seem to be happier....
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Happiness is more important.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd personally go with happiness. Three years ago I was miserable in my job...I worked tons of hours, traveled all of the time for business, and rarely saw my family. I made lots of money though, and sky was the limit. I ultimately decided that I wanted to be able to spend time with my family and watch my little boys grow up...I was very unhappy knowing my kids were basically growing up without their dad because I was gone so much, and even if I was home I was home late and/or working in my home office.. I ultimately decided to take a job for much less $$ and a much lower ceiling...but it's pretty much 8-5 most of the time and I don't travel out of town 25 weeks out of the year. I'm loving my family time and not really missing the $$$ for the most part.
  • spiffybarbarella1
    Options
    Happiness, definitely. You don't want to be ruining your life being stuck in a job that you hate. Besides, money isn't everything, you also need your health and too much stress isn't going to make you any happier.

Stick with your intuition and do what feels right.
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Happiness definitely. If you are not happy, it will affect your physical and mental health. I gained 50 lbls being in an stressful job environment, it took me to realize it's not worth my health.