Squats yes but do you also deadlift?

Options

Replies

• melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I love deadlifts! They make me feel like super woman. I recently got a PR of 135# for my dead (at 120# myself), that's about 1.125 of my body weight. My goal is to get to 1.5X my BW = 180#. Squats are great too. I do em both at least once a week. I also do front squats which are a totally different feeling than back ones. I've maxed my back squat at 130# but have only maxed my front squat at 90# so far.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes I do both. I like it!
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I love both x
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The King of all exercises Deadlifts changed my life I am working toward 405lbs now You want abs forearms legs back arms EVERYTHING!! You do the deadlift..yesterday I did 12 sets!!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    <3 Squats <3 Deadlifts <3 Lunges

I have a thing for working legs

All those that skip leg day, northing more disappointing!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!! Everyone should be doing deadlifts!!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts but not so much squats. I do them both though at the beginning of the workout. That way I have the energy for them and get them over with.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i prefer deadlifts over any other exercise
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I do both, love both. Deadlifts have to be my favourite though, they're awesome!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Love em both, they make me feel awesome! Lunges on the other hand are the devil. :devil:
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm finally getting to a respectable number again. 255 for deads this morning. When I was much younger hit 300 for a PR. I think I'd be happy working my way up to 500 now.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love them both equally. It's deadlift day today, can't wait!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My leg day is first squats, then deadlifts, then lunges. It's killer and really gets the job done. First time I did deadlifts was like a revelation: it felt like doing 8 reps was better than 100 crunches. Really blew me away, I didn't expect that feeling. Deadlifts are the most intense, best exercise I've ever done. You couldn't pay me to stop doing them.

But I have some spinal injuries so I lift under my capability. 4x8@185 is plenty for me to get an effective workout. You don't have to go heavy to get the benefits of a deadlift, just doing it at all is worthwhile. Because I'm careful with my back my goal is modest- do 225 for reps with consistency. I will probably never try for a PR on deads, form is too important more so than other exercises.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So I started deadlifts and squats a week and a half ago, being new to them. I focused mainly on getting my form down before challenging myself weight-wise.

For 6 reps x 4 sets:

Started at: 95 lbs DL, 105 lbs squats while working on my form.

1.5 weeks later: 135 lbs DL, and 125 lb squats now that I have my form down.

I'm 5'4" :) These make me feel tough! haha, I love them!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, I do both! Best lifts in the universe.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Ok. Since this thread is full of people who deadlift, I have a question... I've been watching my form and doing fine, but since I've just started lifting a couple weeks ago, I'm only doing 65lbs (bar+20). Since the plates are so small, it's sitting really low, so my question for you all is, until I am lifting heavier (i.e., using bigger plates), would it be better for me to deadlift from the safety catch bars on the squat rack than from the ground since the bar's not as high as it should be?
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    From the ground always
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ok. Since this thread is full of people who deadlift, I have a question... I've been watching my form and doing fine, but since I've just started lifting a couple weeks ago, I'm only doing 65lbs (bar+20). Since the plates are so small, it's sitting really low, so my question for you all is, until I am lifting heavier (i.e., using bigger plates), would it be better for me to deadlift from the safety catch bars on the squat rack than from the ground since the bar's not as high as it should be?
    Put your bar up on plates laying on the floor to bring it to the correct height :)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Put your bar up on plates laying on the floor to bring it to the correct height :)
    Thanks! I was worried about using plates that someone else may want, but the fitness center I use is so tiny that I use the bench bar for deadlifts so I guess I could use the bench plates too since no one can bench for a couple minutes while I'm doing it anyway. :smile: