Fat girl running????

Options

Replies

• caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    I started dipping my toes into running at 330, now I am at 307 and I run a little bit. I know it's different than road or treadmill running, but I run in place for half an hour several times a week and I've come to really enjoy it. I also run for short intervals outside, and it gets easier the more you do it. I am increasing my time slowly. Seriously, if you want to run, find what works for you and go do it. I know you can :)
  • Kblady1
    Kblady1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT!!

Ok since this site seems to be ok with the whole boobage thing...what do you women do with the at "mommy tummy" I too love to run but that tummy seems to go the wrong way and it makes me very self conscious. I've tried tighter yoga pants...is duct tape my answer too;)??
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm watching the same show and said to my husband if she can do it why can't I? I feel the same way as you and are pretty close to same weight as you. I always here people say you get the same results walking without strain on your knees. But all these weight loss shows show them running? How do we get to the point of loving it?

Omgosh! Did u like cry watching her? Lol, I so did! And I think the runners high that I hear about is true. I never got much of a high from walking really. But, I have noticed how addicted to running people get. How happy it makes them. I want that. I feel like I could love running. Im sure it would take time though.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I am about the same weight and age and run 25-30 miles per week. Just start slowly and get good shoes. Be sure to listen to your body. I started running again at about 260 lbs and ran a half marathon at 227 lbs. I second the core exercises. They will really help keep injuries down.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses!! I'm gonna come back and reread them all. Many good experiences shared and advice and encouragement given. And isn't it just like a "man" to offer duct tape as a boobage solution. Lol! J/k.....some of u cracked me up. Lol. I think I might just try this running thing again. :)))
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I don't run but if you want to do...do it. Get supportive shoes and start slow. Good bra is glamorsize. Good support and no uniboob.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that's me. i'm 214 now and my goal weight is 160. i wasnt always overweight and used to be an athlete and a sprinter, so i LOVE sprinting!!!

i think you might find hat your speed is a lot different off the treadmill than on. my advice is to get OFF the treadmill. my treadmill speed is probably something like 5.2 while my real world speed is more like 6.0 or 6.2.

i'm currently doing the zombies run, 5k app (you can get it on your smartphone) and i love it. it works with your playlists and give you a little tory to listen to while you work on building your speed and stamina :smile:

if you havent already, go to a running store and have them analyze your gait to make sure you are wearing the appropriate clothing.

as far as clothing goes, i've never been self conscious and i'm definitely not when it comes to exercising, so i firmly believe in wearing the right gear. i wear compression pants or capris, i rarely wear cotton shirts because of their lack of moisture wicking (nothing worse than being trapped in wet cotton from your sweat when it's a cool day) but i do LOVE old navy's vintage vneck tees, but normally it's a moisture wicking tee or tank.

as far as sports bras, i'm weird size since i have a small ribcage and large boobs so i was eventually sized out of enell for high impact. i now wear panache which are pretty good, especially since you can convert them to racer back, which provides even more support
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    I can't speak to potential injuries and the likes, but I will say, that when I see larger people running on the treadmill, I think, "now that person is flippin' awesome!". I have a hard time myself and I only need to lose 15ish lbs. There is a lady at my gym that is there every single day, and she is likely 300lbs +, but she is lifting weights and I just want to say to her, "you are such an inspiration!" - but I don't want to come across as patronizing, so I don't, and just smile and nod. :) My point in this, is, if you felt good doing it, and you want to lose weight, GO FOR IT!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I started at 330 and ran my first marathon in less than a year.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5K @ 225 (5'5"). I really liked it because every workout I met a goal. It's very empowering and motivating. The key is to take a rest day when you need it. Listen to your body. Take it one workout at a time.

I just ran my third timed 5K with my best time ever - 32:46! Let me tell you that felt awesome!

Go for it. I may be slow, but I still run! You can do it!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Go for it!

Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Also they usually have some good sports bras there. I do not have a chest issue but I have a friend that has a large chest and she got a sports bra at a running store and cannot stop going on about how supportive it is.

As far as the fear, we are all afraid of new things. I have been running on and off since my early 20's. I have never gone more than 5 miles at a time. I have always wanted to run a half. I am signing up for two half marathons tomorrow and am scared to death I won't be able to do 13.1 miles. I won't know until I try though!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I weigh b/n 207-210 @ 5'2, age 42. Yep im putting it all out there. Something people dont know about me is I would love to be a runner. But im scared. Scared that I couldnt do it at this weight, so I've always been like, "I'll try when I lose some weight". But I want to run to help me lose weight. I remember about 6 yrs ago, I jogged on the treadmill for 11 minutes at a slow rate. It was like around 4.2 mph. Please don't laugh. I have short legs :(. Anyway, it felt amazing (after) I ran that! Felt like a major accomplishment. I'm watching a tv show where a girl started running at 374 lbs!! It just looks so darn painful at that weight. But she turned into quite the runner while she lost weight. I worry about injury at this heavy a weight. I would need a really good bra too. I've never been able to find a supportive exercise bra that didnt give me a uni-boob, lol! Sorry to any guys reading this lol. But I've got boobage :0). So what are your thoughts on this? If I do this, where do I start?

