Ramadan and weight loss??

Options
Hi everyone,

So the Ramadan started today and I really need your help, i need food and workout advice.

For those unfamiliar with the rules of fasting in the Ramadan; people are not supposed to eat or drink anything between sunrise and sunset for one month (it's not as hard as you might think, you get used to it after the first few days:) There are special kinds of food available in this month which are really high in calories like dates, dried fruit and nuts, i used to eat them every year as they really keep your energy up while fasting but i loved them so much i always overate.

So the sunset is 6:38 pm and i sleep around 1:00 or 2:00 am and wake up just before sunrise which is 3:40 am to drink a glass of water and have some dates and sleep again until 9 or 10.

So my questions are; How many meals should I eat between 6:38 and bed time? and how many calories a meal? and which food types should i eat and in what proportion? and when should i eat my last meal? and should i workout while fasting or after? and should i stick with eating a few dates before sunset or not(most people have a full meal at this time)?

I really don't want my metabolism slowing down too much, i want to continue losing weight even if it's at a lower rate. It's so easy to gain weight during this month if i don't take care, i learned that the hard way lol.

Thanks.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I guess you should just eat as many small meals as it takes to get in your calorie goal or close to it. Small regular meals should prevent your metabolism from slowing down. Also, as long as your activity level stays the same, and your calorie intake remains relatively the same, you should loose at about the same pace as you have been because of the calorie deficit. As I understand it, activity has more to do with metabolism than the times you eat, as long as you are eating healthy and giving your body what it needs.
  • naturalShar
    Options
    My advice...do whatever works best for you!
    I do think you should eat foods high in protein so you will have energy to get through the day. A couple of dates won't hurt as long as you know when to stop. Your meals should be higher in calories since you won't be eating throughout the day. Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fruits. May Allah make it easy on us both!

A s far as working out my intensity level is going to slow down...the Tae bo has to stop cause that will sap me of all my energy. I will continue to walk but it will at a slow pace and i have been training myself in the past couple days. Ju st take it easy,nice and slow to keep the metabolism revved up and I think you will be fine Inshallah.
  • fattyellis
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem !!
  • lina20
    lina20 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    have some cereal for sehri .and workout an hour before iftar. so by the time you feel thirsty,you can drink water.
  • pinecone
    pinecone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i don't do ramadan, but i do do early nursing shifts which means i cannot eat 6-3 (which looks pathetic next to your fast! although i know what you mean, after a while you do get used to it and you don't get hungry). i find the hard thing isn't the not eating, but regulating yourself once you know you're allowed to eat again. i normally eat a large bowl of porridge (30-50g, depending on your calorie allowance) with skimmed milk and some dried fruits and seeds thrown in. As soon as the sun goes down, it might be a good idea to start off with some vegetable soup, which will take the edge off your hunger and give you important nutrients. After that.. well, maybe focus on nourishing yourself, but i see no reason why you can't have a few dates or nuts, so long as they fit in with your allowances. those are healthy foods.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem!

I am a weirdo and don't wake up for suhoor, i'd rather sleep. :laugh: I just eat my one meal at night and then I start over the next day. I just try to drink plenty of water at night to make up for not having any during the day!
  • less_carbs_4_life
    less_carbs_4_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone:flowerforyou:

I ate 2 healthy meals today after sunset, drank plenty of water and i'll workout before i go to sleep. I'll try this for a week (including some dates before sun rise) and see the results.

Ramadan mubarak to you too:smile:
  • renau2e
    renau2e Posts: 8
    Options
    Best wishes to you this month! I am struggling with the same thing myself ... I don't want to gain weight during Ramadan this year (as I normally have done in the past) so I'm trying to break up my meals and exercise at night before bed. At least, that's my plan ... I didn't have the chance last night but I hope to tonight! lol

Good luck!!!! Ramadan Kareem!