Beginner - 5K training

Options
I live in Texas and the Cowtown marathon is coming up in February. I would really like to try my hand at running the 5K portion of it.

I have never been much of a runner but have really been interested in getting into it lately. I have begun the couch to 5K program, but need to know if I have the possiblity of being ready by February. I would think so if I want it bad enough, but would like some thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. from those who have experience with this.

Thanks.

Karen

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this. Once you start running, you will realize it is actually great. I'm not a 'runner' but I'm trying! The C25k program is Great! Best wishes to you! :flowerforyou:
  • hjackson6
    hjackson6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the C25K. How's it going for you? I am on week 4. I repeated week 3. I have never been a runner either so I don't know how it will turn out. But my cousin's wife did this and she now runs all the time.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am actually on week 1 and tomorrow is Day 3. It isn't bothering me at all. It actually seems relatively easy, but I know next week will probably be worse. I'm up for the challenge. I also do at least 30 min. a day of elliptical and have been doing the 30 day shred (most of it anyway) so that may be why it is a little easier. We will see what the future holds!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and the Cowtown marathon is coming up in February. I would really like to try my hand at running the 5K portion of it.

I have never been much of a runner but have really been interested in getting into it lately. I have begun the couch to 5K program, but need to know if I have the possiblity of being ready by February. I would think so if I want it bad enough, but would like some thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. from those who have experience with this.

Thanks.

Karen

Absolutely you could do it!!

At least you want to do it and are not being pushed into it, you are three-quarters of the way there because it is something you desire to do.

Build up gradually and make sure you have your rest days, eat good nutritional food and ensure you take fluids on board during your training.

February is ages away and you will be running 5k before you know it.

Go for it! :flowerforyou:
  • dmbutler9
    Options
    You can absolutely do it!

I did a similar thing - "10 weeks to your first 5K" from Runner's World when I started running. Twelve weeks later, I ran my first race, and finished very respectably for my age group (aka, in the middle).

You have lots of time, so no worries. Just remember that some days will be better than others, but the better days way outnumber the bad days.
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it. I'm in the middle of week 4, although today was very tough. Several of us have been posting on Couch to 5K if you're interested. Check out podcasts, if you haven't already. It's music and cues to walk and run. One is DJ Beatsmith and the other Ullrey. Good luck!
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I'm so excited to begin this journey. I am a stay at home mom and this will give me something to do or ME!