Protein pancakes have gone to s**t

Options
Hey all,

I saw some great recipes for pancakes that you can include your protein shake in. So I gave it a shot!

I stuck in 1 scoop of anabolic matrix protein shake, 2 eggs and about half a cup of milk with some raisins (which I wont do again after seeing how many carbs were in those little bi***es)

I lightly oiled the pan with butter and let it heat a little, poured in the mix and waited a while. The thing just stuck to the dang pan and fell apart the moment I so much as poked it. Ended up with scrambled egg protein thingy... I tried my second pancake with more oil.. sunflower oil (making them even more unhealthy) and the second one just went black on one side and fell apart again.

Guide me oh wise ones on how I make these dang pancakes properly.. I am confuddled and I feel like a bit of a tard right now.

Replies

• Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I got a laugh out of your post if that helps? lol

I tried cottage cheese and a scoop of protein powder last night...good god it was bad.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't know the recipes.. but you need flour or something in there.. I would think.. wheat flour.. oat flour.. almond flour.. something to make it stick together?? Sounds like you shoulf o just grinded up the raisins and drankt he thing..

ETA: Cottage cheese = barf city!!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Maybe it needs to cook more on the one side before you flip it? Is your pan non-stick or stainless steel/copper? Perhaps cooking spray will work better than butter (because it coats more evenly)? Maybe the pan is too hot? I'm not sure of the properties of sunflower oil, but it was probably the oil that was burning if the pancake didn't burn before, but burnt after the change in oil.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Dang the science of a pancake.. I just wanted a way of getting my protein shake and eggs in after the gym without eating eggs and drinking shake lol. I thought.. ooh pancakes with eggs and shake is the solution!!

God damn cottage cheese and shake... that must of been freakin aweful bro.

Dont think the pan is non stick :/. What other awesome thing could I do with eggs that would not.. well.. taste like egg
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe:

5 tablespoons vanilla (or any flavor, I prefer vanilla) protein powder*
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    pinch of salt
    2 eggs
    1 tabelespoon of water

Mix the protein powder, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and water. Pour the egg mixture into the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Don't overmix, but don't leave lumps either. They're nasty. Next, heat up a skillet on MEDIUM. Do not put the skillet on high as this will burn the pancakes. Make sure to use a LOT of nonstick spray in the skillet. Spoon your pancake batter in the skillet (depends on how big and how many pancakes you want). Watch the pancake(s) carefuly and when the edges start getting a "dry" look, it's time to gently turn them on the other side. You can lift up an edge and make sure the pancake looks the proper shade of golden brown. Cook another few minutes until the other side is also golden brown. Remove to a plate.

*I've found that the higher quality protein doesn't work as well. For protein pancakes, I buy the vanilla flavored cheap Muscle Milk my local grocery story. I've tried using the better quality stuff, and I think the fact that the better quality protein powders are made to dissolve easily in water or milk actually HINDERS making a good pancake (but not a good smoothie!)

BTW, I got a good laugh at your post. Especially about the raisin b*****es.

ETA: A non-stick pan is also key here. Agree with other posters that it's a good investment.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe for you, but I'm guessing you had the heat too high and/or made your pancakes too large.

Not sure what kind of pan you're using, but you might want to think about upgrading that. I've got a couple Calphalon non-stick skillets that are head and shoulders above any other "non-stick" pan I'd used before.
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    that was helpful thanks! My protein shake is about 60 quid so its kinda high end (I guess, me donts know me *kitten* from me elbow when it comes to shakes. Got recommended to me by a hench bloke).

So imma give it another stab with a non-stick pan and spray that pan up like I was fake tannin de bugger and see how it goes. The baking powder is certainly an interesting add, guess thats to make em fluffeh right?
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options

Oh wow those pumpkin ones look dang tasty! so using this guides! thanks! no way was my mixture as thick as that though, probably the reason those dang sugary carby little raisin ba***rds sank to the bottom and I was left scoopin them out..

Gj team.. I WILL HAVE PANCAKES
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Make sure to use a LOT of nonstick spray in the skillet.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a healthy food? I don't even dare touching the stuff.. it's nasty.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to ditch the "healthier" pancakes and just eat the real thing if that's what you want. It wont kill you, I promise. It's all about moderation.

I love me some pancakes w/ butter and maple syrup.
  • PamShebamm
    PamShebamm Posts: 54
    Options
    I usually make them with 1 scoop powder, an egg, a banana, a little vanilla, and a little bit of milk.
    But I guess if you're trying not to include carbs, that won't work for you. I'm trying to find one with less carbs too, so maybe I will try the recipe someone already posted here.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    first time i made them they were perfect, when i tried to replicate the experiment, i ended up eating vanilla slops with berries attached.
    try using less liquid, or a couple of tablespoons of flour.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Make sure to use a LOT of nonstick spray in the skillet.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a healthy food? I don't even dare touching the stuff.. it's nasty.
    Nonstick spray is just aerosolized oil. It usually has some niacin or something in it to keep it stable. But it's just oil.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Dang the science of a pancake.. I just wanted a way of getting my protein shake and eggs in after the gym without eating eggs and drinking shake lol. I thought.. ooh pancakes with eggs and shake is the solution!!

God damn cottage cheese and shake... that must of been freakin aweful bro.

Dont think the pan is non stick :/. What other awesome thing could I do with eggs that would not.. well.. taste like egg
    Not sure if this would help, but I sometimes make "pancakes" by mixing two eggs and a banana, the banana seems to help hold it together. Maybe try that with your protein powder and see if it helps?
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PcShed
    PcShed Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I been having protein pancakes for years as I use it as a base for my meals. I use 4 egg whites, 50g protein, teaspoon of peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil 20g walnuts and season.

Make sure you got your pan piping hot, spread the mixture as thin as possible and put the gas on the lowest setting. Leave it for 5 minutes, come back flip it and ready in 5 minutes.
    Enjoy
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite protein pancake recipe.......easy to make and comes out totally delish.

http://mealsandmovesblog.com/meals/protein-pancakeswaffles/
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You forgot the broccoli
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon each Coconut flour and milled flax seed, plus one egg and a half cup of unsweetened almond milk, plus one tsp baking powder. This recipe is great, I use it all the time, it is delicious and adds fiber, protein, and essential nutrients.