Day Following Big Workout

Options
Several times now, I've completed a large workout which for me normally involves 30 miles of cycling or more. The calories burnt off in this exercise, combined with my daily allowance, is way below the actual calorie intake for the day. This is good, I think, apart from the fact that the next day, I could literally eat a horse - hardly surprising given the previous day.

My question is: is there any way to avoid the hungry like a wolf attitude the day following a big workout?

Obviously, I would prefer to be burning off fat either during the exercise or the following day as opposed to having to take to the cookie jar to satisfy my craving for food.

Cheers

Replies

• IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    Get more protein after your workout. Your body takes the longer to burn protein than it does carbs or fat. Protein shakes are great after a workout because your body can absorb them quickly to replenish your broken-down muscle fibers, but to avoid being hungry the next day, eat a lot of slow processing protein after your workout. Ideally lean chicken breast or fish. If I have a huge chicken dinner after my workout, I can skip breakfast the next morning without being hungry. If I have pizza for dinner after a workout, I'm hungry again by the time I go to bed.