I Eat Away My Progress on the Weekends

Options

Replies

• meyerstwilight6
    meyerstwilight6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How about, choosing ONE weekend day every couple weeks to not count calories? That way, you are staying on point 90% of the time but you are giving yourself one day where you don't have to be as strict. I do this and it has to work because I've lost 80 lbs :)
  • AMM160981
    AMM160981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Alot of my mentality comes from the fact that my little brother is a BEAST. He has that naturally fast metabolism. So he will really strictly clean eat and workout during the week and then splurge on the weekend. Only problem is that I do not have that metabolism and I do not workout nearly as hard as he does during the week.

I love food and I like booze. I dont think either will ever change- I am an Italian, Greek, Irish mix of conflicting emotions. Do I want to be thin? Hell yes I do. The last time I wore a bikini I was like 6. Do I want to eat? Well who the heck doesnt.

Someone made a good point- my water intake is pretty much cut in half when it comes time for the weekend. And I definitely need a meal plan. This is how my week goes....

M-TH...I eat 6 times during the day.These are planned meals that I make on Sunday.

Breakfast- 2 eggs of some sort and veggies.
    Snack 1- fruit
    Lunch- protein and veggies
    Snack 2- Pop chips. I find that letting myself have one snack that isnt fruit or veggies keeps me on track
    Dinner- whatever I make. I do a lot of stir fry.

I workout I would say on average 3 to 4 time M-TH.

Friday- I get out of work at 1130 so breakfast is typically a a granola bar of some sort and fruit.
    Lunch- a salad or sandwich.
    Then I go for a long run.
    THEN I ROYALLY SCREW UP...
    Dinner is date night on fridays. My inhibitions go out the window and the beer and pizza or cheese fries are flowing.

Saturday- I wake up. Typically not hungry because I am full from the night before. I go for a big workout and then skip right to lunch which is typically a sammich or something light. Then we go sing karaoke or some social thing that involves drinking and grabbing dinner somewhere. or something frozen and unhealthy.

Sunday= my lazy/off day. I do not do jack squat except prepare my meals for the following week....all the while eating quick and fattening foods all the live long day while sitting on my duff watching TV.

Just wanted to spell it out for everyone on here lol I see the problem, I am taking yalls advice, and I promise I will be sending yall before and after pics!!!!

My diary is open to all of my friends, and I welcome advice so please add me and I would love to work on this together with people who are struggling as well!!!
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    LOL i love that the last time u wore a bikini was when u were like 6. ME TOO! i always say that.....and have the same issues as u lol.
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's MENTAL. You tell yourself it is the weekend and you proceed to go against everything you have done all week. You probably do this because you haven't completely accepted your lifestyle change and instead are doing something you feel is a hassle during the week. If it is your lifestyle, it would be how you eat 7 days a week. The day wouldn't change your approach. This is one of the most challenging aspects of healthy living in my opinion and I too still struggle with it at times.

This is so me! So, what's the trick in actually accepting that it's a life style? I don't know why I am having such a hard time with it? Well, I have ideas (I'm going thru an ugly divorce, lost my job, injured my knee, no medical insurance. . . the list goes on) but still, I hate the way I look and feel but when I weigh in on Friday and lose a couple pounds, then come Saturday and I get stressed by an ugly email from my ex, I immediately go to comfort food. Then I say to myself, "I"ve been so good all week, I will only "cheat" today then start new again tomorrow ..... It's like a vicious cycle. This is definitely the biggest challenge for me!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When I go out with friends, I will offer to drive a lot of the time so I only have 3 drinks at the very most (only if we will be out 4+ hours), also log EVERYTHING you consume on the weekends, and pre log alcohol before you go out. If I am going out and not driving I pre log 4-5 drinks, once I have those I look at my calories and make a decision. Don't let your friends persuade you, if everyone is sharing fried appetizers don't be afraid to order a chicken breast or something healthy. You need to make a conscious decision that you need to be healthier for you. Maybe start cooking yourself a healthy dinner before you go out, it will save you money too!
  • seawolf86
    seawolf86 Posts: 55
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. You have to make yourself a routine for the weekend too, even if you allow yourself to have 100-200 extra calories it won't hinder your progress but if you aren't tracking on the weekends you could be ingesting 1000+ extra. As far as drinking, before you go out say "I'm only going to have (1,2 or 3) drinks and stick to it". Also, try to pick smart drink choices such as vodka and club which has less calories or light beer. I used to go out with friends and drink 6-10 beers or countless mixed drinks, now I limit myself to no more than 3 drinks.

Also, try to get in a really good workout since you have more free time!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been in the same situation for about a year now...and I recently just got back to not overindulging on the weekends a few weeks ago. Try to stay busy. I find that's why I overeat, because I can, because I'm bored, etc... And I've heard of one day of cheating (per week) working well, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe allow yourself one 'bad' item each weekend...like one bowl of ice cream or just one drink. Drinks not only impair your judgment, but they add a lot of unnecessary calories in themselves.

