Couch to half-marathon in 6 month!

Options
I did it, and 4 months ahead of my goal!

In January I set out on a Couch to 30mins in 8 weeks running schedule and entered a half-marathon in October hoping that I could at least finish it. Well on Saturday in training I ran the whole 13.1 miles non-stop, now I'm hoping for a personal best in October!

I'm 42 and although I've lost 20lbs this year I'm still at least 2 stone overweight, what I'm basically saying is if I can do it so can you! :happy:

Jules
x

Replies

• mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    way to go!!!! :happy:
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    That is amazing, congrats!! I'm doing C25K and am about to do my 1st 20min (week5run3) run in about an hour. For me 20 min seems like an insurmountable goal, I can't even imagine running over 13 miles! That gives me hope that maybe one day I'll be where you are. Way to go, you must be sooo proud! :drinker:
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    That's incredible! Way to go!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Well done you!!
  • bjune5
    bjune5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great job. I know you are so proud of yourself.
  • resilient86
    Options
    That's amazing!!! Great work :drinker:

I'm starting the C25k program today. I eventually want to do the Bridge to 10k and hopefully complete a half marathon before I turn 30. Running is hard on my knees, but I feel so good after I'm done!
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Awesome! I had a similar transformation, although it was about 12 years ago. As an ex 3 pack a day smoker and new father, I gained almost 30lbs (and I wasn't that thin to begin with) I finally got so disgusted (after popping a button on my size 36 waist pants) that I decided to go for a 'jog'. The loop in front of my apartment in the bronx went around a reservoir and was about 2.25 miles in circumference. The first time I did it it took me over 40 minutes to complete ( a combination of jogging, panting and walking and puking) . That was April 2002. Before I knew it, I was running the entire thing in 30 minutes, then 20 minutes then 18 minutes! I signed up for the Bronx half marathon in July 2002 (having never run more than 5 miles). I ran it in 1 hour and 54 minutes. Now I was inspired, and over the course of the next year and a half, I ran a total of 4 marathons and 5 half marathons- losing 50lbs in the interim. I ran NYC, Long Island NYC again and then 13 days later, my final marathon, November 2003 was the Suntrust Marathon in Va- and I finished in 3:30. Unfortunately I injured myself, moved to the suburbs, got a new job, had another (3rd at the time) child and gained a good portion back but I am back here now and making strives. 15 lbs to go!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    wow that's amazing!! Congratulations! I'm a C25k graduate and am currently working on the bridge to 10k now that the weather is nicer....perhaps one day I will consider a half marathon!

Thanks for the inspiration!
  • stamfordjules
    stamfordjules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That is amazing, congrats!! I'm doing C25K and am about to do my 1st 20min (week5run3) run in about an hour. For me 20 min seems like an insurmountable goal, I can't even imagine running over 13 miles! That gives me hope that maybe one day I'll be where you are. Way to go, you must be sooo proud! :drinker:

When I started running 1 minute was an effort, on Saturday I ran 2hrs 47mins non-stop, slow pace but it was lifting both feet off the floor at the same time! Just keep progressing every week but keep it under control so you don't get injured, good luck :glasses:
  • stamfordjules
    Options
    wow that's amazing!! Congratulations! I'm a C25k graduate and am currently working on the bridge to 10k now that the weather is nicer....perhaps one day I will consider a half marathon!

Thanks for the inspiration!

I just kept moving up training schedules, followed couch to 30mins with 5k, then 10k, then half-marathon. Also shifted from 3 to 4 days a week. Got to the stage when I was able to look at the plan and adapt it to my personal situation. Worked for me, so far!
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Believe it or not, I never ran on consecutive days- always every other day.
  • stamfordjules
    Options
    Awesome! I had a similar transformation, although it was about 12 years ago. As an ex 3 pack a day smoker and new father, I gained almost 30lbs (and I wasn't that thin to begin with) I finally got so disgusted (after popping a button on my size 36 waist pants) that I decided to go for a 'jog'. The loop in front of my apartment in the bronx went around a reservoir and was about 2.25 miles in circumference. The first time I did it it took me over 40 minutes to complete ( a combination of jogging, panting and walking and puking) . That was April 2002. Before I knew it, I was running the entire thing in 30 minutes, then 20 minutes then 18 minutes! I signed up for the Bronx half marathon in July 2002 (having never run more than 5 miles). I ran it in 1 hour and 54 minutes. Now I was inspired, and over the course of the next year and a half, I ran a total of 4 marathons and 5 half marathons- losing 50lbs in the interim. I ran NYC, Long Island NYC again and then 13 days later, my final marathon, November 2003 was the Suntrust Marathon in Va- and I finished in 3:30. Unfortunately I injured myself, moved to the suburbs, got a new job, had another (3rd at the time) child and gained a good portion back but I am back here now and making strives. 15 lbs to go!

You know you can do it!!!
  • georgiancreative
    georgiancreative Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration! Started running 12 weeks ago, having never ran and nearly killed me running a minute! Now running three times a week, mainly short runs 30 to 45 minutes and doing less and less walking. It is definitely a state of mind thing for me, but am thinking about increasing my distance once i am comfortable running without stopping and would love to be able to do a half marathon one day soon. Maybe i should do what u did and just book one! Would def give me a goal.
  • meVSmyselfjourney
    meVSmyselfjourney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My shero, go girl. Such a victory
  • ghdsmais
    ghdsmais Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!! Like you, I just ran my first Half on Sunday. Truly an amazing feeling!!!
  • stamfordjules
    Options
    Great inspiration! Started running 12 weeks ago, having never ran and nearly killed me running a minute! Now running three times a week, mainly short runs 30 to 45 minutes and doing less and less walking. It is definitely a state of mind thing for me, but am thinking about increasing my distance once i am comfortable running without stopping and would love to be able to do a half marathon one day soon. Maybe i should do what u did and just book one! Would def give me a goal.

Definitely enter something to have a goal. I've got a 10k in July too, so now I know I can do the 13.1mile distance I'm going to concentrate on training for a good time for a 1st 10k then get back to the half-marathon training after that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!