Running apps

Options
scythswife
scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
Ok so I have been reading the message boards but am not seeing anything that I don't know about and not really finding what I am looking for. I have been hearing about Zombie Run apps that are kinda interactive for when u run. Does anyone know of any other apps like that but that are not Zombies? I am not a fan of zombies so I am looking for other suggestions.

I have tried runkeeper, runtastic and am currently using c25k type programs

Replies

• hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I looked for an alternative to Zombies, Run! a couple of months ago but didn't find anything. Checked again just now because I'd love a similar app that didn't involve zombies, but no luck.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper. It's perfect.

Edit: Sorry, missed your bit at the bottom that mentioned it. Why aren't you happy with any of the ones you've already tried?
  • scythswife
    Options
    Runkeeper. It's perfect.

Edit: Sorry, missed your bit at the bottom that mentioned it. Why aren't you happy with any of the ones you've already tried?

I run on the treadmill only since I can't ith my kids. Those would do great outside for distances but not on a treadmill really. The zombie one I did see kinda had a story line to it with and all. I find that I do better when I am interacting than I do just listening to music and trying to run so thought that might help.
  • scythswife
    Options
    I looked for an alternative to Zombies, Run! a couple of months ago but didn't find anything. Checked again just now because I'd love a similar app that didn't involve zombies, but no luck.

thanks I keep looking too hoping I somehow missed something
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You can program intervals into Endomondo, but it isn't always very accurate regarding distance. That wouldn't be a problem for you on the treadmill and you can set it for either time or distance.

And I've tried some of the Podcasts that have you run to a cadence - those are really fun on the treadmill too.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Just to throw out an alternative - most of the training watches (garmin, etc.) have interval functions that can be used for run/walking, speed work, etc. It takes a little more effort to set up, but they really make runs easy to manage. I use the interval function on my garmin 210 for laps at the local high school track and also for tempo runs. The beeps tell you when to speed up and slow down. Easy peasey, lemon squeasy! (that's right, I said it! haha!)

Good luck!
  • scythswife
    Options
    Just to throw out an alternative - most of the training watches (garmin, etc.) have interval functions that can be used for run/walking, speed work, etc. It takes a little more effort to set up, but they really make runs easy to manage. I use the interval function on my garmin 210 for laps at the local high school track and also for tempo runs. The beeps tell you when to speed up and slow down. Easy peasey, lemon squeasy! (that's right, I said it! haha!)

Good luck!

Thanks. I'm not sure if my polar can do that but will look into it. I hadn't thought of it.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I find that if I use Runtastic I end up concentrating too much on it during the run. If it crashes it screws up the whole thing for me.

I would recommend pre-plotting your route on their website and then using a stopwatch on the way round. I have a Casio wristwatch which I use. It's far more reliable.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use the C2-10K on my treadmill, I set my program so its on auto speeds and elevations - This mixes it up some :)
    Have to tried that?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You can use the zombies run! with treadmills & it has the ability to play your music during it as well. It also does have zombie chases in it (you have to enable it if you want it) and that is like a little burst of speed you have to do to get away.

It's actually quite fun & without it I would not have taken to running quite so much.
  • babywing
    babywing Posts: 13
    Options
    I use mapmyrun for my runs. I go out and run, don't use the treadmill. I would think it would work though because it tells me how far I've gone in the time frame and my pace.