Replies

• Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i love bread i dont cut out i just cut down
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat bread, potatoes, corn, quinoa, muffins, crackers, and fruit. I eat between 200-300 g of carbs per day. I don't eat pasta very often. It's just not a favorite.
    ETA I forgot to say that I eat carbs morning, noon, and night. :wink:
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I do eat carbs...I've heard/experienced/seen some people get really moody from eliminating them...but I know this regimen affects different people differently. :-)

I've seen articles lately of professionals and different analyses conducted about the food we consume. And I once drove myself crazy with trying to cut out all of the 'bad' food...which most of it is bad, unless you have the $$$ to buy all organic. (My dad's a diabetic, so he really reads into ingredients.)

It's not necessarily the type of food you consume that matters, but the quantity. Moderation is key. A doctor did a study and ate nothing but junk food for an entire month - and he lost 25 lbs! All he did was cut his caloric intake. Now, I'm not saying this is the healthiest way, but the bottom line is quantity.

Back to my dad, he really has to watch his sugars/carbs/sodiums/etc. He buys wholegrain breads/rices/pastas and eats them in moderation - so I think you'd be okay with that. Keep in mind that wholegrain products are more expensive though.

Best of luck! And...don't completely deprive yourself; when people do, they're more likely to overindulge in time.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So I have been following a self-hybrided (I made up that word) diet. Trying to cut out almost all bad carbs. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. I eat allot of proteins, turkey, chicken, eggs, turkey, turkey oh and turkey.

short version, getting sick of it. cutting vegetable to low glycemic ones but even skimping there too.

I read in my Les Mills Combat eating guide that they eat things like high fiber whole grain English muffins and wraps and high fiber low sugar breads, brown rice and quinoa. sweet potatoes and other things I was sure were no-no's.

do you eat carbs? do you limit them to mornings? for a person who works out 60-90 minutes 6x a week are they ok if your goal is to loose weight?

There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" carbs.

I eat carbs. They are delicious. Timing/frequency of consumption of any foods is irrelevant and has no bearing on weight loss whatsoever.

If your goal is to lose weight, you do not need to cut out any foods. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of the food you're eating. Simple as that.

^This. I eat carbs all the time. They are yummy. I had 500 carbs the other day and I savored every tasty bite. I also enjoy carbs just before bed (and for dinner and breakfast and really all day). As long as I consume fewer calories in a day than I use, I lose weight. I find the less I restrict foods, the more likely I am to believe that I can and will eat that way for the rest of my life. That's what works for me.

All of this.

Carbs are a great source of quick energy and they taste great too.
  • mariaandnick2
    Options
    Do I eat bread????

Is the Pope Catholic? Yes! I eat bread!!!!!
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So I have been following a self-hybrided (I made up that word) diet. Trying to cut out almost all bad carbs. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. I eat allot of proteins, turkey, chicken, eggs, turkey, turkey oh and turkey.

short version, getting sick of it. cutting vegetable to low glycemic ones but even skimping there too.

I read in my Les Mills Combat eating guide that they eat things like high fiber whole grain English muffins and wraps and high fiber low sugar breads, brown rice and quinoa. sweet potatoes and other things I was sure were no-no's.

do you eat carbs? do you limit them to mornings? for a person who works out 60-90 minutes 6x a week are they ok if your goal is to loose weight?

There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" carbs.

I eat carbs. They are delicious. Timing/frequency of consumption of any foods is irrelevant and has no bearing on weight loss whatsoever.

If your goal is to lose weight, you do not need to cut out any foods. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of the food you're eating. Simple as that.

EXACTLY right.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't cut it out but just don't really like most of the sandwich bread anymore....I pickup some low"er" carb tortillia's and eat those 2-3 times a week instead. I still need carbs in my diet and tortillias are amost more versital than bread.
  • brittanybarness
    Options
    I eat bread, though not every day. Last night for dinner I had a fish sandwich. I eat grains several days a week in one form or another, though I eat quinoa, Flat Out brand wraps (whole grain, high fiber) and brown rice more than bread.

I average 161 carbs per day and 35 g of fiber, so 126 g net carbs. I think rather than focusing on carbs, it's more important to focus on fiber, especially when it comes to grains. High fiber grains are usually more nutritious, fiber can lower the risk of heart disease and keep us regular.

I actually do the same thing she does. I eat bread just not every day.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Never cut anything out. Weight loss and weight maintenance are about learing moderation and exercising your willpower. If you can't do those two things, I think it will be hard for a person to lose weight and maintain the loss. Just my humble opinion.
  • shelliemacs
    shelliemacs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL. You have helped and guided me tremendously.

It is VERY dull to eat a turkey burger and leave the bun on the plate. Especially because they put it on the grill and its got that light crusty exterior (ACK im salivating) and I always have a hard time hitting the calorie goal but eating carbs will help me with that no problem!

I do Les Mills Pumb and Les Mills Combat classes every day but Fridays. I give myself that day off of exercise and man some days I have to struggle not to plunge my self into the Hudson River rather than go to another class where I know I will be physically exhausted even before I start the class due to lack of carbs and then, sweating like a mule carrying packs down the grand canyon, if the canyon were on Venus!

Hello bread Isle, Here I Come!

man just thinking about a Thomas's English muffin make me want to fake sickness at work just so I can go home, then go to the store, buy it and eat it!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, I don't count anything but calories though so my carb intake varies day to day - usually between 100-200 a day. And yes, I eat (GF) bread :)
  • mylast5lbs
    mylast5lbs Posts: 25
    Options
    Nope!!!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When I first started mfp and began counting calories I cut out most carbs for a couple of days. My intent was to get my head in the game and stop eating "trigger" foods - those foods that make me want to overeat. I've slowly reintroduced complex carbs into my diet and just try not to overindulge in the "bad" carbs, i.e., ice cream, cake, etc.

I love sweet potatoes, fruit, whole grain bread and pasta, brown rice, etc., and no longer eliminate them from my diet.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes -bread is delicious and carbs are a source of energy for your body. I have done the no card/low carb thing in the past only to gain any weight lost back as soon as I ate carbs again and did not exercise or watch my calorie intake. it's a bad roller coaster ride to start on. Just eat healthy, whole wheat, vegetables, lean meats etc. If it grows outside on a farm - it's probably good for you. I eat carbs at every meal.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Another YEP here!!! I eat Bran flakes, 100% whole grain breads, potatoes (baked, mashed), oats, beans, pasta...And I am sure there is more..... I just don't eat it them the way I used to!! I portion them now. I think I stay around or below 200g a day. I just had an egg white sandwich on a slice of toast! :)
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with whats called slow carbs. They take longer to digest so they are less likely to become stored as fat. Thats how you separate "Good carbs from Bad carbs". It's a well known fact that whole grains are better for you than bleached flour. Maybe good vs. bad isn't the best way to describe it but the other members on here should get the picture.

Anyways I get a brand called healthy life. They have high fiber and even flax seed varieties of white, wheat, and italian bread. The wheat bread nets 6 grams of carbs per slice and only 40 calories which is awesome. I still try not to eat more than 2 slices a day and I am down 45 lbs since 11/9/2012. I wish it was more. Im not upset about my progress but I feel I have been stuck at 215 for the last 8 weeks.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil.
    I hit my protein goal, hit my fat goal and the rest of my calories go to carbs. Carbs provide your body with energy. I eat bread occasionally but I rather a big bowl of pasta.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When I first started mfp and began counting calories I cut out most carbs for a couple of days. My intent was to get my head in the game and stop eating "trigger" foods - those foods that make me want to overeat. I've slowly reintroduced complex carbs into my diet and just try not to overindulge in the "bad" carbs, i.e., ice cream, cake, etc.

I love sweet potatoes, fruit, whole grain bread and pasta, brown rice, etc., and no longer eliminate them from my diet.

^^^^^ AMEN
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I live for this stuff
    tumblr_md4kqtHAVy1qlmjgm.jpg

Could you describe how this bread tastes & it's texture vs ordinary bread or wheat bread? The package says "creamy" and "crunchy"...how is it both? Just curious because I may try this.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with whats called slow carbs. They take longer to digest so they are less likely to become stored as fat. Thats how you separate "Good carbs from Bad carbs". It's a well known fact that whole grains are better for you than bleached flour. Maybe good vs. bad isn't the best way to describe it but the other members on here should get the picture.

Anyways I get a brand called healthy life. They have high fiber and even flax seed varieties of white, wheat, and italian bread. The wheat bread nets 6 grams of carbs per slice and only 40 calories which is awesome. I still try not to eat more than 2 slices a day and I am down 45 lbs since 11/9/2012. I wish it was more. Im not upset about my progress but I feel I have been stuck at 215 for the last 8 weeks.

This is the bread we use :)