How much sushi?

Options
My husband and I are going to Benihana's on Friday for sushi and I was wanting to prepare in advance. The only sushi I have ever tried was a crispy shrimp roll (and that was only 1 piece) so I was planning on getting that. For 8 pieces it is approx. 508 calories. My question is how many pieces is a good amount to have for a meal? I was planning on having the 8 pieces but I didn't know if that was too much or too little. I just don't want too order too much or still be hungry afterwards. I am planning the rest of Friday around this meal so I want to be sure I know what I should do ahead of time. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at least 2 rolls. I wouldn't consider 1 roll a meal, but sushi for me is a preplanned 1,000 calorie event...I love sushi and don't get it very often. I personally don't much care for soups, but I have seen lots of people on here recommend filling up on a water based soup first before sushi.

Edit: Also, don't be afraid to branch out. The crispy shrimp is probably one of the higher calorie option. I personally love a rainbow roll or a california roll...if you don't like raw fish you can also ask the server if they offer imitation crab or cooked fish options. Also, the vegetarian rolls are also pretty yummy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    ALL THE SUSHI!!

I usually have 2 rolls if I'm alone. Some are lower calories than other. I really like spicy tuna rolls which are pretty low.
  • futuremrsevers
    Options
    Look into a california roll.... not too bad (crab and avocado) It's my favorite even when I'm not on a diet, but it's pretty reasonable.
    But I agree... usually 2 rolls is a good amount.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yeah, two rolls is good for me too! If you avoid "crunchy" or tempura rolls, they will be lower in calories too. You could check out some salads or miso too. Man, I never feel guilty about sushi!
  • jbronowski
    jbronowski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Avoid rolls with Cream cheese and any type of "spicy" could means they mix sriracha sauce with full-fat mayo. Always great to started with edamame for a low cal, high protein snack. Some sushi restaurants offer rolls that are wrapped in cucumber slices versus rice. Choose wisely, enjoy a nice night out, and if you feel guilty just add an extra workout in the following morning!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Avoid rolls with Cream cheese and any type of "spicy" could means they mix sriracha sauce with full-fat mayo. Always great to started with edamame for a low cal, high protein snack. Some sushi restaurants offer rolls that are wrapped in cucumber slices versus rice. Choose wisely, enjoy a nice night out, and if you feel guilty just add an extra workout in the following morning!

No, no, no...PLAN for the cream cheese! :drinker: That stuff is the most amazing freaking stuff to ever touch my tongue. Mix that creamy texture with the taste of the fish and veggies...oh yeah baby. Log it and work it in!
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    When I go for sushi, I start with a salad (100 calories with the ginger dressing), and then get 2 rolls. I LOVE sushi. Since starting to watch what I eat, I do not get tempura, but that is a personal preference. Generally I get a Spicy Tuna Roll (290 calories) and an Eel (Unagi) and avocado Roll (372 calories). Sushi is a treat since starting MyFitnessPal- this is a BIG meal for me (at least as far as calories).
    Here's some sushi nutrition: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you like sashimi you can basically go to town.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yesterday for lunch, I ate one roll. Depends on your calorie goals and when you plan to eat them. I you save up, you can eat two rolls, or more if you've exercised.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    I second the sashimi comment! I usually start with miso soup to help fill me up, then have six pieces of salmon nigiri and a side order of stir-fried veggies. That ends up being a little over 500 calories.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The more as possible!!!

I go to the best sushi buffet in town and eat about 5 lbs of salmon and tuna! I don't log and enjoy it!!!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    look for the low sodium soy...forget the calories...the sodium intake alone can ruin your weigh in! and careful of the ginger dressing on the salad....it can hit ya quick!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    :-) :-( Now I want sushi!!! :-)
  • qingc
    qingc Posts: 9
    Options
    If you eat authentic japanese sushi/sashimi then you have a bit more freedom to go all out but if your planning on eating westernised sushi then its pretty much the same as eating fast/junk food. Especially the ones with cream cheese. Perhaps ask for brown rice. etc.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you like sashimi you can basically go to town.

Yeah, this. Get a chirashi bowl and eyeball the amount of rice, then log the fish at about 1 oz per fish type (depending on the place you end up at, they might give you smaller or bigger slices).
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I eat one roll, for dinner its at least two. I agree with someone else, I plan for sushi nights and get whatever I want. Rolls with tempura, or spicy sauce, or anything else, are going to be more calories. Usually on the menu the high calorie rolls are listed under "special" rolls. If you go for basic ones off the menu, they're not too bad calorie wise.
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much sushi.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Cooked chilli tuna

4 rolls 140 cals.

sorry can't beat that & that is the ONLY one I'll eat. It then means I COULD eat 8 full rolls & still be nowhere near 500 cals.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    That's a really subjective question. I eat between 24-32 pieces of sushi if it's a meal.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If you eat authentic japanese sushi/sashimi then you have a bit more freedom to go all out but if your planning on eating westernised sushi then its pretty much the same as eating fast/junk food. Especially the ones with cream cheese. Perhaps ask for brown rice. etc.

Wait what? Where I eat from is Japanese people making it..... but cause it's in the west does that mean it's junk?

As for brown rice... more calories for very little in return. It's not as much of a better option as people think.