weight loss plateau

Options
Joined Fitness pal just over 8 weeks ago now and managed to lose 45ld. I knew my weight loss would slow down but it seems to have stopped completly. Guess i have hit a plateau anyone one else had one of these and how long on averagedo they last?
Any ideas on how to kick start again? First time i have ever done a programe without the usual food supplements. Just watching what i eat and keeping below my calorie goal.:grumble:

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Have you tried upping your exercise and/or drinking more water? Doing this usually helps me when I'm at a stand-still! Awesome job on your weight loss already!!!! :smile:
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree, amazing job on the weight loss thusfar! Can you provide a little more detail regarding your workout regiment?
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    One other question, have you lost 45 lbs in 8 weeks?
  • wesley1979
    Options
    work out. if all you do is watch what you eat your body will learn and adjust. What seems to happen with most people is they get to a weight and the body increases the way in which it works to be more effiecant. Not only will simple exercise help it will make your placement of weight much more appealing! If you do your work outs in the morning you will burn more calories not only while you work out but for a good while to come. Hiking with additional weight is easy and very effective. when I was in Iraq carrying all that weight I got down to 155 and was lean as all get out and still was probably averaging 80000 calories a day!!! Unfortanetly I got lazy on return but getting back. Motivation for exercise is hard sometimes you just got go ahead and do it despite what the body and mind say. After a few weeks it will become a part of your daily thing! To easy!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Your doing great, hang in there....maybe your body is just adjusting to the new you?
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    If you have lost 45 lbs in such a short time then think it is natural that you have plateaued , as far as I know you need to do something different to kick start the loss but it must depend on how much more you need to lose.
    Would love to know how you managed to lose so much could you please tell us as has taken me 9 weeks to lose 10 lbs.
  • wesley1979
    Options
    also great job staying on the train to loose 45 pounds. I've lost ten since I started the my fitness pal but 10 before it too. this app is a real good tool but it has some inaccuracies so i use it for record and calorie counting. Keep up the good work!!!!!!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau recently and it lasted almost 2 months. I finally had a weightloss on Monday and it was only .2 ounces, but I feel good, and hope it stays that way

However I changed up my routine and increased my calories.

I also try to zig zag my calories, to keep my body guessing. I also increased my water

Just try different stuff and see what works for you
  • wesley1979
    Options
    also keep changing up your exercise is a must or your body will adjust.
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    45 lbs in 8 weeks is a tremendous amount of weight loss, my guess is that you are not plateu-ing at all, but instead your body is probably just trying to catch up with itself. True plataeu's are defined by 0 weight loss and no change in inches (some say it must also be a minimum of at least 6 weeks before it is considered a plataeu). If you find after another week or two your weight is still not budging there are a ton of things you can do to get it kick started... change up what you eat, especially if you're eating the same types of foods frequently (i.e. throw in some new veggies or fruits you don't normally eat). Make sure you're getting all of your macro and micro nutrients in the right amounts. Eat smaller meals more often, rather than fewer larger meals. Mix up your workout routine, and if you're only doing strength training, add in more cardio.
  • dreamm
    dreamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments, Regarding exercise i had'nt really exercised other than plenty of walking which is the norm in my line of walk. That said i have just started cross training 15 minutes morning & night, will increase slowly as fitness retuns. As i started @ 139kg. This is not a diet for me, it;s a change in life style.
    I rarley ever had breakfast, hit miss with lunch times, general got so hungry would snack before evening meal and then after. But main evening meals always consisted of either pasta or rice. Note takeaways and chips etc was very rare.
    Started eating,a light breakfast, some fruit around 10, light lunch, fruit around 3 and home for tea. and finished with fruit.
    Must say i have never eatern so well 5-6 small meals a day. No secret just what the experts keeping telling us all. Put it into practice. I have no intentions of running to the cupboards because i hit a plateau. Just wonder if any other members have been in this sistuation.