Throwing in the Towel/Waiving that White Flag

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think I'll follow some of the advice here and try to lower my calories while sticking with my carb cycling and track. I really don't have time to measure out my food but I will do better to try and track more.

You can't not measure your food, dude. You are estimating your portions? You are probably way off. Quit lying to yourself.

I don't measure my food. Never have, never plan to. I eyeball ingredients and portions and listen to my body. It works for some.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    im 6 foot on the dot and my sedentary is 1950-2000. I've been losing at a very slow pace on 1700. I think your cals are too high.

not massively too high, but too high. the only other explanation is an undiagnosed health condition. definitely go to the doctor. I say that also cause in my country its cheap.

EDIT: at my current weight its 2000-2100 by catch macardie and harris bennedict
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our body's just do what they want, unfortunately. I hit a stall towards the end of my weight loss and after driving myself nuts trying to tweak what I was doing I just decided to take a maintenance break. After doing this for about three weeks I jumped back in and the weight started coming off, even faster than before. My body just needed a break and after that I continued to see progress. Maybe take a maintenance break and see if that helps get things going again?
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree. I would think you'd be at 1400ish to LOSE weight.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Wow, unnecessary ... I just admitted right before your post that I needed to do better and log consistently... but you're very good at making people feel like crap...

Carb Cycling is not a restrictive diet it doesn't limit the food I consume just the carbs I eat. I can still eat a banana a day just not with a giant bowl of cereal4 days out of the week. It's basically just watching my carbs not saying I can't have dairy, gluten or meat. I've actually found it very helpful and easy and not restrictive at all. It makes me pay attention to my foods and I set my carbs at a level I can manage. The Carb Nite restricts your carbs so low and I can't go that low for that long. I've literally done extreme low/no carb once and lost chunks of my hair.

I work from home so I don't really need to plan anything out I keep most processed foods out of my home and there for am left with healthy snacks easily obtainable.

I apologize all if it looks like I was making excuses I was getting frustrated after a year of trying and still being unhappy with what I see in the mirror.

Hilarious....Actually I support all of my friends very well, i just don't think excuses are the answer for anyone.

I think as women, we find it very easy to nitpick ourselves constantly and are never truly happy with the way our bodies look, we are our own worst enemies. If we finally find something good about ourselves we soon find that someone else has something that we want and then we focus on that. Carb cycling is very difficult because it creates alot of bad bad cravings just because of the sugar however if you can do it then all the power to you i guess. Everyone needs healthy doses of the proper carbs to be healthy. I hope you find what you are looking for in weight loss, seems you have it figured out for sure. Good luck :) Sometimes words seem harsh but its the person who reads it who takes it the way they want that is something i can't help. You can do it, but you have to make yourself a plan and stick to it.

so he says you hurt his feelings by being harsh, so you laugh at him. way to go. you don't need to berate people like its the 80's. jessie ventura mellowed out, maybe you should too.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I think I'll follow some of the advice here and try to lower my calories while sticking with my carb cycling and track. I really don't have time to measure out my food but I will do better to try and track more.

You can't not measure your food, dude. You are estimating your portions? You are probably way off. Quit lying to yourself.

I don't measure my food. Never have, never plan to. I eyeball ingredients and portions and listen to my body. It works for some.

For optimum results weighing is the way to go. I'm glad you believe it's working for you. I personally would be disappointed with 14 lbs lost in 2 years. Like you said though, to each their own :flowerforyou:

If I listend to my body I would be north of 5,000 calories daily. I'm a bottomless pit. I can eat 16 oz of chicken breast, 1/2 lb of potato, 1/2 lb of spinach for dinner (my norm) and be starving within 10 minutes.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

For optimum results weighing is the way to go. I'm glad you believe it's working for you. I personally would be disappointed with 14 lbs lost in 2 years. Like you said though, to each their own :flowerforyou:

If I listend to my body I would be north of 5,000 calories daily. I'm a bottomless pit. I can eat 16 oz of chicken breast, 1/2 lb of potato, 1/2 lb of spinach for dinner (my norm) and be starving within 10 minutes.

