Sort of new with some questions (:

Options
Hello! I'm Jordan from AZ, and I just had a few questions about this website and some exercises (:

For the summer, I just reeeeeaally wanted to improve myself - I should've started earlier last month, but oh well.

I've been reading through SO any forums the past few days, and MFP has been really informative and eye-opening. I've begun the C25K last week and just started Jillian's 30DS & 6 Week 6 Pack videos today which was a really bad idea for tomorrow. ANYWAYS, I've been using the MFP app and recorded my height, weight, age. It says I need 1270 calories a day. I thought it would be fine because I never count my calories anyways and felt like I ate like a cow, but holy crap! I must've not been eating anything before. At 3 PM, I still had 1000+ to go.

I know this is a probably a good intake to go by, but my question is, in general, has the calorie counter always been semi-correct for you? Would my lack of caloric intake be a reason I haven't been losing weight that much?

Am I asking all the wrong questions?? Ahh, sorry if I'm too confusing/confused.

Thank you for answering if you do, and be sure to add me if you'd like (:

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Jordan from AZ, and I just had a few questions about this website and some exercises (:

For the summer, I just reeeeeaally wanted to improve myself - I should've started earlier last month, but oh well.

I've been reading through SO any forums the past few days, and MFP has been really informative and eye-opening. I've begun the C25K last week and just started Jillian's 30DS & 6 Week 6 Pack videos today which was a really bad idea for tomorrow. ANYWAYS, I've been using the MFP app and recorded my height, weight, age. It says I need 1270 calories a day. I thought it would be fine because I never count my calories anyways and felt like I ate like a cow, but holy crap! I must've not been eating anything before. At 3 PM, I still had 1000+ to go.

I know this is a probably a good intake to go by, but my question is, in general, has the calorie counter always been semi-correct for you? Would my lack of caloric intake be a reason I haven't been losing weight that much?

Am I asking all the wrong questions?? Ahh, sorry if I'm too confusing/confused.

Thank you for answering if you do, and be sure to add me if you'd like (:

usually 1200 calories is low for people.
    i dont know your stats, but lots of people loose weight on 1400-1700 cals

and btw, i'm on 1500 and i usually save 1000 calories for my evenings because i'm more of a late night eater. so do whatever works for you.

my suggestion is figuring out your TDEE, and BMR

i started at 1200 and lost 10 lbs, then i completely stalled.
  • TheMaliciousBunny
    Options
    I started out at 175 lbs, 5'8.75, but since starting to exercise, I've gone up to 180 give or take. My scales so ridiculously stupid.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    I started out at 175 lbs, 5'8.75, but since starting to exercise, I've gone up to 180 give or take. My scales so ridiculously stupid.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

try this.

then minus 500 from your total TDEE and you should lose around a pound a week. it's worked consistently for me,
  • peopletalk
    Options
    also when you first start a new exercise, apparently your muscles retain water so your scale will look like you've gained. give it a couple weeks.

i gained 5lbs the first week i started, but it melted off.
  • TheMaliciousBunny
    Options
    Thank you!
  • peopletalk
    Options
    good luck!
  • TheMaliciousBunny
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • ercslc
    ercslc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This thread was really helpful to me - I think 1200 may be too low for me. I feel fine but I've already stalled and it hasn't even been a month yet. I'll try to stay at 1200 for the next week and see if anything happens. If not, I'll reassess based on the information here. Thanks!