Ok, so...I TOTALLY know where you're coming from. Here's my advice. Just start. I started MFP last year at 270, and started running not shortly after. I got down to 229, but after falling off the wagon for a while I"m back to 240. I've run on and off since the beginning of Jan '12. I still have a hard time most days, and I still rarely can run for more than 5-10 mins straight. I'm RIDICULOUSLY slow. I've been within the last 10 runners at a race. But you know what? I LOVE it! ESPECIALLY races. I signed up for my first 5k last march on a whim, about 3 weeks into Couch to 5k (Which In my opinion is the absolute best place to start. You can google it for online/printable versions or download any of several different free or cheap apps on your smart phone). I still havent completed a race where I ran the entire thing, but the atmosphere on race day is incredibly infectious. I've ran 9 5ks, 1 mud run, and 2 4 mile runs in the time since, and I'll be running (well most people call it shuffling along at my pace haha) my first 10K on saturday. I'm terrified, I hate that most people will still look at me and think I'm the fat girl running. But you knwo what? I am. And you know what? I Still love it! Most people don't care. And the ones who do? Well, they've got their own issues and who gives a *kitten* about them, right? If people are that condescending that they cant approve of you trying to improve yourself? Then they're the ones with issues, not you. You're out there, you're doing something about your "fat". Let them stew in their own misery and go run and have fun!

The best best best place to start (in my opinion) is with Couch to 5k. Do it according to plan, don't try to rush it. It's planned for 3 days a week over the course of 8-9 weeks (It varies from plan to plan, but they're mostly about the same). Just do 3 days a week and most importantly get your rest days. You definitely should go to a proper running store (you can google ones in your area) and get someone to fit you for a shoe that fits your foot. That's a HUGELY important thing for running. I had AWFUL knee pains prior to getting my shoes, and they pretty much have disappeared since I got properly fitted. You definitely need to stretch a lot. But the great thing about C25K is that it takes you through run/walk intervals to slowly build your legs. It takes time but it's SO worth it. As for the bra sitch...I have really big boobs (40DDD) and the best one I've been able to find is Moving COmfort Fiona. Not too much uniboobage, but a lot of support. I've gotten all of mine on amazon.

Oh, and my advice...sign up for a 5k when you're ready (or slightly before you THINK you're ready!) They're SO much fun and race day atmosphere can SO hook you!

GOOD LUCK!!!! I hope you get to running!!

Edited to add: I'm 5'5''. Also...it's important to cross train...do some weights, yoga, etc. Make sure you stretch well, before AND after. I also loooove swimming as it takes pressure off my joints but gives me a heck of a work out.
  • ashleew1117
    ashleew1117 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm about the same weight as you and i was quite embarrassed to start running around my neighborhood. I knew people was going to be laughing at me even if they never even thought about laughing, thats what i had in my head. One day i said screw it. I made it one block without stopping. I haven't really made it further than one block at a time, but i have ran 5 blocks during one walk. It felt amazing to have ran like that. It doesn't matter what weight your at, it just matters that you are doing what you want to do. Your lapping everyone elses *kitten* that are sitting on the couch! (:
  • sbeckys
    sbeckys Posts: 5
    Options
    Sandy just get out there. I will never forget reading an article in runners world that said try for you mailbox. If you don't make maybe you will tomorrow. I started running again at 240lbs. Now I am 155-160 and I live for my "runners high". I am training for my second half marathon and hope to get up the courage to sign up for the full thing next year.
  • courtneymal17
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5K @ 225 (5'5"). I really liked it because every workout I met a goal. It's very empowering and motivating. The key is to take a rest day when you need it. Listen to your body. Take it one workout at a time.

I just ran my third timed 5K with my best time ever - 32:46! Let me tell you that felt awesome!

Go for it. I may be slow, but I still run! You can do it!

haha my pr for a 5k is 42. You're not slow!! But I TOTALLY agree on the how awesome it felt...I had been running 45+ 5ks for sooo long and my friend kept telling me "you're gunna get under 45 i know it" and i just laughed it off, when I crossed the finish line and saw my watch I pretty much almost started crying lol!
  • runningcats
    runningcats Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    First: you can do it! You have the desire - the next step is finding the right program for you!

Like other have said (and I'll paraphrase) - take it slow and at a pace that feels comfortable to you. Couch to 5k is a great program. I've used it many years ago. (Been an off and on runner for the last 25 years, till 3 years ago when it became my way to lose weight!)

When I started 3 years ago, I was simply walking (so I could listen to my audio books!) I won't go through the whole transformation here, but I eventually started using Jeff Galloway's run/walk method - he uses it as a way of running injury free - something that appeals to me as a middle-aged runner!

