we are not meant to be hungry!

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    when i changed my eating habits i was hungry a lot of the time. i didnt eat every time i was hungry and over a couple months that started to dissipate as my body went from eating 4k(maybe more who knows...) calories a day to around 2k.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Hunger is usually my cue that it is time to eat. Except now that I am doing intermittent fasting with my cut, I get pretty hungry some mornings. I deal with it.

Right, i'm hungry right now, got 2 hrs to go, just made my second pot of coffee and i dont think all my muscle is getting eaten away!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    whoops
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure many people even know what hunger feels like. When I was overweight, I remember eating when I thought I was hungry but it's clear to me now that my stomach was simply empty, I wasn't really hungry. "Not full" may even be a better description.

This. Hunger =/= starvation =/= "there was food in my belly and now I feel that the food is no longer in my belly" feeling.
    when i changed my eating habits i was hungry a lot of the time. i didnt eat every time i was hungry and over a couple months that started to dissipate as my body went from eating 4k(maybe more who knows...) calories a day to around 2k.

Also this. Hunger can be a confusing state until you know why your body is giving you the signals it gives you, which is a learning process for some. I think it's a bit careless to say that we were never meant to experience hunger.
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    Not entirely true. Take a look at the 5:2 diet :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It's exactly this kind of thinking that got most of us to where we are now (or at least, were...) We don't need to satisfy every little craving at the first twinge of hunger, there's nothing wrong with delaying gratification in favour of eating a balanced nutritious diet.

Our bodies have evolved to store energy, whether it's glycogen in muscle or stored fat. Unlike your car which will grind to a halt the moment it's out of gas we can actually function for reasonable amounts of time between meals......a gift from our hunter gatherer ancestors who couldn't go the fridge and grab a snack.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you go from habitually over-eating to feel satiated to eating a healthier amount, then you are going to feel some level of hunger when you switch over. There's not really any getting around that.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It can even be quite satisfying to get hungry before a meal and then enjoy eating it!

THIS!

I think a lot of over weight people have forgotten what hunger feels like so they can't eat intuitively according to their body's natural hunger cues.

^^^

I agree.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi!

You raise a great point! Balance is the key!! (I have not read the article which you reference BTW)

Balance is achieved once you are at your goal weight and can maintain it safely and in a healthy way. The problem is not that people are actually hungry, it's that we have developed food dependencies and addictions which cause our bodys to peak and crash. This might trigger hunger pangs, but do not indicate a need to eat.

The only way to lose weight is to manage your caloric intake. When you begin a weight loss journey, you will be hungry. Ensure that you are eating the caloric value that you need to (no less than 1200 normally), exercising moderately on a regular basis and your body will learn to use fat stores to gain energy, ergo, lose fat/lbs/inches.

We were not meant to eat processed foods, but we all do and need to learn the good from the bad and that all in moderation can work.

Have a great day!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

...It seems to me that we ARE meant to be hungry sometimes, and that gives us a drive to eat enough. It can even be quite satisfying to get hungry before a meal and then enjoy eating it!

This ^^ rings so very true for me too.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Have some discipline. Hunger is not a pain, it's a small discomfort.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that feeling is not necessarily for food but for water. Many people do not hydrate enough.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not always hunger. Most people confuse their hunger and thirst signals as the mechanisms get confused after years of being ignored. Many will feel a "hunger pang" and will eat instead of drink water so they are dehydrated and eating instead of drinking.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that feeling is not necessarily for food but for water. Many people do not hydrate enough.

LOL we had the same idea, I just took longer to craft my response and didn't refresh to see yours. :)
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Interestingly that is one of the Biggest Loser's Coaches tips: See link:
    http://www.rd.com/slideshows/skinny-rules-‘biggest-losers-never-break/#slideshow=slide9
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options

It's exactly this kind of thinking that got most of us to where we are now (or at least, were...) We don't need to satisfy every little craving at the first twinge of hunger, there's nothing wrong with delaying gratification in favour of eating a balanced nutritious diet.

Our bodies have evolved to store energy, whether it's glycogen in muscle or stored fat. Unlike your car which will grind to a halt the moment it's out of gas we can actually function for reasonable amounts of time between meals......a gift from our hunter gatherer ancestors who couldn't go the fridge and grab a snack.

Agree 100%
  • nuttingh
    nuttingh Posts: 65
    Options
    This is such a great subject. I struggle, still, with stress AND boredom eating. It was all psychological. I was unhappy in my relationship, lonely, bored, sometimes-depressed and I craved Taco Bell, McD's, etc. I'd eat it with no regard for portions and then I was wondering why my stomach was growling again a few hours later. All the food I had was processed, even the stuff that was supposed to be "healthy." I ate everything wrong and couldn't figure out why my body was still asking for food and why I was also eating when I wasn't "hungry."

In the past couple months, I've been changing my foods over to higher protein and fiber. More (mostly) organic, fruits, and veggies. I am so much better. The cravings have stopped (except for my undying love of mexican food (not TB!) and when I eat, I am actually feeling satisfied. Not hungry, not bloated, not anything except content. This is the way it is supposed to be. When you feed your body good stuff, it thanks you and doesn't keep asking for food. And I remembered that water causes alot of my "hunger" because I wasn't drinking enough.

It did take my body a couple weeks though to get used to this and not keep giving in to fast food stuff.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It can even be quite satisfying to get hungry before a meal and then enjoy eating it!

THIS!

I think a lot of over weight people have forgotten what hunger feels like so they can't eat intuitively according to their body's natural hunger cues.

^^^

I agree.

Add me to this list. I prefer to be hungry at a meal time.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends. It's no good to be starving and binge, and it's not good to overeat because you snack at the first twinge of hunger. Personally I quite like the feeling of hunger when I'm trying to lose - it makes me feel like something is working!
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have some discipline. Hunger is not a pain, it's a small discomfort.

best thing I've read on the forums lately!