Best of luck! :-)
  • fussingbox
    Options
    I do the same thing and need some assistance in avoiding this. My other issue is I have little skinny kids that like fast food and when I order for them, I feel like I should order for me too.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Sunday= my lazy/off day. I do not do jack squat except prepare my meals for the following week....all the while eating quick and fattening foods all the live long day while sitting on my duff watching TV.

I say, start here. This is not a social day for you so it should be the easiest to change. Start by getting up and taking a walk or going for a bike ride. Something fun. While you are doing your food prep, eat that healthy food. If you like having quick and easy, you can freeze portions and just stick them in the microwave. I think a cheat day or meal is better than a cheat 3 days.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Losing weight, eating healthy, and getting in shape is not a Monday through Friday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM job. It is a 24/7 job. Fat does not take a holiday. It take a lot of work and planning to get the job done. You want to wear a bikini? Well, you have to change this habit of eating and drinking whatever you please from Friday through Sunday.

Some people find that preplanning works for them. They decide what they want to eat for the week, make their menus and then shop and prepare accordingly. If you eat out, don't be tempted by the menu. Look at it online, decide what you will order, what will fit into your calorie count and never open the menu at the restaurant no matter what others with you are having.

As for alcohol, I have seen menus where the person has a glass of wine or another drink, but it is only one and it is preplanned into the menu.

As I read the posts, I saw repeatedly that other people have this problem. I think it comes from the attitude that you work hard all week and you think you "deserve" to cheat. You only deserve the reward when the job is done.

Do whatever it takes. Put pictures on the refrigerator, positive quotes on the mirror, in your car, or wherever to remind yourself of your goal. If you want to wear that bikini that badly, you will begin to follow your program 24/7. If you don't, then your goal is not important enough and you need to rethink it.
  • nakfam
    nakfam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this suggestion! Taking a realistic look at what I am eating (or plan to eat) has made all the difference for me! Knowing how much I've already consumed and making a plan for what I'll consume when going out (or just later in the day) keeps me focused.
    One thing that has helped me is to log what I am going to be eating or drinking before I actually consume it. When you enter in that big plate of nachos and pitcher of margaritas and see a huge calorie count staring at you and giving you those dreaded red results numbers, you might be more inclined to make a better decision in the first place. Also, if you are going out to a bar/club with friends, enter in your drinks before you go so you have a limit set in your mind "Okay I budgeted for 3 drinks, and after that I am absolutely done"
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And the thing is, on those weekends I don't think I hardly ever go over the amount of calories it should take to just maintain my weight (280 pounds x 10 = 2800 calories).

To the person who said that we just really aren't logging well during the week and don't have the deficit we think we do, holy crap, if I have to eat even *less* I don't know how I'm going to cope. I'm starving all the time and for nothing, it seems.

Are you weighing food, that is one way to not get the amount of deficit you think you have?

Are you taking a reasonable deficit, too big and slowing your metabolism down is another way to prevent getting the deficit you think you got?

If eating 2000 at maintenance and really maintaining, and then you drop to 1200 calories with same routine, math would indicate that 800 calorie deficit should be 1.5 lbs a week loss. But that is rarely what happens.

If your metabolism drops because you just shocked it, and you are tired from eating so little that your actual maintenance becomes 1700 now because you move a whole lot less outside of exercise, then you actually have a 500 calorie deficit.

Now weigh your food poorly and judge sizes badly, and you actually eat 1400 calories, now just a 300 calorie deficit.
    A tad over 1/2 lb a week.

So what appears from math to be 1.5 lbs weekly has become 0.5 lbs weekly.

Exercise more and eat even less, really slow that metabolism down, and you'll find yourself plateaued for months on end, because you are literally eating at maintenance now. Despite it being 1200 calories or such.
  • Kai81109
    Kai81109 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would say give yourself a cheat day every two weeks and try and fit things you enjoy eating in through out the week.... If eating while your out is the problem take something with you when you leave like almonds, carrots, pbj little things to hold you off till you get home. i had the same problem quit drinking smoking coffee but i was still eating bad on the weekends so it negated all the work i did. so on my cheat day i still set it so i dont go over 2000 calories even with my snack and to be honest its gotten to the point were its hard for me to eat 1300 calories now because the bad things i liked before i cant stand the taste of now rather to sweet or salty
  • Marcozuma
    Marcozuma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last weekend. I know better, and all that hard work was wiped out.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I do not "reward" myself with food anymore. If I feel that I "deserve" a treat, I treat myself in other ways. An extra Zumba class (yes, I love it so it is a treat), a magazine that I wouldn't normally read and time to read it, a movie, painting my nails a fun color, a trip to the park with my kids, etc. There are so many ways to reward yourself that do NOT involve food.

