Fitbit Zip, UP by Jawbone or Nike+ Fuelband. Which one?

Options
trhjrh06
trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
I have an apple giftcard. And I am thinking of using it on one of these 3 things. But I'm not really sure which one I want, or if any of them are worth it.

Replies

• AJinBirmingham
    Options
    No. Unless you particularly enjoy gadgetry, you don't need any of them.

With calorie counting, you'll always be working within a margin of error. If you're not losing, eat less, move more, or do both - you can just as effectively wing it and get the results you want without additional wiring and programming.

If you like gadgetry and enjoy the wiring and programming part, then go ahead and enjoy - but if you're just thinking about your weight loss . . . they're unecessary extra time/money/work.
  • balticzar
    balticzar Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it would be a good motivator. Like AJ said it's not 'necessary,' but if you think it will help motivate you to move more (and eat less) I say go for it. Especially if you have a gift card and all or a large portion of the price will be subsidized by the card.

I had a FitBit Ultra but sometimes left it home so I moved on to a MotoActv watch (wearable). However, FitBit has come out with the FitBit Flex (a wearable wrist device) and I think that will be my next purchase. It also can be linked to MyFitnessPal.

FitBit's mantra is to walk/log 10,000 steps a day (approximately 5 miles depending on your stride/gait). I loved checking it as I continued to try and attain that 10,000 mark. I started out doing those daily challenges (didn't always hit 10,000) and I now have two 5K events under my belt. I say go for it! Read some reviews online. Depending on what type of phone you have might determine the better device for you. For example the Nike FuelBand does not sync with Android.
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am currently considering these same devices! I would love to hear if anyone has had positive or negative experiences with them.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip and I absolutely love it. It's a great motivational tool. It also helps me get a better idea of what my TDEE is on a day to day basis. I think it (and MFP) both underestimate my calorie burn though, since I have both set to 1lb per week loss and yet I'm averaging 2lbs per week loss. I still use my HRM for cardio exercises, but for just getting an idea of how active you are outside of exercise, it is a great tool.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. Greatly appreciated.
    I have not decided if I will get one or any of them. I have $150 gift card for Apple and not sure what else I could use it on so it was just something I was considering. Might do some more research.