Calling all health gurus!

Options
I have been overweight since the age of five. Finally, I worked my but off to get to a healthy weight. I was happy and truly loved myself. That was three years ago. I had gained weight when Christmas came around and fell into a depression. Now I am back to binge eating and eating whatever I want. Because of my destructive behavior, I have gained close to seventy pounds. Since that time, I have tried countless times to lose the weight again. I have made promises to myself and to others that I would lose the weight several times. Of course, I haven't followed through. The most I loss on one attempt was ten pounds. Unfortunately, I get discouraged EXTREMELY easily. I have tried Insanity before and got six weeks through it. Why did I stop? I was discouraged because I was eating right and doing the workouts and had only lost five pounds. I am unhealthy and dangerously unhappy. I need to lose this weight or I don't know what I'll do.

I really need someone is educated in weight loss and eating right. I have tried SO many times to do this on my own but I need someone who will be able to call me out when I'm not working as hard as I should be. I am very lenient with myself, so it's hard to avoid temptation. I feel that if I had someone to report back to at the end of the day, it would help me stay on track. Also, I have trouble motivating myself to work out. Maybe if someone could help me plan out a workout schedule I'd be able to stick to it better. I need someone who is going to be tough on me, but also understanding. If you think you could help me, please, please, please let me know. I'm begging you!

Replies

• 20HJIGSAW
    20HJIGSAW Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a guru but i think i can help. First thing i did was consider my calorie intake. Myfitness pal does a wonder job with that. Then i decided to increase my rate of wieght lose but in a healthy way. Of course if you're not losing weight right away you're not going to want to continue. I am currently on visalus shakes that are wonderful help me kick start my body. Of course you don't have to do that either. The main thing is eat more healthy foods. Snack a lot! I eat about 5 to 6 times a day. Your meat that you eat shouldn't be no bigger than your palm of your hand for a good reference. If you have a scale i would say 4oz. The rest of that plate needs to be vegetables. Thats for meals. Snack are smaller usually i don't make it bigger than 200 calories per snack. always eat light before going to bed. Be snacks for getting rid of craving i would say would be celery, cabbage, apples, carrots, and cucumbers. you can eat them til you explode. hope this helps
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    And back away from the scale. I rarely weigh myself because I get hung up on day-to-day fluctuations. I go by how my clothes fit. It was a happy surprise to find after being weighed at the doctor's office that I'd lost 15 pounds in the last year. I just knew my jeans were loose.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    First and foremost you need to sit down and write a pros/cons list for you losing weight. If the cons to you are more than the pros, then regardless of how hard someone is on you, you won't be convinced it's essential. I believe that you may have a mental block on why you don't continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Do you have an issue with depression that you need to get under control? You've done this before, and you know how to lose the weight. The binge eating and depression is the problem. Is the binge eating triggered by depression?

You should talk to a therapist about whatever the underlying issue is. Until you get that part of your life under control, I'm not sure you will be in a position emotionally to maintain weight loss for a lifetime.

As for motivation, no other person can force you to change. You have to want to change and be your own drill sergeant. If you don't care enough about you to change, nobody else will be able to do this for you. We can only provide you the basics -- eat at a deficit, exercise doing something you will commit to, get plenty of rest -- but the main problems you face that got you back to this point aren't something we can fix for you.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I suspect your previous plans were overly restrictive and that makes it very hard to follow for a long period of time. We all get excited when we start something new like this. Your energy level sores, and you feel almost invincible. That passes, and that is when it gets tough. Keep in mind what you were eating to get to this point (no judging on my part, I was there), and work your way into something that fits your lifestyle. This stuff really is not that hard, but we all love to think it is. The trick is patience and persistence. There will be some sacrifices and you are going to need to learn how to cook whole foods in a manner where you enjoy them almost as much as the stuff you were eating before now. If you shop the perimeter of the grocery store you will not go wrong. Those interior isles that are stocked with all the convenience foods should not be visited that often. I am sure you will get some replies of the IIFYM plans. While that works for many people, it does take a little more mental dedication to stick to that idea. Fruits, veggies and relatively lean proteins allow you to eat more food and you will stay full longer. Less cravings, better moods and stable energy all make daily life a little bit easier.

