Weighing food - Advice please!

Options
bonjovi27
bonjovi27 Posts: 144 Member
Sorry, but this is a bit of a rant but I need advice!
This evening I wanted a bit of a treat, and I had a few calories 'to spare', so I decided to have some Doritos - BBQ flavour! Yum :D
I got out my trusty food scale and started weighing them as I usually do. My brother walked into the kitchen and proceeded to mock me, asking had I considered the weight of the bowl etc. and annoying comments like that.
This is not the first time he has done this. What was worse was that my mother and sister, both of which are very supportive of my lifestyle change, didn't say a word! I felt like punching someone!
Just to add - last year my brother lost a lot of weight, simply by doing more exercise and not counting a single calorie. I have found that this didn't work for me, hence the weighing of the Doritos!
I asked him not to make those comments, and he basically refused.
I just want some advice. Has anyone else come across this? What did you say/do to help the situation?
Sorry about the rant, I just wanted to get some advice for when (not if) this happens again.
Thanks!

Replies

• oskeeter1
    oskeeter1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just ignore him. Men have a much easier time losing weight for a variety of reasons. Just keep doing what works for you.
  • Fonarios
    Fonarios Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thats how i feel everyday when im eating my meal preps and my co-workers say that im on a diet because i dont eat the pizza/burritos/ hamburgers...
  • bonjovi27
    Options
    thats how i feel everyday when im eating my meal preps and my co-workers say that im on a diet because i dont eat the pizza/burritos/ hamburgers...

So do you respond? I hate the fact that he thinks he knows what's right for me and mocks me quite harshly for my view being different to his...
  • Mrsmorman
    Mrsmorman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Reacting to his remarks will only make him continue to do these things because you are giving him the response he wants. Put up your brick wall when it comes to your weight loss journey and ignore him and anyone else who gives you a negative vibe. This is about you and for you and no one else's thoughts or opinions should matter if it isn't positive. When he sees he can't get to you he will stop, there will be no more fun in it for him. It has worked for me with my own husband. Focus on you and your goal and that's all. Good luck.
  • bonjovi27
    Options
    Reacting to his remarks will only make him continue to do these things because you are giving him the response he wants. Put up your brick wall when it comes to your weight loss journey and ignore him and anyone else who gives you a negative vibe. This is about you and for you and no one else's thoughts or opinions should matter if it isn't positive. When he sees he can't get to you he will stop, there will be no more fun in it for him. It has worked for me with my own husband. Focus on you and your goal and that's all. Good luck.

Thanks! I kinda needed the 'motivational speech' again :D I guess it just really annoyed me!
  • PamShebamm
    PamShebamm Posts: 54
    Options
    I weigh my food too. My mother, who is not trying to lose weight, understands. My father, who is trying to lose weight, gives me weird looks as if it makes no sense to do so.

Strange, I know. You just have to ignore it. That's really all I can say.