A story I love passing on is that he has several interval training plans (2 mins run, 1 min walk; 3:1, 4:1, 4:45, etc.) but the story of when he was recovering from a hip fracture gets me every time. He was only 7 or 8 weeks out from surgery, and having gotten rid of the crutches decided to run a bit. He started with a 5 second run followed by 55 seconds walking. Being a life-long runner, he could do several miles that way, but I thought - what a great idea for anyone wanting to start running. Choose a really small interval, and build on that to where you are comfortable. A friend recently said she was using light poles as her goals (run to the next one, walk for a block). I did something similar to that 3 years ago. (I am now running half marathons pretty regularly, and just finished my first official marathon in March.)

However you choose to proceed, listen to your body. It will tell you when you're ready to make the next step, and it will tell you when to keep the pace/time/distance you've chosen.

But I suspect that you'll get the bug quickly and will challenge yourself. :happy:

Good luck!!

P.S. It is National Running Day tomorrow. Just sayin'.... :happy:

P.P.S: Speed doesn't matter one bit. Getting out there does. If you're in the race, crossing the finish line actually is icing - getting to the start (and everything that led up to that) is the most important part. =)
  • courtneymal17
    Options
    A story I love passing on is that he has several interval training plans (2 mins run, 1 min walk; 3:1, 4:1, 4:45, etc.) but the story of when he was recovering from a hip fracture gets me every time. He was only 7 or 8 weeks out from surgery, and having gotten rid of the crutches decided to run a bit. He started with a 5 second run followed by 55 seconds walking. Being a life-long runner, he could do several miles that way, but I thought - what a great idea for anyone wanting to start running. Choose a really small interval, and build on that to where you are comfortable. A friend recently said she was using light poles as her goals (run to the next one, walk for a block). I did something similar to that 3 years ago. (I am now running half marathons pretty regularly, and just finished my first official marathon in March.)

That's EXACTLY how I got through my first 5k! I ran as much as I could hten walked, then decided to start giving myself two stoplights to run, then one to walk, etc. It worked AMAZING!

Also..YAY National running day...OP...you should SO go for a run!
  • runningcats
    runningcats Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Also..YAY National running day...OP...you should SO go for a run!

Heehee --- what she said! =)
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I weigh b/n 207-210 @ 5'2, age 42. Yep im putting it all out there. Something people dont know about me is I would love to be a runner. But im scared. Scared that I couldnt do it at this weight, so I've always been like, "I'll try when I lose some weight". But I want to run to help me lose weight. I remember about 6 yrs ago, I jogged on the treadmill for 11 minutes at a slow rate. It was like around 4.2 mph. Please don't laugh. I have short legs :(. Anyway, it felt amazing (after) I ran that! Felt like a major accomplishment. I'm watching a tv show where a girl started running at 374 lbs!! It just looks so darn painful at that weight. But she turned into quite the runner while she lost weight. I worry about injury at this heavy a weight. I would need a really good bra too. I've never been able to find a supportive exercise bra that didnt give me a uni-boob, lol! Sorry to any guys reading this lol. But I've got boobage :0). So what are your thoughts on this? If I do this, where do I start?

Oh... sports bras! Aren't they wonderful!? I have the Shock Absorber Active Multi-Sports Support bra and I think it is the best bra purchase that I have ever made! It is comfortable and very supportive. They also had one called the Ultimate Run bra but I found it to be too thin for my liking. The Mulit-Sport one can be a bit tricky to get on and off because it has two clasps but it is so worth the hassle!! And it does get easier once you get used to it. lol One more thing on the bra topic: Do not assume you know what size you wear - try them on because they all fit differently. I went in expecting a D or DD... ended up in an E!

Best of luck with your running. I used to love it and hope to get back into it soon. Unfortunately, thanks to some knee problems that sidelined me as a teen, I need to work up to it slowly. Enjoy - it is so much fun!

Edit to add:
    I pinned this beginner's workout program before I joined MFP and started hearing about C25K. Thought you might find it interesting since it sort of eases you into it. running-wide.jpg
  • danglewtf
    danglewtf Posts: 29
    Options
    What they all said! Just start :-)

I'm around the same weight and age as you, and I started running using c25k. I'm not sure if I love it yet, but I certainly enjoy it and as a "old fart" I can happily say I don't give a fat rat's bum what anyone who's watching me thinks of my graceful hippo-like style!

I don't run fast - probably most people walk as fast, if not faster. But I firmly believe that the effort is what's important right now, and that speed will come with experience and weight reduction.

Good bra is important - don't worry too much about the uniboob thing as long as it keeps the girls as firmly anchored as possible!
    I found I needed to change the shoes I was wearing too. Who'd have thought my 5 year old, stinky sneakers would be too clapped out to deal with the extra punishment?!

All the best! Go run the good run :-)