Mixed Emotions

Options
Someone else's post propelled me to want to write this.

The person wanted to quit. In the post that person specified they are following a specific diet so I can see how the word quit may apply to that person.

But for me this is not a quit situation, this isn't intended to be something I start and then stop once I have received optimal results. I imagine when I get to a weight I am comfortable with I am not going to resort back to pre MFP behaviours, umm ... those are the same behaviours that brought me to MFP in the first place.

I also don't imagine I will spend my life counting calories either. But I assume that eventually proper serving sizes will become second nature just like overeating became second nature at one point in my life.
I also assume that while on the journey of counting calories I will learn to eliminate foods or cooking styles that are counter productive to having a healthier lifestyle.

To me quit doesn't fit into MY equation, there is no start or finish, for ME it is a re-learning of behaviours.

There has to always be room in my life for indulgences such as ice cream, the soda habit is something I can and hope to live with out. I never want to think that it is an all or nothing day because I had some ice cream or even a couple slices of pizza.

I just have to change the behaviour that thinks ice cream and pizza are daily norm's.

This is a journey, a relationship with food and like all relationships, all journeys, SOME DAYS WILL BE BETTER THEN OTHERS.

If I am going to opt for ice cream or pizza I need to make adjustments in my day for such allowances. Maybe more excersise, maybe a little less at another meal, etc.

There is no DIET, no QUIT, no GIVING UP for ME.

For me it is about learning about the foods I eat, being accountable for every morsel I put in my mouth, even if it puts me over my suggested calories intake for the day. It is about adding physical activity as a norm to my life. I don't want to spend the rest of my life going to the gym, I want to learn how to incorporate physical activity in my daily life, some of it is just for fun/recreation and some of it is with the intention to actually burn excesive calories.

There will be days I don't 'work out' or I am super busy and grab something quick and less then ideal to eat, the trick is to not let it be my norm.

If there is anything I know for sure at the age of 33 is that there is an ebb and flow pattern to life, no matter what decision you take there always has to be room for flexibility. Life is never, ever going to go according to plan 100%. We only set our selves up for failure and disappointment with our all or nothing approachs to life whether it is the big OR the small stuff.

Replies

• happyatsea9999
    happyatsea9999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you Vanessa....I needed that. I too have had some bad days and this morning I stuck it out, went to the gym and did my work out even though I really didnt want to. I sure wasnt feeling it before i went to the gym. I thought of the "Quit" word, your comments helped me to get back to the "Can Do" words.
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! :flowerforyou:
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Very well said!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Exactly. . .we can never "quit" or else we will just be going right back where we started at. . .thanks for posting this Vanessa!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    No quitting here. But I think we all have had those days and that person might just need a boost. A push or pull to make it along the way. Thanks for sharing. We must move forward.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    AMEN!
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Very well said. There are going to be bumps in the road on every journey but that does not mean that we have to give up traveling!
  • GrandmasAngels
    GrandmasAngels Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't come this far to turn around, I'm in it to win it. Where's the goal? Spending the rest of my life with my children, and grandkids. My neighbor just had a stroke a couple days ago. Why bad eatting habits,smoking, no exercise. I don't want this to be me:-( This is where we will all be if we don't do something about it now.:-) and we are!!!
  • Vanessa1977
    Options
    one day at a time…

I like how we’ve opened doors and windows of our lives, and invited each other to come in, look around, and get acquainted.

Let’s think of each sunrise as a fresh start, a brand new beginning…

We all need laughing times and crying times… and time for every mood in between.

It’s also what keeps us from taking too much for granted.

I’m just as human as anyone I know… and very thankful that you are, too.

Today. Let’s have the courage to try to change whatever needs changing about us, and wisdom to know what should never be changed.

Believing in ourselves and in our ability to handle whatever tomorrow brings…
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    great post! thanks for sharing :)
  • bmayes
    bmayes Posts: 55
    Options
    Amen and Amen!!! I could NOT have said it better myself. You summed it up! I am so inspired!! I also refuse to count calories forever and not have some of my favorite meals but there must be a balance and an internal, self-motivated, drive to make healthy choices everyday!!! Great Vanessa!!!!! LOVE IT!
  • owengem
    owengem Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic. I have it available for me to read when I'm struggling or thinking of wasting all my hard work for one day if gluttony.
    Thank you
  • jkapp100
    jkapp100 Posts: 34
    Options
    what awsome words, I endevour to accept this is a forever change too
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You Stated it very well... the only thing I disagree with is about not wanting to go to the gym for the rest of your life. At the age of 48 I have officially become a gym rat and I love it!
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :flowerforyou: That was very well put and I definitely agree.
  • Lynz888
    Lynz888 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." -Emerson

I completely agree. Compelling post!
  • tracyts
    tracyts Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm printing this out so I'll have it handy in those weak moments where I think about quitting. Fabulous post - thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, i have learnt that it's about being totally honest with myself. If i eat it i have to log it and be accountable for my actions. I have started measuring my foods properly so i become acquainted with the correct portion sizes. This time round, after having lost over 35lbs and put 19 back on i feel i am finally being honest with myself.

Before I used to exercise so that i could fit a treat in, now my mindset has changed and i stick to my calorie limit regardless of my exercise (this works for me) and it has meant my exercise is to make me a healthier fitter person and not to allow me to sneak treats in. I now love exercising because i haven't any pressure on myself and i am remaining within my calorie limit.

I think sometimes it's just about finding the happy medium that works for us individually so that it becomes a lifestyle change and not something that we have to 'stick' to.

Great post - thanks!