Anyone have to consume MORE than 1,200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 a day for a while. Boy was I grumpy.

I'm up to 1650 and losing nicely.....I'm still on a bigger cut, 25% or so, so I will work my way up in time.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I attempted to be at 1200 calories per day when I started using MFP. LOL!! I am way too active for that. Nothing against 1200 calories (it works great for my mom when she needs to lose, or maybe someone short), but my average daily burn from exercise alone is 700 calories, and I'm not overweight to begin with, so why screw up an otherwise healthy metabolism just to lose a little faster. My average intake is about 1700 calories, and now that I'm working out more, I'm closer to 2000.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I'm losing 1lb a week typically on a cut of around 2000-2200 cals a day.
    What do you do to work out???

Weight train like a boss.

Maybe that is my problem I do all areobics...running,elliptical,swimming...
  • OrionG
    OrionG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering...seems like I see nothing but 1,200 my daily goal is 1,600 and thats if I DONT exercise...?

I hold myself to 1600 / day, 7 days a week. My maintenance level is about 2450, or so. I'm averaging about 2lbs/week loss at this level. 1200 calories is quite low, especially if anyone is active. The body tends to get "wierd" at calories below.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm losing on about 1800-1900 per day (around 2100 or more on my long run days). I work out and run about 3-4 days a week; I have a full time desk job so I don't otherwise have a very active lifestyle.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I'm losing 1lb a week typically on a cut of around 2000-2200 cals a day.
    What do you do to work out???

Weight train like a boss.

Maybe that is my problem I do all areobics...running,elliptical,swimming...

Well the more muscle you're packing the more you can eat, muscle is hungry stuff, it needs feeding! Lol. Also I'm generally active. I do cardio as well, though not loads, and I walk quite a lot. But its weight lifting that has changed by body the most by far.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600-2000 a day depending on my exercise, netting about 1600. I was eating under 1200 from August to January then plateaued and am just now slowly getting off of it.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000-2300 calories daily REGARDLESS of activity and I lose a pound a week. The first time I lost significant weight on MFP, I was eating 2500 calories daily and still lost weight, although only 2-3 pounds a month. I've tried going lower than that so I can lose weight faster but it only makes me cranky and low on energy and I feel so deprived I end up binging which defeats the whole purpose. Slow and sane works for me.

FYI, I'm 5'8", female and work out 5 to 6 times weekly doing weights and cardio.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I consume anywhere from 2200-2800 a day.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 cals a day realized through threads on here that I was netting 800-900 cals because I exercise 6-7x a week, like insanity, jogging and zumba among floor exercises... Using a HRM I calculate about 400-800 cals a day I burn through Exercise. Anyways I lost 15 lbs in the first 2 1/2 months then stalled and loss very little... I'm 5'3 and weigh 162.4 now... my first goal is 140 will re evaluate there, but I am a larger built and happier where I am at. I stayed at 166 for about a month... Slowly I started to add more calories to build up to 1600 a day. So scary for me as I have always thought I needed to be starving in order to see the scale move. So I think when people are saying eat more to lose weight its for people that have the wrong train of thinking... DUH you will lose weight if you are eating small amounts, but to have a life style change I think its hard for people to grasp moderation and calorie counting is helping me see this... So yes I am at 1600 right now thats with out exercise, I sometimes go over that as a total but never have gone over it by my NET because I rarely eat back my exercise cals...
  • ancutz
    ancutz Posts: 26
    Options
    I eat 2000-2300 calories daily REGARDLESS of activity and I lose a pound a week. The first time I lost significant weight on MFP, I was eating 2500 calories daily and still lost weight, although only 2-3 pounds a month. I've tried going lower than that so I can lose weight faster but it only makes me cranky and low on energy and I feel so deprived I end up binging which defeats the whole purpose. Slow and sane works for me.

FYI, I'm 5'8", female and work out 5 to 6 times weekly doing weights and cardio.

Love your post! Same here. Going on a very low carb diet makes you lose muscle mass and by depriving yourself, you end up binging and putting even more weight than you lost.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    1800 cals here plus exercise calories. 1800 is my sedentary to lose 1 lb/week. Some weeks I've lost more than MFP predicted. My sweet spot has been 1700-2200 depending on activity. I use the TDEE -20% method. Works for me.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie people post a lot because they have problems with losing weight. Eventually they stall or something happens/ hangry. This isn't to say some people should be eating only 1200 a day. Maybe they do, the ones who should eat more have the issues.
    I'm at 1980+ a day.

Where did you get this idea from?

Many people lose on 1200 calories per day and many do not stall.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It's suggested that I limit my daily intake to 1200 cal/day, but truthfully it's difficult. I have a sedentary lifestyle (at work), and am up doing things most of the rest of the day till I go to bed. I'm on the treadmill or the Arc Trainer 4-5 times a week. I sometimes go over my limit in calories, but not by much. I guess that's why the calories are **very slowly** coming off...:grumble:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I eat 2k+ per day.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    1500-1700 per day and losing on that. And I'm only 5'0" tall and 127lbs. Even at that fairly petite size, I'm starving and faint on 1200 per day.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    1800 calories here and that's with exercise factored in...trying to get down to 150 pounds from the 190's. It's slow going but I'm determined to change my lifestyle permanently
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I have done both 1200+ exercise cals, and TDEE.

Either way, I end up eating between 1500 and 1900 cals a day. I think i'd have to be sitting on my bum not even sneezing to just be on 1200.
  • shierrarobin
    shierrarobin Posts: 181
    Options
    1200 cals a day is the minimum, not the ideal. I am 5'8" and I weigh between 152 and 160. My daily calorie goal is about 1940 because I'm trying to gain muscle. If I wasn't, then it would be about 1680. If I eat much less than 1680 a day then I stop losing because my body starts trying to hold onto the fat since I'm not feeding it enough. You need to eat to lose weight. Period. If you don't eat enough, you won't lose.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ditto, my net goal is 1800. Netting 1200 is just ridic!