Another attempt to lose weight...

Options
This is yet another attempt to lose weight in a long and frustrating saga that began a few years ago:

In 2002, I went back to school to earn a degree... full time, while at the same time holding down a full time job. During that time, I gained some weight (which I expected; after all, not much time to exercise). In the several months between finishing the Associates and starting the Bachelors, I lost all the weight I had gained, and then some.... unfortunately, I gained it all back - and then some - while working on the Bachelors.

After graduation and starting my new job, I was eager to lose the weight I had gained, so I started running, in addition to the other things I like to do (bicycling, skiing, snowshoeing). But instead of the weight going away, it kept piling on! And on... and on... It was danged depressing and frustrating beyond belief, running 4 days a week and having to go back and buy BIGGER running clothes, rather than smaller!

After trying a lot of different things, none of which worked, and nearly getting hysterical with my gynecologist (a dear, kind hearted man), we discovered that I am hypothyroid AND gluten-intolerant. I am now on Synthroid, which has helped me with other problems, and trying really hard to avoid wheat, but the weight is still clinging.

I decided that since my metabolism is in the basement (a result of low thyroid), I needed a way to track what I was eating. I didn't WANT to count calories, but I figured it was the only way. I found MyFitnessPal for iPod yesterday, downloaded it, and really liked what I saw. Today, I signed in to the web to check things out. I have to say that I am now very hopeful that I will finally get rid of these pounds that make me feel so awful.

I am pleased to make everyone's acquaintance and hope for your success.

Replies

• robyndanielle3
    robyndanielle3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Glad you were able to figure out that you are gluten intolerant and have hypothyroid. I'm not either of those BUT I have found some great gluten free stuff at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, in Cali!

Sounds like you're on the right track and the pounds will start melting away!!! Welcome to myfitnesspal newbie!! This is a great group of people!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    So many people would say I just can't lose weight and give up. Kudos for you to being proactive with your health and insisting that your doctor get to the bottom of things. Is there a nutritionist you can see who might be able to help you lose with your particular medical issues?
    Good luck!
  • DJDUFFY
    DJDUFFY Posts: 98
    Options
    You are on a Great start by joining this site and making friends along the way.Remember to drink plenty of water.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation where I began to gain weight regardless of exercise and diet. I got the feeling that every doctor I was seeing was rolling their eyes internally and thinking to themselves "Yeah, right! Just lay off the extra helpings already." Finally after trying a new doctor at the insistence of my husband, I was diagnosed with iron overload (hemochromatosis). Since I am very anemic, it was an unexpected result.

Now I am on iron chleating medicine and I am having no problems losing the weight I gained. I think gaining weight because of an undiagnosed medical problem is more common than most people think.
  • smacaulay
    smacaulay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    you have come to the right site - lots of encouragement here! Good luck!
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This site really works if you stick to your calorie and exercise goals. You may need to do some tweaking with your doctor's help to adjust for your thyroid condition, but you WILL get there. :)

I can only imagine how frustrating it is to have thyroid issues along with gluten intolerance. A friend of mine JUST found out the same things. For a second, I wondered if you were her, but she doesn't run. My friend went through almost the exact same issues. No period for 3 months, thyroid issue went undiagnosed for almost a year due to the doc not testing, she's put on around 60 pounds.

Then, last month, she started getting migraines, and found out she's now gluten intolerant too!

But, I promise you, you CAN be healthy with these conditions. And you've made a great first step getting treated properly and signing up.
  • tiffanymeganb
    Options
    Hi, I'm new too, I was just overweight through comfort eating because of home stress, now I'm away from home it's dropping off! Before I was here, I was on Y!A hopefully I can make some great friends here :)

145lb:brokenheart:
    NOW; [3 weeks later] 135-137lb:heart:
    :bigsmile: