Do you own a scale?

Options
I've always weighed myself at the gym, but I've recently moved and my new gym location doesn't seem to have a scale around. I haven't weighed myself in over a month and I know I'm loosing weight since clothes that haven't fit in a while now fit, but I have no idea how much I've lost. I was thinking about just waiting until I go to the doctor and use my weight from there, but who knows when that will be. I always felt like if I owned a scale I'd be to tempted to weigh myself daily and beat myself up over water weight gain and the such, but now I'm thinking I should just get one to see how on track I am (or how off track I am.) Does anybody just not weigh for months at a time and are still successful long-term? Or do you feel like weighing is somewhat essential on a regular basis?

Replies

• Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    if your clothes keep seeming looser i wouldnt worry about a scale...people get too obsessive with the numbers they see..thats why some gyms dont keep them around. If you feel great thats all that matters..gets to a point where your body will pretty much tell you that you gained a pound here or there anyways..you just feel it.
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    yes!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I weighed only once a week during my weight loss, and about once a month while maintaining. If you are worried about beating yourself up, you can track your measurements instead of your weight. Quite a few people have taken that approach successfully.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't. My kids broke mine. I've just been getting weighed at every doctor appointment I've had in the pregnancy. I refuse to obsess over my weight during this time. It's depressing. However, being in the 3rd trimester and being hypothyroid, gaining only 12 or so lbs is amazing.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Food scale yes. People scale no.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I weigh myself weekly. The day I started, (last June) on a Tuesday, is my official weigh-in day! I keep a personal blog and enter the dates and weights each and every week. While some people have commented that this might be too frequent to weight oneself, I've found it helps keep me on track. Although I fell off the bandwagon for 10 months, I didn't gain any weight back; so that's good!

I believe that I found myself 100 lbs overweight (at my heaviest) because I never did weigh myself, or went months at a time without doing so. So, yeah, I think it's a good idea to keep track, just don't do it daily! Hide the darn scale if necessary! lol

Best of luck! :-)
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes...I only weigh 1x a month though.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those weird people who is actually comforted by numbers, so for me, I would go crazy without a scale and I weigh myself every day, often several times throughout the day. I find the weight fluctuations interesting. I think it's kind of neat to see that, hey, I ate a really high-sodium meal the night before and guess what, I weigh two pounds more in the morning. Then it's gone a day or two later.

But I'm just weird like that.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes, both a food scale and a people scale.

I only weigh myself once per week and then the scale goes back into the closet. I can't have it out or I'd be on it every time I went into the bathroom. While I use it as my main way of tracking my weight loss, I also take into consideration measurements, how my clothes fit, progress pictures and how I'm feeling for judging my progress. The scale can "lie". One week I "gained" 2.4lbs but the jeans that were a bit tight the week before fit perfectly the morning I logged the gain.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, it motivate me to keep going
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I own 2 of them I weigh in every Friday. Its alot easier to lose 2 lbs than 20. So if you can catch the gain at the lower end your better off.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    It's essential for me to weigh myself on a weekly basis at a minimum. I tried going a month without weighing myself to see how that went... It was a no go for me. I need the constant feedback to make sure I'm on track. Doing it on a regular basis helps me keep track of what's a normal fluctuation, and when I should be concerned. I have realized that it's not worth it to obsess over the number EVERY day, as what you eat can make a big difference in water retention.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I own a scale but weigh myself daily. I don't beat myself up over it but its just part of the morning routine. i don't have much left to loose so if I was to go off of how clothes fit and how I look in the mirror, it would take awhile to see results. For me personally a scale at home works.

If it doesn't bother you to not have a scale at home, don't waste the money and buy one. Clothes fitting is a good sign you are going in the right direction.
  • sawiemken
    sawiemken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only officially weigh once a week but sometimes I will jump on to see if anything is changed but I don't track it and don't have a very good memory and so 20 minutes later I'm wonder was it a 6, 8 or 2. I believe God is protecting me from myself with my memory issues.. lol
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i w eigh mysel f once aweek on monday morning naked at home
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yup; weigh myself most days first thing in the morning. I'm sure there are people out there who say that's obsessive and that's okay with me.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes- I weigh myself once a week. I don't like being a slave to it or having my attitude for the day dictated by a number. Once I get to maintenance I will probably weigh myself every day.
  • PrincessYorga
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week (on Fridays) just make sure that I'm on track. But I keep the scale in the spare bathroom upstairs so that I don't see it every day and am not tempted to weigh myself daily! :-)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Yes, it motivate me to keep going

Me, too. I weigh every day. Record once or twice a month
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Yup; weigh myself most days first thing in the morning. I'm sure there are people out there who say that's obsessive and that's okay with me.

Same here.