Foods You Thought Were "Healthy" As A Kid

Options
Just for fun :)

What foods did you grow up thinking were healthy for you and could eat as much as you wanted?

Bread/Bread related foods (like Blueberry Muffins.. until I realized muffins are essentially morning cupcakes with no frosting lol)

Butter

Mayo

Alcohol (ok not really when I was a kid but I honestly used to think alcohol had zero calories)

Fruit Juices

Any type of Noodles

Replies

• miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    homecooked food especially my mom's.

My family always emphasized how home cooked food is a lot healthier than fast food's. Of course, in theory, there is some truth, but it can get very calorie dense if not eaten moderately haha.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    food i thought were healthy were fruits, veggies and in general any food that my mommy and grandmommy made from scratch which was pretty much anything. i was pretty much taught that fast food was unhealthy, juices were unhealthy unless you're making them yourself from the actual fruit, same with soda. heck i couldnt convince my mom to let me have frozen pizza and chips until i was like 12 and even then i could only have a certain number a month
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The whole low fat fad in the nineties. We used to eat heaps of sweets/lollies thinking it was ok becuase they were 98% fat freee
  • tprice90
    tprice90 Posts: 8
    Options
    Fruits in excess. "Fruits & Veggies" were basically the same thing in my mind. Of course fruits can be a great part of a good diet, but overdoing it on the sugar obviously isn't.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't think about health at all when I was a kid. I was mostly thinking about girls, watching classics like blade runner, predator, aliens and eating a *kitten* bunch of sour candy. like as much as possible. If i found 20 cents I'd walk 2 kilometers just to get my little bag of multicoloured powder or sour coke bottles.

in short, I was on crack.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Bagels.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Cream.
    Milk.
    Butter.
    Cheese.
    Nuts.
    Fruit.
    Vegetables.
    Meats.

And I was correct. All I was incorrect was of all the things I thought were UNhealthy...
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Anything with "diet" on the label. Yep, I grew up in a household where Diet Coke, Lean Cuisine and Cheez Whiz Light were kitchen staples. *sigh*

And JUICE! AKA liquid sugar.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Bagels with cream cheese. Muffins with fruit in them.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My mom used to make bake-less cheese cake for BREAKFAST on Sunday mornings. Of course, because Mom made it, it was healthy.

Right?

;-)
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    Fruit, fruit juice, diet coke, low fat yogurts, pasta, potatoes, baked beans, rice.... I think more than anything it was the quantities of things. We never portion controlled, I'd come home from school and eat a tin of baked beans, two veggie sausages, and a veggie burger with a cheese slice in white bread... thought it was healthy. I just calorie checked it in my mind and I reckon about 900 cals!!!! All before dinner :explode:

And donughts... lots of donughts, because they were cheap and we didn't have a lot of money. There was always a packet of donghnuts on the side - I never thought they were healthy but because they were small I thought they were fairly benign.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    fruit juice, like any, now i only get fresh and not from concentrate.
    fruit lollys
    thats about it actually haha i had a pretty healthy childhood
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Bread and potatoes (not unhealthy really, its just the quantities we had) a meal wasn't really a meal if we didn't have one or the other!
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    I always thought potato was good.
    Potato smiles and waffles.

and mushy peas.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I always thought alcohol was just liquid so had no calories.
    I'm Irish so maybe that was just a wish :laugh:
  • TreddersPT
    TreddersPT Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    These arent really unhealthy in proper portion sizes but I never realised how calorie dense they were

muesli
    dried fruit
    granola
    flapjacks
    muffins
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice - Yeah, maybe it is healthy, but we used to guzzle it down like water.

Margarine - which we ate a LOT of, as a cheaper and non-dairy alternative to butter.

Jello - yuk, all that food coloring!

granola - my mother used to make this! and it was so yum that we ate bowlfuls of it!

Now that i think about it, those are probably the only things we ate that really weren't healthy. My late mother had type I diabetes, and was very careful about what she ate, so we ate cooked from scratch meals. We were probably the only kids growing up in the 1960s who didn't have breakfast cereal at home, evah! my mother assumed that it was over processed and over sugared and we were better off eating toast and eggs or hot cereal. I think that our problem was that we just ate too much and the fact that my mother tried to control our food (because she was afraid that WE would get diabetes) contributed to all of us kids being overweight and having unhealthy relationships with food.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    fruchtzwerge.jpg

Fruchtzwerge! A German mess of sugar and milk...uhm...I mean "fruit yoghurt" for kids.
  • purplepiggy1
    Options
    fruit juices, dried fruits, salted nuts and sugary muesli bars!
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    How about peanut butter.. FULL of hydrogenated oils.