So...What's My Excuse For Today?

Options

Replies

• disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    what a great story and i do have used many of those excuses during my life specially the mid 20 sailor one just for me it was us army soldiers.
    Best of luck to you and your journey
  • Momof52010
    Momof52010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Truly inspiring
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It's exciting when the lightbulb goes on.

Here's one of mine:

Energy month I have a PERIOD which takes control of my mind and DEMANDS junk food and CRAMPS that won't let me exercise! I'm helpless! NOT!

You've empowered me!
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    people like you inspire me to keep on fighting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're amazing!
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You're amazing!

She is isn't she.:smile:
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely amazing and very inspiring...No excuses is the best policy, if you want to succeed and have a healthy happy life! Thanks for posting this! :)
  • hegster23
    hegster23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! You're so inspiring. No excuses is the only way to go.
    :flowerforyou:
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Amazing, empowering, and inspirational. No more excuses for me! Best of luck on your journey!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Here's one of mine:

Energy month I have a PERIOD which takes control of my mind and DEMANDS junk food and CRAMPS that won't let me exercise! I'm helpless! NOT!

You've empowered me!

I forgot that excuse. I had a hysterectomy in my 30's; so I lost that HAVING MY PERIOD excuse a long time ago. Isn't it amazing how a period can last all month, when you need a good excuse. I'm glad that one still works for you. Don't forget to add, "I'm RETAINING FLUIDS." :laugh:
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Gosh I have so many excuses. I'm young I have my whole life to lose the weight, so false this is the best time to do it. My favorite excuse for not going to the gym is my dog "Oh she gets too anxious if I'm gone a long time and I already worked all day..." My poor Puppy doesn't even realize she's my scape goat :D
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Here's one of mine:

You've empowered me!

I forgot that excuse. I had a hysterectomy in my 30's; so I lost that HAVING MY PERIOD excuse a long time ago. Isn't it amazing how a period can last all month, when you need a good excuse. I'm glad that one still works for you. Don't forget to add, "I'm RETAINING FLUIDS." :laugh:

Used to use this myself. Have friends/co-workers that try to use it now. When they do, I tell them how much LIGHTER and SHORTER they are now that I've lost the weight and how my once debilitating cramps have all but vanished. Some get irritated that I thwarted yet another one of their brilliant excuses others are amazed at all things that being overweight affects. As women we attribute the increased cramping, longer timeframe to age, when in reality age should be taking those effects away.

To the OP, hats off to you! I too had a rough upbringing and went from child to adult and single mother over night. My saving grace was realizing I don't want my kids to have to raise their kids without me around because eating was more important than knowing my grandkids. Now, I am pleased that not only will I know them, but I will easily chase them around. Something I was not so able to do with my kids.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    To the OP, hats off to you! I too had a rough upbringing and went from child to adult and single mother over night. My saving grace was realizing I don't want my kids to have to raise their kids without me around because eating was more important than knowing my grandkids. Now, I am pleased that not only will I know them, but I will easily chase them around. Something I was not so able to do with my kids.

You brought up a VERY IMPORTANT point to this whole post about excuses.

Warning...Something serious is coming. This is going to hurt some of you.

The day will come, when no amount of excuses can justify how terrible you feel in your own body and about yourself.

The most horrible moment comes, when you realize that you (as a parent) helped to teach your children your bad eating habits. You feel like a failure as a parent, when you child is fat and gets called names...like Whale. That was the cruel nickname the some nasty kids at his school gave to my son, and that name stuck to him for years. He would try to joke about that nickname and his size, but he and I both knew that it hurt him a lot.

Those things that hurt him also hurt me, because I blamed myself for his overeating...his food habits. My beautiful boy grew up to be a very fat man and committed suicide at age 33. He never felt good about himself and was obese from an early age. He died weighing about 350 pounds and still feeling like he just wasn't good enough to be loved.

I couldn't help him with his food choices, when he was growing up...because I couldn't even help myself. I taught him by my own example how to eat badly, hide my food and make excuses.

Now, there's a good excuse to over-eat, if you need one; but are you willing to sacrifice your child to use it?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You write very well about something very difficult, without being offensive and I hope a lot of people have read this without commenting, because I'd feel sad if this wasn't reaching more people.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    One of my MFP sister asked my a very important question on my blog which started this post. Here is her question and my response.
    "I'm curious to ask, and hope it's not too personal a question: has it become easier for you to be more disciplined about food now that you are in an unconditionally loving and supportive relationship?"
    The answer is NO and YES.

