Hello, I'm new here!

Options
Hey guys! I just started really getting serious about running/walking three weeks ago. I've always wanted to be able to just go for a jog but unfortunately I have something that holds me back. Last year I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma. I know that one way to lessen the issue with this illness is to strengthen your lungs and so here I am.

I started with the couch to 5k app on my phone and it put me literally straight into an attack, even using my inhaler beforehand! So I was discouraged and stopped but dreamed on of being able to run and breathe. So I found another similar program but it started out much slower, week one was walk fast for 4 mins and then slow for one. I got through it. Then onto week two where it was run for 1 min and then walk for 3, repeat 5 times. It was rough, but I got through it and without the need of my rescue inhaler. Week three I was afraid to bump things up and decided to stick with week 2 again. But as I laced up my running shoes yesterday I thought, "Let’s do this," and I completed all 7 intervals of week 3, day 1 yesterday. It was hard but not impossible and I feel AMAZING! The pride that comes with just being able to get out there and do it is unmatched! I also have come to enjoy and look forward to my me time at the track.

Now I look at that "color run 5k" flyer in September and think, "yeah, I could do that."

So here I am, an asthmatic mother of two, and I run!

I'm so excited to be here with all of you!

Replies

• Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the first day on the path to the new you!

Friend request sent.

I've had severe adult asthma for years now AND exercise induced asthma - and I started jogging with the intent to run in the future. If I can offer any advice and tips as a MFPal coming from a similar situation - feel free to ask.

I just did my fourth 5k this past Sunday (See Chicks Run) and even bettered my time from last year. So yes, you can do it as long as you start slow you can accomplish anything.

Sign up for that Color Run! Even if you walk the whole thing - it doesn't matter. It's the doing that counts. :bigsmile:

-Lisamarie
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hello Lisamarie!

I just accepted your friend request!

Thank you!

I really never knew you could get asthma as an adult until one day at work I felt funny and couldn't breath. It actually took 3 months to get the right diagnosis but at least now I know what I'm dealing with. I don't think I have exercise induced asthma, I'm sorry you got bogged down with both, that has to be difficult. But as you've just compleated your 4th 5k, I can see even that battle you are winning! That is amazing and so motivating to know that asthma won't stand in my way as long as I'm slow and steady.

I'm still on the edge about the color run. I want to, but I want to run it... my first 5k is going to be that breaking point from struggling asthmatic to runner! I suppose I will just keep gradually incresing my running with my walking and I will get there.

I'm so thrilled to have you as my first pal!

-Dani
  • hsilberman1
    hsilberman1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just started couch to 5k with the goal to strengthen my lungs as well :) I have severe asthma and I have found that running has helped me a LOT. It's really inspiring to see that you've made progress. Great job, keep up the awesome work and have fun!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 'new you'! You are going to do well in days to come. Keep it up!

The Color Run is a BLAST and a lot of folks walk/run it or just walk it - so enjoy it for what it's worth. It's a HAPPY event!! I'm doing my 2nd Color run in September also here in FL.
  • danirosevoelkel
    Options
    Thank you! I love the way I feel when I'm been exercising and knocking down goals

I'm happy to have you guys as pals! I feel the start of an amazing journey ahead :)

I'm looking forward to this running helping my asthma, I went through a very bad patch just a few weeks back when the weather wouldn't decide whether to be hot or freezing. I have high hopes.

I'm getting more and more confident about signing up for the color run...we will see :)
  • danirosevoelkel
    Options
    Hey! I just started couch to 5k with the goal to strengthen my lungs as well :) I have severe asthma and I have found that running has helped me a LOT. It's really inspiring to see that you've made progress. Great job, keep up the awesome work and have fun!

I love that I can inspire you! I can see and feel my progress everyday and its motivated me in every other thing I do. I'm snacking healthier and water, wow I lost count after 10 glasses today. As I mentioned, the original couch to 5k app was too much for me. I found one that started with smaller steps on pintrest and I'm happy to share if you would like it. If not and the original app is no issue for you then that's great!!
  • Kblady1
    Kblady1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm reading my life here;) With the exception of the inhaler I too have signed up for a 5K run to do with my daughter...I have 50lbs to lose and am hoping with the help of this website to track the calories and my personal trainer and the 75.00 I spent for both of our registrations I can actually make this come true! Welcome and would love to have you in my camp:) If you want to friend me that would be great. I was going to start the couch to 5K as well do you think it's too hard?
  • danirosevoelkel
    Options
    I feel like I'm reading my life here;) With the exception of the inhaler I too have signed up for a 5K run to do with my daughter...I have 50lbs to lose and am hoping with the help of this website to track the calories and my personal trainer and the 75.00 I spent for both of our registrations I can actually make this come true! Welcome and would love to have you in my camp:) If you want to friend me that would be great. I was going to start the couch to 5K as well do you think it's too hard?

I will surely friend you! It might not be hard for some other people, my husband is out of shape and smokes and has no issue, but I have asthma and it can really be a struggle to breathe sometimes. I'm proud of my progress and after a few touchy sessions on the track, I can easily tell the difference between and attack and just being a little worn out.

That is great that you and your daughter are doing it together! It's something you will remember for years to come and who knows maybe you will bond better over running and it will be your weekly mother daughter date.

I wish you best of luck. My advice is to start slow and take those rest days! Your body needs them!
  • hsilberman1
    Options

I love that I can inspire you! I can see and feel my progress everyday and its motivated me in every other thing I do. I'm snacking healthier and water, wow I lost count after 10 glasses today. As I mentioned, the original couch to 5k app was too much for me. I found one that started with smaller steps on pintrest and I'm happy to share if you would like it. If not and the original app is no issue for you then that's great!!

I would love to check it out :) So far I haven't had much trouble. Yes I've had a few attacks, but I'm learning to control them without medication. I'm always up for trying something new though.
  • danirosevoelkel
    Options

I would love to check it out :) So far I haven't had much trouble. Yes I've had a few attacks, but I'm learning to control them without medication. I'm always up for trying something new though.

Here is the program I use, http://pinterest.com/pin/175288610468452919/
    I'm glad you aren't having too much issue with the original but it was way too much for me. My doctor said to start small and thats what I did. My legs are so sore today but today is my off day so thats perfect. I have found that I don't have attacks during the exercise as much as after it. But with this new program I've only needed to grab the rescue inhaler once! I also recently switched from symbicort to singulair and it has been wonderful! My children also are on the singulair and my six year old has had great results. She is very sensitve and goes down quick...I really hope she grows out of it!
  • hsilberman1
    Options

Here is the program I use, http://pinterest.com/pin/175288610468452919/
    I'm glad you aren't having too much issue with the original but it was way too much for me. My doctor said to start small and thats what I did. My legs are so sore today but today is my off day so thats perfect. I have found that I don't have attacks during the exercise as much as after it. But with this new program I've only needed to grab the rescue inhaler once! I also recently switched from symbicort to singulair and it has been wonderful! My children also are on the singulair and my six year old has had great results. She is very sensitve and goes down quick...I really hope she grows out of it!

Singulair is a gift from above. I also tend to have the most trouble after my workouts, but if I just chill on the couch (after a cool down of course) and breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, I can relax and it will go away in about ten minutes.
  • danirosevoelkel
    Options
    Yes, Singulair is amazing! Love it!