I think that's why I don't do cheat days. I eat well pretty much all the time because even though I still enjoy food, it's not how I treat myself anymore. I would much rather do something fun or relaxing as a reward.

Anytime I'm tempted by fast food I think "how much longer am I willing to stay fat in order to have ___________". The answer is I'm not. Most fast food (i.e. cheese fries) isn't worth it to me anymore. Now, a special dinner on a special occasion? Totally worth it and I don't sit it out, but a bunch of crap once a week isn't worth it to me. YMMV.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do not "reward" myself with food anymore.

Awesome advice.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was if I put in my worst case scenario for going out in my fitness pal friday or saturday morning before I went out. Seeing it there in black and white made it a lot easier to find compromises - a salad instead of french fries, one less piece of pizza - 1 bud light instead of a gin and tonic to get it into a more reasonable amount. Also - on nights when I am going out, I aim to just hit maintenance calories which for me is 1,000 calories over my current macros.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I love food and I like booze. I dont think either will ever change.
    Not, if you don't want to change.
    I am an Italian, Greek, Irish mix of conflicting emotions.
    That is a pathetic excuse for doing nothing about your 'problem'. If that were the reason for your problem, every person of those nationalities would be fat.
    Do I want to be thin? **** yes I do.
    Then, stop make excuses and start making a commitment to a food plan that lasts more than 5 days in a row. Your other option is to keep eating and drinking every weekend, like it doesn't matter. Then, you can throw yourself a pity party on Monday or Tuesday, because you didn't get a 'free pass' on the scale for your horrible choices.
    My inhibitions go out the window and the beer and pizza or cheese fries are flowing.

I do not do jack squat except prepare my meals for the following week....all the while eating quick and fattening foods all the live long day while sitting on my duff watching TV.

Just wanted to spell it out for everyone on here lol I see the problem.
    Oh, you spelled it out just fine. You are hoping to justify your destructive behavior, change nothing in this cycle of feasting on the weekends and fasting during the week...but you want everyone to agree with your plan.

I don't know you weight; but I do know your future, if you keep this pattern up. The Italian, Greek, Irish girl with all the excuses is going to become a VERY over weight, VERY miserable, old lady who wonders, "Why didn't I do something sooner?"
    I am taking yalls advice...
    Good! Then...Make a change to your routine, instead of making excuses. Make a commitment to your future, instead of wasting your youth on binge eating and booze. What you are doing is self-destructive and will NOT help you to lose weight.

Unfortunately, good things like weight loss usually require a certain amount of self control and sacrifice.
  • AMM160981
    AMM160981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love food and I like booze. I dont think either will ever change.
    Not, if you don't want to change.
    I am an Italian, Greek, Irish mix of conflicting emotions.
    That is a pathetic excuse for doing nothing about your 'problem'. If that were the reason for your problem, every person of those nationalities would be fat.
    Do I want to be thin? Hell yes I do.
    Then, stop make excuses and start making a commitment to a food plan that lasts more than 5 days in a row. Your other option is to keep eating and drinking every weekend, like it doesn't matter. Then, you can throw yourself a pity party on Monday or Tuesday, because you didn't get a 'free pass' on the scale for your horrible choices.
    My inhibitions go out the window and the beer and pizza or cheese fries are flowing.

I do not do jack squat except prepare my meals for the following week....all the while eating quick and fattening foods all the live long day while sitting on my duff watching TV.

Just wanted to spell it out for everyone on here lol I see the problem.
    Oh, you spelled it out just fine. You are hoping to justify your destructive behavior, change nothing in this cycle of feasting on the weekends and fasting during the week...but you want everyone to agree with your plan.

I don't know you weight; but I do know your future, if you keep this pattern up. The Italian, Greek, Irish girl with all the excuses is going to become a VERY over weight, VERY miserable, old lady who wonders, "Why didn't I do something sooner?"
    I am taking yalls advice...
    Good! Then...Make a change to your routine, instead of making excuses. Make a commitment to your future, instead of wasting your youth on binge eating and booze. What you are doing is self-destructive and will NOT help you to lose weight.

Unfortunately, good things like weight loss usually require a certain amount of self control and sacrifice.

I appreciate your input. I can reassure you that I will be leading a less "destructive" life.

I see that you are also going through a weight loss journey and I know that you can relate in some way shape or form to working on sacrifice and control. You are right, I do not want to wake up when I am older and drastically overweight to ask myself why I did not take action sooner. It will be twice as hard not only on me physically and emotionally.

I am half way through my journey. 25 lbs. down. I am very proud of how far I've come and acknowledging that my weekends are problematic to my weight loss is step 1. Getting support and knowing you arent alone and that this is tangible is step 2. On to step 3 ;-)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat less during the week so I can eat more on weekends and still fit in my weekly goal. I eat 1500 Monday to Thursday so I can eat 1800-2500 on the weekends. I usually show a gain on Mondays due to food weight and sodium intake, but it drops down by my official weigh in on Friday mornings to show a loss.