I Eat Away My Progress on the Weekends

Options

Replies

• ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    On the weekends - log as carefully as you do during the week. Look at your totals and decide which parts are worth it, and which parts are not. Adjust accordingly. This doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach. If you can see it all written down in front of you, it's easier to make the choices that fit you best.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This was exactly my problem. I committed to logging 100 consecutive days and bam, I lost 20 pounds over the next 4 months. I log even if I feel the day is going to be totally crazy. Once or twice I didn't log until the end of the day, figuring I had SO MANY calories left after an 800 calorie burn...and then realized i had consumed 2700 calories. (I shoot for 2000 or 2100). I still assume I will go out, go to parties etc, but I feel like it is more in control if I"m logging things. And, remember to eat a reasonable amount during the week. Most people can't eat 1200 calories all week then expect to maintain that on the weekend.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are NOT losing 2-3 lbs of fat over 5 days, and gaining it back on the weekend.

You have water fluctuations, that's all.

The problem is you probably aren't really getting the deficit you think during the week, and you are wiping out that smaller deficit on the weekend, along with the water fluctuations.

3 lbs of fat lost during the week would imply a daily deficit for 5 days of 2100 calories.
    3lbs of fat gained during the weekend would imply a daily excess of 5250 calories over maintenance.

Neither of those is happening. Are you really eating 2100 calories below your TDEE for 5 days? Are you really eating 5250 calories over your TDEE for 2 days?

You might start weighing your food during the week, and think about if you have a reasonable deficit for amount to lose.

It should be about impossible to accomplish what you suggest with fat weight, but water weight, no problem.
    All that means is your glucose stores are slowly but surely being drained all week long, and glucose stores with water.
    On the weekend, you just top them back off again. 3 lbs would be 1500 calories worth of glucose stored.
    But, even in the face of those fluctuations, you could lose weight.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Get new friends, they must be swaying you to go out and drink and eat. Do what I've seen above, keep your schedule you have during the week on the weekend (well minus the working - instead go outside now that it's nice and walk or do activities during the day). You will be so tired, you will want to go to bed instead of going out drinking. I guess you have to decide what's more important to you right now. Partying or losing weight. You can still go out, just don't drink (which for alot of people ya end up at some greasy spoon after a night of drinking! LOL!) Understand this is coming from someone that never got into drinking. I was the designated driver (and the designated person who if you passed out had fun with sharpies on your face!!! BWAHAHAHA)
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I am GOING TO HAVE TWO MARTINIS (Dirty Churchill Martini - Gin with a drop of Olive juice and three olives in the glass) on Friday and on Saturday. One of the ways that I help myself is by logging them in just like everything else. I have found that keeping a clean house helps tremendously (no sweets, treats, fritos, chips, etc.). That way even if I feel like binging my choices are limited to fresh fruits and veggies. I workout six days a week and that also helps. All said and done I'd rather have the martini than junk food.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Every week during the week I clean eat and drop anywhere from 2-3 lbs. easily M-F. I have a lot of weight to lose and it really isnt too drastic, the #. BUT every Monday I am pretty much starting all over again after a weekend full of bad decisions. Does anyone have an suggestions as to how to keep my piehole closed? My philosophy no matter how much I say I am not going to blow it on the weekends is always "well I can eat this as long as it isnt a lot." Which 2 of 3 days works from me but then I drink and compound the problem. Should I just give myself one day to cheat and try to clean eat the other two (we are talking Fri-Sun) or should I just indluge but keep it to a minimum and try to avoid drinking?

I have struggled with the same issue. How i have been successful, is on the weekends, I will eat stuff I like I normally don't eat during the week. However, I will track and measure and stay within my calorie range. This means cooking delicious food at home like burgers or pizza but tracking it and staying on track. Then like once a month, I will just go out and enjoy whatever I want but not be a glutton. Have a nice dinner, go to the movies and get a small popcorn with some candy and just enjoy it. If you want some drinks add that too. Just practice moderation on that day and don't go all hungry hungry hippos (I have done it). Then back on track the next day. That way only one day a month are you really overconsuming on your calories, but still getting that variety you seek on the weekends.

ETA: Also, good for you recognising this is your problem...The majority of the time when people are stalling, it is the weekend binging that does them in. But people think if they are good all week they can go to town on the weekend, which often times just isn't the case.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It may be not as bad as you think. How long have you had this pattern? Over time, you may see that you really are still losing.

This is me:
    Really good m-thursday (drink TONS of water all day Thursday)
    Weigh-in Friday morning. (Average 1.4 loss/week...sometimes .8 sometimes 2.0...you know...)
    Pretty good on Friday.
    Pretty bad Sat & Sun.... (not crazy binge bad, but restaurant and cocktails bad)
    Check my weight on Monday morning. (GAIN --- 3 to 5 lbs---usually 5 --- yikes!)
    Comes off plus my average 1.4 mon-thursday.

I've lost 31 lbs since February. (6 lbs in May, when I really started giving in on the weekends) It works for me and I still feel human. Nothing can derail you if you don't let it.
  • marfhutch
    marfhutch Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is exactly me as well! Although I don't torture myself with doing a weigh in either side ;)

Its the routine change that does it for me. During the week I work full time, live away from home and cook for myself, so know exactly what I'm eating and have time for exercise etc. At the weekend, I'm back home, am cooked for and don't have access to the gym (I can't run!)

I don't think its as easy as just 'do what you do during the week'!
  • kohldawg9
    kohldawg9 Posts: 13
    Options
    It's a choice really, how badly do you want to lose weight? If you want it bad enough you learn to cut out or cut down on some "wknd luxuries". Calories in, calories out no matter what day of the week it.
    I've been through the same battle as you....when one day it just hits....if I keep doing this I will not succeed. It's almost like sabotaging ourselves!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Cheat days might not be right for you right now buckle down for a bit and get under control before you allow cheat days again
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    At this stage of the game, I refuse to have a "down day" - I'm too afraid that if I have one cheat day, it'll be too easy to have two cheat days, then three.

Also, I'm afraid that if I don't see progress after a cheat day, I'll get discouraged and not be able to stay on track (even though I understand that one day likely won't completely derail me).
  • AMM160981
    AMM160981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Like I said its all a mental game. Its nice to hear from strangers that 1) a lot of people have this problem and 2) the support. I KNOW what I have to do, but DOING it is another story. There are a lot of great points made on this post and I am much appreciative. I am very well aware that even though I feel a great boost from this, that the end of the day it is up to me to put words into action. I think this weekend will be a great test/challenge for me to kickstart this second half of a life change. Big birthday bash for my brothers 21st and dads 50th. I will focus on the volleyball and *kitten* evens and stay away from the buffett line and boozing!

I want this. so. freakin. bad. and I know to do it, I have to get my head right and think about how I will feel long term if I just hang on to the short term discomfort from not eating a ton on the weekends.

Thanks again!
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Do what you do during the week. More than likely it was the weekends that got you there in the first place, so if the habits continue, then expect to regain. If you want continued success, then you will have to change what doesn't make you successful.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

IE: Self control is necessary. Be honest, find the actual issues, and deal with them. You have identified that your weekends you splurge (a single day a week is OK!!! but not 2 and to gain back that much thats not splurge, that GORGE) meaning you are dieting, not changing your lifestyle. Adjust accordingly. Also, helps to stay busy on weekends, as nothing kills your self control more than just sitting around bored.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You are being too restrictive with yourself during the week if you are binging on the weekends IMO. Or it could be you have the mindset (like a lot of people struggle with) that you are good all week so you "deserve" to enjoy the weekend. The problem there is sometimes it's hard to stop and you go all out and gain. Then you get stuck in that vicious cycle of gaining and losing the same 3-5 lbs of water weight.

I know you say you want to lose that last bit of weight, but until you get your head in the game 24/7 it won't happen. Maybe try changing up what you eat during the week so you don't feel the need to gorge on weekends, allow for a treat each day. Of course, it's not that hard to shake your head to the left and then to the right when someone offers you food or beer. *shrug*

Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I HATE weekends! Mondays are always my best day, recommitting after a weekend. I'm really not that bad, but often hubby wants to go out on a date. I just can't seem to go to a movie without partaking of the popcorn and candy, or go out to eat and it's hard not to splurge. Saturdays are often filled with taking the kids to games, Sunday ... three hours of church and family gatherings.

I love the routine on Mon-Thurs. I've been doing better on weekends since joining MFP and tracking my food, but they are still hard. Of course now the kids are getting out of school, and that will mess with my routine as well. At least being so new and motivated here on MFP, I'm hoping to have some continued success even with summer :)
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    bump for when I have the same issue
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Its way hard for me to drink and lose weight. Because I too often drink too much and then I'm hungover and will eat whatever will help the hangover. Then those cravings spill over to Monday cravings and so on.

If I can restrict to 1-2 drinks I'm good. Anything beyond that and I'm wrecked for days.

so IMO, try to restrict the booze. But I know, easier said than done when you want to hang with friends and family and knock back a few.

The other thing is maybe fast on days you have a big food function planned until you go to said function? I've done that with some success. Also tell yourself you can eat one plate, as much as you want, etc, but no seconds and NO picking.
    That is my problem with family, there is all this food out that you can just walk by and nibble on here and there.
  • mainesm
    mainesm Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Get new friends, they must be swaying you to go out and drink and eat. Do what I've seen above, keep your schedule you have during the week on the weekend (well minus the working - instead go outside now that it's nice and walk or do activities during the day). You will be so tired, you will want to go to bed instead of going out drinking. I guess you have to decide what's more important to you right now. Partying or losing weight. You can still go out, just don't drink (which for alot of people ya end up at some greasy spoon after a night of drinking! LOL!) Understand this is coming from someone that never got into drinking. I was the designated driver (and the designated person who if you passed out had fun with sharpies on your face!!! BWAHAHAHA)

Yeah get new friends.... lol
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    two things for you to noodle....first, exercise Saturday and Sunday morning no matter what. If you take a rest day do it during the week. Getting up and exercising on the weekend commits you, makes you feel better, and might even force you to really choose wisely on how you spend the rest of your day after a great workout. It will burn a few extra calories to help with that drink or two you choose to have. Second, choose your drinks wisely....not all drinks are the same on sugar and calories. Look up a rum/diet coke vs. a light beer vs. wine vs. a daiquiri....when you see the calories you may make different choices on the drinks you do have :)
  • walterskh
    walterskh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My calories are always liquid. Typically soda's when hubby and I go out to eat on the weekends. He is retired and home all week so we always have a date night on the weekend and that's where my eating habits go downhill. Then the weekend if full of errands, housework and eating this or that along the way. I need the structure too of the weekdays when I pack my breakfast and lunch and dinner is planned for ease when I get home. I now make sure I have the appropriate breakfast and lunch, then if we go out to dinner I am ordering what I want and then asking for a box, or splitting a meal with the hubby so I am satisfied, but portions are smaller. I also order a soda and a water and refuse a refill. I am finding a drink a small amount of coke for "the taste" but end upp drinking more water with my meal. No alcohol at all.