How often do you weigh yourself on a SCALE?

Options

Replies

• Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday whether I need to or not, after peeing, butt naked. Any more is a waste of time, any less demotivates me.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of different replies here, personally I weight myself once a day, every morning, other than that its pretty rare. Occassionally at the gym even though their scale is different just to see my progress while there, I jump on before and after a workout.

Every day in the morning right after I get up (after nature is satisfied of course).

Only other time I might get on a scale is after a long bike ride to see what kind of water weight I've lost (I can lose a couple pounds sometimes but usually only when I'm not well hydrated it seems).

Many say don't do it daily but I'm a creature of habit and don't see a problem with a daily weigh in as long as it is always at the same time under the same conditions. This may help, in fact, realize what certain foods do (like eat poorly and get up a little heavier or eat strictly and get up lighter).
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Every morning right when I hop out of bed! :)
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I too get a little crazy with the weighing, I've weighed as much as 5 times in one day... I made my hubby hide the scale at that point.
  • bigmike1974
    bigmike1974 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Daily, after peeing in the morning. BUT I ignore the weight, log it with Libra and look at the trend, nice steady drop. The moving average gets rid of the +/-2kg daily variation and I can see the underlying trend (about 71g a day of weight loss)
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    Most days as they are in the gym but I always consume the same amount of stuff etc to have it consistent.
    If i cant do that then i wont weight myself and if I am not training I don't weight myself.
    Only record if I have gone down :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I'm curious how much I weigh.

Today I weighed myself before breakfast without clothes, and after breakfast with clothes. Gained 4 pounds!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I weigh by filling up a bathtub and measuring how much spills out when I sit in it.

Don't forget that freshwater is less dense than salt water so the actual amount of displacement varies depending on the brine levels of the water you're using. Fresh water has a density of 1.0 while salt water has a density of 1.025. Obviously salt water is slightly heavier than fresh water. The ratio between the two types is 41:40.

See the Ghyben-Herzberg Lens for related studies in the event that there could be a mixture of both salt and fresh water. I just don't want you to short yourself on this depending on the type of water you're using.

You mean I was doing it WRONG this whole time??

I need a formula for brackish water!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both. Personally, I never weigh myself except at the doctor because I obsess and get depressed over it. I go by how my clothes fit, I have a certain pair of shorts that are smaller than everything else and that's what i want to be able to fit into so i try them on once a week to see how they fit.

With weighing every day you can get obsessed over little changes, but if you can accept the changes as a normal part of life then it's good I think because you're very in tune you will learn what foods make you retain more water, how much is due to things like TOM or if you worked out that day.

Weighing once a week or something you're less likely to obsess about it but if you had a lot of salty food the day before your weight might be up a couple pounds and you would just feel like a failure when it's just water weight.
    So it's really up to you, if you feel like you're obessesing about it then I would say do it less
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to stay motivated. I weigh in the morning to minimize fluctuations due to water weight.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    While losing weight I weigh myself every morning. Once I reach maintenance I plan to go to once a week.
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a diet and eating healthy, I weigh myself everyday.

If not losing weight and just eating whatever the heck I want...never. I'm too afraid to find out what the number is gonna be.
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but I find it motivating, not depressing. I have a little notebook I keep next to the scale that I record the weights on. It's nice to look back over the past weeks or months to see how I've done. If I lose, I'm motivated to keep it up and keep seeing the scale drop. If I gain, I know I need to increase water and veggies and watch out for those little treats that miht try to sneak in. I only post my weight here once a week though. It's too confusing otherwise.
  • NEdblT
    NEdblT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Daily works, imho if you're just starting. Gets you familiar with the ups and downs of your body. If you're logging food you may find a correlation. It can drive you crazy doing that so whatever you feel comfortable with.
    If you exercise and burn more calories than you take in, you will lose. Logging ALL food is important. The bar code scanner is awesome.
    To my point your Base Metabolism Index or whatever it's called, ha (Calories burned while you sleep, live, breathe, etc.) you can lose weight with minimum exercise. This I noticed with Nutrisystem, but................... It didn't allow me to maintain after losing 30lbs. You need to Move!!! That's why ya bought a pedometer, right? :-)
    I hope that helps, like I said....IMHO. :-)
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a diet and eating healthy, I weigh myself everyday.

If not losing weight and just eating whatever the heck I want...never. I'm too afraid to find out what the number is gonna be.

I'm the same. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and am actually looking forward to being weighed in because I know it has gone down since my last visit.
  • lizmackay162
    Options
    I weigh every day first thing in the morning. I can put up with bad results so long as I don't miss any of the good ones. Just started here recently and have lost 1 lb. Finding it very useful.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Once a week (sometimes less).
  • Breezy3
    Breezy3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Way too easy for me to obsess about my weight.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself once a week, unless I did something differently that week and just want to check. I tend to post my weight once a week.
  • Receecupp1
    Receecupp1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to everyday. But was unhappy with it...so decided to do it every week to give myself a chance to lose weight so i can see a difference