Eating calories back

Options
Hi I was just wondering if it is bad for me to not eat the calories back that I have burnt off? For instance today the food I have logged will only come to 866 and the I have added exercise and burnt 686 but I now I will not be hungry for anything else. Is this bad for me?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Expect everyone to tell you to eat more. 866 is not a healthy amount of calories to eat long term. What is your daily goal set at?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You're asking if netting around 200 calories is bad for you? Just to clarify.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Face palm.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just wondering if it is bad for me to not eat the calories back that I have burnt off? For instance today the food I have logged will only come to 866 and the I have added exercise and burnt 686 but I now I will not be hungry for anything else. Is this bad for me?

Well let's put it this way OP, you have already lost 28lbs, you have been here since January 2013 do you not know what works for you by now?
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • puuka
    puuka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Depends how You calculate Your calories.
    I think 866 calories per day are way too less if You want healthy body. You shouldn't go under 1200 per day, because it's minimum for normal body functioning.

I eat TDEE-20% for weight loss. I don't eat back because this is calculated based on my activities. But I never eat under my BMR. For example. My BMR is ~1350 calories (my minimal intake for body/organ functioning). My TDEE is ~ 2000 what I should eat based on my activities and keeping my weight.

So, if I am going to lose some weight I subtract no more than 20% from my TDEE =2000cal - 20%(400cal) =1600cal I should eat every day and I don't eat back after I exercise. I will eat back if I will burn more on exercises than I ate.

Good luck!
  • darcey9101
    darcey9101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My daily allowance is set at 1200. Im sorry but no I don't know what works for me It changes and I get confused by people saying how much I should eat how much I shouldn't eat and what to eat. I thought I would ask as I really don't know and didn't think as a support forum I would be made to feel like an idiot by asking an honest question which didn't seem silly to me. Thanks to those who gave me helpful info. I am at a loss as to what kind of things I can eat to bulk my calories up.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You're diary is private so we don't know what you're eating. But, ditch the low fat, low cal diet foods. Eat cheese, nuts, avocado, full fat yogurt .... You get the picture:flowerforyou:
  • darcey9101
    darcey9101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you :). My diary is now public as well
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    My daily allowance is set at 1200. Im sorry but no I don't know what works for me It changes and I get confused by people saying how much I should eat how much I shouldn't eat and what to eat. I thought I would ask as I really don't know and didn't think as a support forum I would be made to feel like an idiot by asking an honest question which didn't seem silly to me. Thanks to those who gave me helpful info. I am at a loss as to what kind of things I can eat to bulk my calories up.

Okay then, was your diet not working for you before, 28lbs is a lot to have lost if it wasn't.

I would see where you are coming from if you had just joined, but as you joined back in January 2013 and have lost 28lbs already on what you were doing, surely that tells you something.....???
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If every day is like that, then it is bad. If you are asking if it is okay that some days are like that, then assuming you are a generally healthy individual the answer is yes. I even have the rare negative day. Yesterday I ran 10 miles and the estimated burn is north of 1000 calories, which is about what I ate for the day. Today I won't run and will likely eat more. You get more than a day to even these things out.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    as much as people will try to tell you to eat them back I believe that your body will tell you. If your body is hungry because of the calorie deficit it will want food and it will tell you. These past few days i've been doing a lot of walking and gym at lunchtime and 30 day shred when i come home that I am left with a large calorie deficit, but I don't feel hungry in the evening so I don't see why I should force myself to eat just to make them up

Do what feels comfortable FOR YOU! Everyone is different.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If every day is like that, then it is bad. If you are asking if it is okay that some days are like that, then assuming you are a generally healthy individual the answer is yes. I even have the rare negative day. Yesterday I ran 10 miles and the estimated burn is north of 1000 calories, which is about what I ate for the day. Today I won't run and will likely eat more. You get more than a day to even these things out.

Following up on my own post with a little more...

The biggest issue I have with "eat your calories back" is that calories expended for an activity is almost impossible to calculate correctly. I have an open post (at lease I hope I will get more responses) about the calories in a run because I get different results from different apps. Someone posted an answer that widens the gap between the possible answers to somewhere between roughly 1000 and 1750 calories burned in a 10 mile run. If I was going to "eat the calories back" what the heck would I do with that? Eat an extra day's worth of food today? I don't think so. I prefer the approach of saying I am active and my burn is probably a few hundred calories higher per day than if I were sedentary. I will eat what seems reasonable making choices to keep the count low, see how I feel (plenty of energy, not light headed) and what the scale says.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

So....866 calories - 686 = 200 net calories consumed for the day?

Go get some help. That is EXTREMELY bad. Even if you were netting 866 that would be bad. It is impossible to get proper nourishment and nutrition if you're regularly consuming this many calories. If you can't eat stop exercising so much. MFP has a weight loss deficit built in without any exercise...you don't have to exercise to lose weight Stop hurting yourself.