I have been married to my wonderful hubbie for 8 1/2 years. It took me a long time to accept that he really loved me, when I was so fat. He always told me that I was beautiful and would even point out normal size women and say that I was more attractive than them.

I thought that he had a warped idea of what women should weigh. That seemed to be validated by the fact that all of his sisters were heavy. One was even much heavier than me, and I was over 280 pounds. I was shocked to find out that his former wife and one of his daughter had both weighed more than 350 pounds. Both of them had gastric surgery and lost more than 150 pounds each.

So, I just thought that he liked his women fat. He certainly supported my eating. It was Ed who bought me dozens of candy bars and pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. He was the one who kept telling me that I was gorgeous and sexy. He never questioned my health and insisted that I couldn't possibly weigh more than him. In his mind, I never did weigh over 280. Even when I stood on the scale, he would say the scale was wrong.

For 8 years, my hubbie was the perfect man for me...a loving, supportive enabler.

I didn't see a change in him, until the day that he and I met with my surgeon. That's when Ed got to see the x-rays of my knees and hear the doctor tell me that both of my knees needed replacing and I should not be standing. I know that Ed really got worried, when the doctor mentioned I was at risk for a green stick fracture, a break running lengthwise through the bone. In the x-ray, both of us could see all the small cracks in the bone heads. This was NOT GOOD.

The surgeon told me that I was a great candidate for double knee replacement surgery; and Ed immediately commented, "Good. Do it now...today." He didn't want anything bad to happen to his girl.

Unfortunately, the surgeon added the condition that I had to lose 70 pounds, before I could have that surgery.

I spent the next month looking into gastric surgery, which my doctor and surgeon were both willing to order; but I didn't like the idea of making permanent changes to my guts and the possible complications. Ed didn't say anything; he just waited for me to decide what I wanted to do. I am quite sure that he would have supported me, no matter what I decided...even if I chose to just stay fat.

Thanksgiving week was spent with Ed's sister, and I had finally decided to 'DIET'...that nasty 4-letter word. Ed knew what I was doing, as I carefully selected only a few thin slices of turkey and some salad, while everyone else including Ed filled their plates.

In December, I took it a step further and started consuming only meal replacement shakes and bars each day. Ed was there for me, during that first month of nothing else but meal supplements. He helped me clear out the kitchen cupboards and give away laundry baskets full of food...including some of his favorite things.

It was about that time, Ed's doctor mentioned that he could stand to lose some weight. He was already on cholesterol and blood pressure meds. So, he was really on board for a change in our eating, though he wasn't going to eat like me. He just cut out some of the fatty food and starches.

In December, Ed was delighted, when my doctor told me to start adding 'real food' to my 'diet'. I still hate that word. That's when I decided to count calories and found MFP.

With MFP came a big change in my eating. I wasn't on a 'diet' anymore. I had a food plan for each day. I was already losing weight and so was Ed. Though he never joined MFP, Ed was so curious about all my new friends and my food plan. He began reading labels and trying to find low fat/low calorie substitutes for our kitchen.

Is Ed still my unconditionally loving, supportive partner in my life? YES, but now he and I are both eating less calories and eating healthy choices. Ed is no longer supporting my bad habits. He is cheering me on to Onederland and beyond.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You are so awesome! Thanks for posting this!!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS! Keep going! Lose the last 20 lbs! I was in a car accident last year and broke both of my ankles. I was in a wheelchair for 3 months and had to use a walker when I was going through my physical therapy. I HATED it. It was a small period of time for me, but I can relate....if even just a little.

Toss those excuses out the window and keep the dang thing closed! There is another saying that I like about excuses. "Excuses are for people who don't want it bad enough". ^.~ You seem to want it bad enough! Good luck on the rest of your journey. <3

You are an awesome person, and I think it is wonderful that you have lost the weight you have without being able to really be active. Once you get those new knees, make sure to dance with them!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I read this morning, after waking up early with a headache and while sitting taking some Alkaseltzer cough and cold. Rather than replying, I got up and turned on the Wii, getting in several thousand steps before heading to work this morning.

Thank you.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm speechless. Your story left me in tears, and with the realization that I make up excuses too. "It's never too late" may sound cliche but it's so true. Good luck on your journey :)