"I need someone who is going to be tough on me, but also understanding. If you think you could help me, please, please, please let me know. I'm begging you! " I dunno about this. You have to dig your heals in if you want to make it stick. Nobody but you can make you do what is needed. Do not make the workout program to onerous. It really does not need to be for now. Work into it, read some books, and be patient. Sorry, it took time to add it to your frame, so it is going to take some time to get it off.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight since the age of five. Finally, I worked my but off to get to a healthy weight. I was happy and truly loved myself. That was three years ago. I had gained weight when Christmas came around and fell into a depression. Now I am back to binge eating and eating whatever I want. Because of my destructive behavior, I have gained close to seventy pounds. Since that time, I have tried countless times to lose the weight again. I have made promises to myself and to others that I would lose the weight several times. Of course, I haven't followed through. The most I loss on one attempt was ten pounds. Unfortunately, I get discouraged EXTREMELY easily. I have tried Insanity before and got six weeks through it. Why did I stop? I was discouraged because I was eating right and doing the workouts and had only lost five pounds. I am unhealthy and dangerously unhappy. I need to lose this weight or I don't know what I'll do.

I really need someone is educated in weight loss and eating right. I have tried SO many times to do this on my own but I need someone who will be able to call me out when I'm not working as hard as I should be. I am very lenient with myself, so it's hard to avoid temptation. I feel that if I had someone to report back to at the end of the day, it would help me stay on track. Also, I have trouble motivating myself to work out. Maybe if someone could help me plan out a workout schedule I'd be able to stick to it better. I need someone who is going to be tough on me, but also understanding. If you think you could help me, please, please, please let me know. I'm begging you!
    been overweight since 7.
    If you are unhappy with something do a change.
    I felt like a loser and a fat *kitten*, so what did I do? Do something so I don't feel like a loser
    I volunteered at the hospital, redid my whole college transcript(srsly), 2.3->3.5 gpa. 48 credit hours between spring, summer, and fall, applied to nursing school. I am now graduating in December with my bachelors in the science of nursing. I don't feel like a loser anymore.
    I didn't want to go to nursing school as a hypocrit and a fat *kitten*.

I wanted to stop feeling like a fat *kitten* so I went and dropped quite a bit of weight extremely fast. I am very knowledgable and what you would called an advanced dieter and knew what calories I would need. Macros based upon feel and was at a 50% caloric deficit from 235-195.

I have faced the death of my 3 family members over the past year.
    2 to cancer and 1 to suicide which was my father.
    I was repeatedly reminded that my family members died because the next exam after each incident was literally about how they died. After my father was suicide/depression exam. After my little cousin's death it was childhood cancer and end of life care. I am dead serious. It was within weeks.

Life is good and there Is no reason to be sad. I still know there are people out there that have had it worse than me

Bottom line don't sit there and worsen your problem. I was tired of being sad, so do something that will make you happy.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think the "guru" you want is actually a therapist. One who can help guide you to find out why you're doing what you're doing. Cognitive behavioral therapy with an eating disorder specialty.

Personally, I've realized that no one else can be responsible for my choices or health. I've got to take the reins. It's one thing to find friends (on MFP or in real life) to be supportive along the way or to ask questions. But no one is going to stop me and say, "Hey, how about a healthier option that fits into your calories and macros for the day instead?" or "Hey, why haven't you gone running today?" I've found that I have to do that for me. Because when the others leave, I'm still left with me and my unresolved problems, and unless I hold myself accountable, I'll eat whatever I want when the others have gone. Similar to DatMurse, I didn't want to be a fat nurse. How was I going to tell my patients to change their lifestyles and warn them of the dangers of being overweight or obese when I myself was obese? I quit smoking for much the same reason (but also because I was tired of it). Every day I'd learn about another condition exacerbated by weight problems, and the list scared me into paying attention.

I'm not a "guru," I don't know it all, I don't know what works for everyone else. I only know what I need to do for me, and that I have a responsibility to myself to treat myself right if I want to be effective at my job (I also graduate in December), if I want to be an effective and responsible parent down the road, and if I want to love myself. I have to make these changes. And I've come to realize that no temporary diet will give you permanent results. If I want to see permanent change in myself, I have to make permanent changes to my lifestyle. Sure, allow for cutting loose now and then. But I gotta be honest with myself and my motives (for why I treat myself right, and also why I don't).

A support group might not be a bad idea either, such as overeaters anonymous (www.oa.org).

And a great book to look into, for anyone with compulsive behavior, is "Codependent No More."
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    As retarded as this sounds. I read naruto(yes its anime)

They have a saying in there that makes a lot of sense and can apply to many things.

"Those who do not understand true pain can never understand true peace"

this is your pain. You just have to find your way of peace