Phentermine?

Options
124»

Replies

• SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine last year and lost 25 pounds in about 3 months. I didn't have any side effects at the time, had a great amount of energy, and slept like a baby. I used it after hitting a plateau, and it worked really well for me. Also, I didn't use it as a crutch, but instead as a tool. I worked hard, learned to control my diet (with the help of MFP), and stayed at around 1200 calories a day.

Then, my one side effect happened...I noticed my hair began to thin out. Not drastically, but enough to notice. I asked my doctor about it and we went over my diet. Turns out that I was exercise and burning between 500-800 calories a day, and only eating 1200-1500 calories or so a day. I was burning a lot of what I was consuming, so my net calories were extrememly low.

I decided I would rather have hair and lose weight more slowly, and its working just fine for me. I can't really say I regret it, but I dont know if I quite recommend it either. Perhaps if you only take it for a month...or 2 at the max...and make sure you learn from it. But, if you are like most people who take phentermine who don't exercise and don't pay attention to your diet, it is going to end badly!
  • thickizyummy
    Options
    Honestly to each its own. I dont want to take from anyones experience but really some people are just drama kings and queens. I know a few people that have taken or are taking phentermine and its never been anything out of
    Norm.
    A few years back when i first got on it i lost about 40-50 lbs in three months.
    Then i was going to a weight doctor recieving the phentermine and a b12 shot and got on the scale each week for my weekky weighin
    I managed to keep the weight off until i got pregnant with my son.
    I do remember having dry mouth which i loved i never drank so much in my life.
    I did feel like i was on speed, which i loved i would workout for hours and pushed even harder at work,kept me moving.
    I remember my mom and i would joke, " dont eff with me, im on phentermine aka ***** pills"
    cause thats all they do. They make you mean lol and im already mean so that means it was bad. But i was fine at the end of the day. Didnt want to kill myself. I often think about taking a few people out with or without phentermine so hey!! lol
    Anyhow im back on phentermine. My son is 11 months and im still carrying around this weight. Ive done a lot of research
    I now take 37.5 mg phentermine daily
    50 mg topamax daily
    1000 Mg pyruvate daily
    B12shot weekly
    Ive only been back on ohentermine for two days, i had lost 10 lbs before starting from clean eating and excercise.
    Update coming soon!!
    stay blessed loves.
  • jenniferp04
    jenniferp04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person really. After losing a TON of weight on my own, I took it briefly about 4 years ago to help with a very stubborn plateau. My doctor put me on it and monitored everything accordingly. I had wicked cotton mouth, but other than that I was fine and full of energy.

I lost about 30 lbs in 4 months and continued to lose after stopping it. My weight did not come back either because I was already living a healthy lifestyle. In my opinion, if you fully rely on the meds and don't do any work yourself... of course it will come back! You have to set up a lifestyle, use it as a boost then continue the journey yourself.

All in all, I had a great experience with it. It helped me get back on track and once I was out of the plateau I discontinued using it merely because I knew I could do it on my own.
  • yowhuzup
    yowhuzup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Test
  • cekube
    cekube Posts: 2
    Options
    Hmm.... first of all a narcotic is not a stimulant, it is not even in the same drug class. So I am not sure why you are stating Phentermine as a stimulant and as a narcotic which is a pain med. Where did you go to school?
  • cekube
    cekube Posts: 2
    Options
    Phentermine is a stimulant, a controlled substance, narcotic, in the family of amphetamines AKA "speed". You cannot take phentermine long term. As soon as you stop taking it the weight you lost will slowly start to return.

This came from LiveStrong.com

"The drug Phentermine is part of an overall weight-loss program that includes dieting, exercising and counseling. It suppresses the appetite by increasing the metabolic rate and blood pressure. Dr. Sunny E. Ohia has done extensive research on its use, side effects and what happens to the human body when it's taken. It is only to be prescribed for eight to 12 weeks. By that time, the effects of it will be gone; increasing the dosage only causes dependency and an increase in dangerous side effects that are already associated with this drug. Discontinued use of Phentermine causes dizziness, depression and fatigue.
    Most Dangerous Side Effects

Dr. Ohia points out that besides addiction, the most serious side effects of Phentermine are heart palpitations, tachycardia, arrhythmia, high blood pressure, low blood pressure and pulmonary hypertension. Heart palpitations are noticeable irregularities in the heartbeat. They may be too slow, too fast or irregular. Tachycardia is a rapid heartbeat of more than 100 beats a minute. Arrhythmia is a skipping, rapid or pounding heartbeat. Pulmonary hypertension is high blood pressure specifically in the pulmonary artery, vein or capillaries, which are those related to the lungs. It was these side effects, particularly pulmonary hypertension, that caused sudden death for several users, which resulted in the recall of Phentermine.

Additional and Pre-existing Side Effects

Phentermine also causes dry mouth, unpleasant taste, nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea and constipation. These side effects happen in the digestive system, indicating the body is rejecting something it's being given to digest. Change in the libido or sex drive may also occur. A person who has anxiety, a history of drug abuse, nervousness, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, depression, agitation or headaches is in danger, as these are additional side effects of Phentermine or its discontinuation. If a person has psychological problems, seizures, low blood sugar, hyperthyroidism, glaucoma or is sensitive to tartrazene, he is medically advised to be reluctant to take Phentermine. MAO inhibitors cause drug interaction, even if they haven't been taken up to 14 days prior.
    Medical History and Phentermine
    In addition to the effects on the human body that have been described, Phentermine is even more dangerous to the person with heart disease and high blood pressure. Because the most serious side effects include heart malfunction and high blood pressure, Phentermine would obviously maximize the effects of these health problems. If a person is taking another drug that stimulates the nervous system, there is a medical alert against the taking of Phentermine, which stimulates the nervous system as well. This will cause overstimulation, which is an exaggerated reaction to what one sees, hears, touches, tastes and smells. It can also be expressed in the form of hyperactivity or the inability to be normal or calm in activity."
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is a stimulant, a controlled substance, narcotic, in the family of amphetamines AKA "speed". You cannot take phentermine long term. As soon as you stop taking it the weight you lost will slowly start to return.

This came from LiveStrong.com

"The drug Phentermine is part of an overall weight-loss program that includes dieting, exercising and counseling. It suppresses the appetite by increasing the metabolic rate and blood pressure. Dr. Sunny E. Ohia has done extensive research on its use, side effects and what happens to the human body when it's taken. It is only to be prescribed for eight to 12 weeks. By that time, the effects of it will be gone; increasing the dosage only causes dependency and an increase in dangerous side effects that are already associated with this drug. Discontinued use of Phentermine causes dizziness, depression and fatigue.
    Most Dangerous Side Effects

Dr. Ohia points out that besides addiction, the most serious side effects of Phentermine are heart palpitations, tachycardia, arrhythmia, high blood pressure, low blood pressure and pulmonary hypertension. Heart palpitations are noticeable irregularities in the heartbeat. They may be too slow, too fast or irregular. Tachycardia is a rapid heartbeat of more than 100 beats a minute. Arrhythmia is a skipping, rapid or pounding heartbeat. Pulmonary hypertension is high blood pressure specifically in the pulmonary artery, vein or capillaries, which are those related to the lungs. It was these side effects, particularly pulmonary hypertension, that caused sudden death for several users, which resulted in the recall of Phentermine.

Additional and Pre-existing Side Effects

Phentermine also causes dry mouth, unpleasant taste, nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea and constipation. These side effects happen in the digestive system, indicating the body is rejecting something it's being given to digest. Change in the libido or sex drive may also occur. A person who has anxiety, a history of drug abuse, nervousness, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, depression, agitation or headaches is in danger, as these are additional side effects of Phentermine or its discontinuation. If a person has psychological problems, seizures, low blood sugar, hyperthyroidism, glaucoma or is sensitive to tartrazene, he is medically advised to be reluctant to take Phentermine. MAO inhibitors cause drug interaction, even if they haven't been taken up to 14 days prior.
    Medical History and Phentermine
    In addition to the effects on the human body that have been described, Phentermine is even more dangerous to the person with heart disease and high blood pressure. Because the most serious side effects include heart malfunction and high blood pressure, Phentermine would obviously maximize the effects of these health problems. If a person is taking another drug that stimulates the nervous system, there is a medical alert against the taking of Phentermine, which stimulates the nervous system as well. This will cause overstimulation, which is an exaggerated reaction to what one sees, hears, touches, tastes and smells. It can also be expressed in the form of hyperactivity or the inability to be normal or calm in activity."
    Well said. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and not judge , but I know plenty of recovering meth addicts and one who took a friends phentermine and said she felt like she was relapsing.
  • chilltown
    chilltown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off of it quite a few times and I get so scared of gaining the weight back that I end up going back to it...considering it now. I know that slow and steady wins the race, etc....but I guess I get so worried of gaining back that I end up buckling. Let's face it, if I was disciplined, I probably wouldn't have weight issues to begin with.....debating right now what to do...I do feel like I need a crutch....sorry...I am weak I guess!