How often do you weigh yourself on a SCALE?

Options

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh once a week on Tuesday morning. Of course, I had to be at work early today so I was racing through the house getting ready and forgot so I'll either weigh tomorrow or switch to Friday.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning because it's part of the routine staying on top of things, along with tracking food and exercise. I don't put too much stock in it, although I do get a bit depressed if I feel I've been on target with my behavior for a week or more and the scale doesn't budge. I also try to remember to take measurements once every few weeks, because body reconstitution matters as much to me as actual poundage.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I weigh every other week
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I weighed every Monday morning just after I went to the bathroom to get the most accuracy.

Now I weigh about every month. It's not that I don't care as much, but I've learned to listen to my body and I understand now that it's not always about your weight. Fat loss isn't the same as weight loss. I can tell when I'm doing well or not without a scale and I don't let the scale rule what I do.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Every day, twice a day. It's not something I recommend unless you can handle the fluctuations, it's amazing how different your weight is in the morning versus the evening.
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and I know it can fluctuate from morning to night, but I still do it. I also bought a second scale that does tenths of a lb versus my old one that rounded up or down by half a pound, which I intended to throw away. Turned out they can weigh me as much as 2 lbs difference some mornings, so I kept them both and accept that when they do that (because sometimes they match and sometimes they don't..go figure) it helps me to realize it's not an exact science and I don't take that daily number too seriously. I think that's why they recommend you just weigh yourself once a week.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! Since I started my journey last June, I have kept a spreadsheet of my weigh-in dates and weights. I weigh myself once each week, faithfully. I think it works. And no matter how much I may desire to weigh myself in the meantime, I never allow myself. Right or wrong - who knows...but it's working for me. I've been told weekly is still too often, but it helps keep me on track - if not on track to lose weight, it definitely keeps me at where I am, instead of gaining. Good luck!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I weighed every Monday morning just after I went to the bathroom to get the most accuracy.

Now I weigh about every month. It's not that I don't care as much, but I've learned to listen to my body and I understand now that it's not always about your weight. Fat loss isn't the same as weight loss. I can tell when I'm doing well or not without a scale and I don't let the scale rule what I do.

Well said! I'm learning to "listen to my body" and it's a great quality.
  • mindovercakes
    mindovercakes Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every single day. There were times when I couldn't help myself, and would jump on the scales even multiple times a day. And I was well on my way to going insane :laugh: So, I packed the scales away in a closet and they only come out on Monday mornings for my weekly weigh-in. Works much better for me this way. Sanity partly re-gained :bigsmile:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I weigh myself twice a day. Once in the morning before my shower, once at night before bed. Yes, it varies. I don't let it affect me though. If it's up, oh well, it's just one day... If it's down, cool, let's see if it stays that way.

For MFP and tracking purposes, I only record my weight once a week. Every Friday morning. :wink:
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every waking hour of the day haha! I have a weird obsession with standing on the scale when I wake up, after breakfast, after lunch, after tea, before bed... I don't know why I do it! But I don't pay attention to the numbers at all, I think it's just force of habit. I also like to see if there is a pattern in the fluctuations, whether certain foods make me heavier or retain more water etc.

I only record my actual weight every 2 weeks with my personal trainer. Once my current block of sessions are over I'll probably go back to recording once weekly.

Everyone's different I guess! :)
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can get a bit obessive with the scale - so I try to limit myself to a few times a week. I think it's different for everyone. Some people can weigh themselves once a day and not be bothered if it's up or down. For me personally I get bummed if it fluctuates from day to day...which is why I limit it.

Nothing wrong with having your dad hide your scale. I think it will help you focus on some non-scale victories (NSV) instead of just the number.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Right after I wake up and go to the bathroom and before I eat/drink anything.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself regularly just for the heck of it, as i am maintaining. I always know i fluctuate 3 to 5 pounds day to day so i dont fret the fluctuating weight.
    If it is an issue for you, only weigh once a week... consistently on same day, same time with same amount of clothes on.
  • kjmenser
    kjmenser Posts: 30
    Options
    Every morning I get out of bed, strip down naked and empty my bladder, then step on the scale. It keeps me in check and It is easy to remember what I had to eat the day before if the scale goes up.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I go several weeks between weigh-ins, and I don't weigh in on a day when my rings feel tight on my fingers, because I know I'm retaining water that day.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after going potty. I'm usually just wearing my bra and panties, albeit it might be more accurate if I just were to weigh myself naked, but I'm lazy lol.

My weight usually stays the same until I actually lose a pound (obviously the weight goes down at that point lol.) Although sometimes I will weigh 1 lb less one day, and then yet another pound less the next (it's so weird lol.)

I experience the "woosh" effect quite a bit.
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Once a week
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Only once a week and I log the weight regardless of the number.