^This.

I *thought* I knew what 2T of PB looked like. I was way, way wrong. Turns out, I was probably using double what I thought. That's an extra 200 cals a day. And if you consider that I was doing this with all my other foods, that's a major problem.

Weighing and measuring literally takes an extra 5 minutes in my day. It's not an inconvenience. It's not a time suck. It's just something I need to do in order to get the results I want.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Wow, unnecessary ... I just admitted right before your post that I needed to do better and log consistently... but you're very good at making people feel like crap...

Carb Cycling is not a restrictive diet it doesn't limit the food I consume just the carbs I eat. I can still eat a banana a day just not with a giant bowl of cereal4 days out of the week. It's basically just watching my carbs not saying I can't have dairy, gluten or meat. I've actually found it very helpful and easy and not restrictive at all. It makes me pay attention to my foods and I set my carbs at a level I can manage. The Carb Nite restricts your carbs so low and I can't go that low for that long. I've literally done extreme low/no carb once and lost chunks of my hair.

I work from home so I don't really need to plan anything out I keep most processed foods out of my home and there for am left with healthy snacks easily obtainable.

I apologize all if it looks like I was making excuses I was getting frustrated after a year of trying and still being unhappy with what I see in the mirror.

Hilarious....Actually I support all of my friends very well, i just don't think excuses are the answer for anyone.

I think as women, we find it very easy to nitpick ourselves constantly and are never truly happy with the way our bodies look, we are our own worst enemies. If we finally find something good about ourselves we soon find that someone else has something that we want and then we focus on that. Carb cycling is very difficult because it creates alot of bad bad cravings just because of the sugar however if you can do it then all the power to you i guess. Everyone needs healthy doses of the proper carbs to be healthy. I hope you find what you are looking for in weight loss, seems you have it figured out for sure. Good luck :) Sometimes words seem harsh but its the person who reads it who takes it the way they want that is something i can't help. You can do it, but you have to make yourself a plan and stick to it.

I have to agree. You don't have time ot measure (really?) and you don't log consistently. Yet you are going to wave the white flag without even trying the most simple and successful methods. Simple truth is your eating more than you think you are or burning less than you think you do, or a combination of both. You can stick with the carb cycling if you like it, but is completely unneccessary for the average joe/jane. I know chris powell likes it but thats because he likes to make money.

There is no reason you can't be down 10 lbs in the next two months, at least. Look in the mirror, weigh everything, eat lets say 1700 calories for simplicity sake, keep up with your workouts and you will have success.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Had I started with more lose, I suppose I would be disappointed with the rate of my loss. But since I didn't have much to lose, I'm happier losing it slowly. And in that 2 years I've significantly reduced BF% and inches, so I think I'm on the right track. I expect to take at least a year to lose the rest, if I ever do. I met my original goal (to wear my skinny jeans).

Learning to really know when you are hungry and when you are not is an important part of weight management IMO. At some point shouldn't the goal be to maintain a healthy weight instinctively?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Had I started with more lose, I suppose I would be disappointed with the rate of my loss. But since I didn't have much to lose, I'm happier losing it slowly. And in that 2 years I've significantly reduced BF% and inches, so I think I'm on the right track. I expect to take at least a year to lose the rest, if I ever do. I met my original goal (to wear my skinny jeans).

Learning to really know when you are hungry and when you are not is an important part of weight management IMO. At some point shouldn't the goal be to maintain a healthy weight instinctively?

No, I don't believe that should be "the goal". I think the goal should be to do whatever you need to to achieve and maintain the physique you desire, regardless of weight.

Instinctively would imply you're not using any sort of weights/measures. So no standing on a scale, not using clothing as guide, measureing inches, nor even a mirror. Going 100% off how you feel? That is how most people ended up here and/or overweight. At some point you rely on something, why not just count calories accurately?
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, I don't believe that should be "the goal". I think the goal should be to do whatever you need to to achieve and maintain the physique you desire, regardless of weight.

Instinctively would imply you're not using any sort of weights/measures. So no standing on a scale, not using clothing as guide, measureing inches, nor even a mirror. Going 100% off how you feel? That is how most people ended up here and/or overweight. At some point you rely on something, why not just count calories accurately?

No reason not count calories accurately if you want to. But IMO measuring everything I eat would be cumbersome and since I often do not eat at home, nearly impossible. Obviously we have different goals. Nothing wrong with that either.

ETA: But I do think your suggested implications are odd. Eating instinctively to maintain weight would not mean that you ignore things like your pants getting tight what you see in the mirror. It simply means knowing your own body and the signals it gives. Much like a new cook needs recipes and to measure every ingredient, whereas a seasoned cook can create tasty dishes from instinct and memory.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My stats are similar to yours:

I'm 5'7" and 184 pounds (up from 168 since the beginning of the year).

I have been eating at 1900-2000 for the past 8 weeks with no real progress (TDEE - 15%). Personally I've decided to let MFP set my calories (around 1650-1700), and I'm going to work out less (I was working out 6x a week, sometimes 2x a day). I set my macros to 40% carb, 30% each protein and fat.

Carb cycling was designed for people who are already relatively lean as a means to obtain even lower body fat. If you still have a good amount to lose, you don't really need to bother with that. A moderate carb diet will do more for you, especially if you are going to keep working out as much as you are.

I just bought my first food scale a month ago. I lost 60 pounds without one, for what it's worth. But when you are trying to lose the last ## pounds, you want to KNOW what you're eating. I only weight meats on my scale. I use measuring cups for other foods. I don't measure every little thing, but it helps to know what an appropriate portion is.

Anyway, good luck OP. Don't give up. I feel like quititng, but I had to change my perspective. Instead of trying to change the way my body looks, I want to be and feel healthier.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Yep I agree. I would think you'd be at 1400ish to LOSE weight.

1400 for someone 5'8?? at her activity level? I'm 5'2 and eat 1600 to lose.
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It wssnt untill i started measuring my food that i realised how many calories i was eating. You should try it even if its only for a week to get the idea - it does become addictive though when each time is a suprise at how much you can eat for "x" ammount of calories or carbs etc..
  • JLANGSTA
    JLANGSTA Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    have you checked your measurements?

to stay in ketosis (fat-burning), you need to be eating 85-100g carb every day, and limit the exercise.

i am doing an awesome program that has rocked for me, the only thing that worked after MFP, WW, JC, etc. I'd love to share with you if you're interested.

jensmyfriend@gmail.com
    also on FB: https://www.facebook.com/jensmyfriend
  • JLANGSTA
    JLANGSTA Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, how is your water intake? Shoot for 100 oz + a day.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps. I'm going through h a really stressful time right now (full of insomnia and low appetite) so once I get my appetite back I will try to measure more of my foods. I have a food scale (husband bakes). I should say I already measure some foods - yogurt, Veggie straws, cheese, etc. I just didn't measure EVERYTHING. But I'm back to trying, it's a start. Going to keep my calories around 1500-1600 a few months back I tried this and didn't lose but maybe my portions were off since I wasn't measuring. I will try to see a doctor to get my hormones checked.

I like carb cycling simply because it helps keep me away from eating bread or potatoes or rice with EVERY MEAL. And there are days where I don't pay attention to carbs it's literally 4 days a week where I try to watch my carbs and the rest I still try to pay attention. To each their own, I like this, it works for me.

Thank you all for your help and I'm sorry if I came across as close minded or mean. Frustrations can turn anyone into a monster. Thanks for sticking with me.