Needs Ideas for a healthy picnic

Options
Candyhorse105
Candyhorse105 Posts: 15 Member
I've never gone on a picnic before, and me and this guy i've been seeing are going to be going on a picnic this weekend.
I will be going to the farmers market for some veggies and stuff. i think to use.

but i was wondering what does one take on a picnic? and if you want to be healthy?

thank you!!!

Replies

• PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A picnic basket.
    yogi_zps4d069574.jpg
  • slenderyeppie
    slenderyeppie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How about a simple roast vegetable sandwich with hummus? You can get whatever veggies are in season, roast them, add a slice of bread and dallop of hummus. Toss a fruit salad with mint. Or make "ice cream" by blending frozen bananas!
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My family are big picnic people - I pack myself couscous with some diced chicken, sweetcorn, peas and fresh pepper stirred through, carrot, cucumber and celery sticks - with some sort of low cal dip or cheese spread, fresh fruit and a cookie or cake (else I know I will be tempted by their lovely things).

My family pack sausage rolls, pork pies, scotch eggs, ham and cheese rolls, crisps and plenty of cakes - which is really hard not to eat :grumble:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Lots of yummy fruit, strawberries, raspberries
    Chopped carrots, celery
    Greek yogurts
    Nuts
    Chicken or ham salad wraps
    Egg and cress whole meal sandwiches
    Tuna and cucumber bagels....etc

Some naughty cake.....and wine : )
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is right up my alley.

If you have a cooler, this is easy. First, decide if you want to do sandwiches/wraps, salads, or canape-style. If sandwiches, just decide what kind of sandwiches you want, make them ahead of time, put them in some Bento boxes, add either chips, crackers, or vegetables as a side, and you're done.

If you want to do salads, you can also make those ahead of the time, put them in containers, dressing on the side. If you'd rather go the appetizer route, get some fresh cold cuts, cheeses, fruit, and veggies, maybe even some hummus, peanut butter, or some other kind of dip.

Bring lots of water. Take some wine or beer (use real wine glasses if you can ... it's way better). And don't forget a blanket. And I'd take some chocolate, too, because it makes me happy, but that's just me.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    don't forget bug spray... :wink: