• debbihibbs
    debbihibbs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow.Way to go on your weight loss!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My favorite answer to this question:

Try to think of just one person that got fat eating bananas.

Go ahead. Try!
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    Let me just say, I eat fruits and veggies constantly, and my glucose/cholesterol/blood pressure are all pristine! Just my personal experience.
  • ecc312
    ecc312 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is not bad, it's the processed granular stuff you need to worry about. The sugar in fruit occurs naturally, and is accompanied by lots of other nutrients and fiber that add to the nutritional value. Granular sugar is bad because all it is is carbs (sucrose), and doesn't have anything else to offer. It has no fiber, vitamins, or water in it, and all it does is spike your blood sugar and taste good.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Go ahead. Try!

king-kong-fay-wray-1933.jpg
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    hahahahhahahaha oh god

I'm dying...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The MFP sugar recommendations are, for some reason, set to the recommended guidelines for *added* sugar.

Unless you have a medical reason to keep it low, don't worry.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • KatieHPhoto
    KatieHPhoto Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Go ahead. Try!

THIS!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The simple, correct and only answer to this question is NO.

Even the American Heart Association's sugar limit only addresses "added" sugars such as table sugar, HFCS and honey.

Then there are the facts that sugar is simply a carb and it's a calorie surplus that makes people obese thereby leading to diabetes (and not the mere consumption of sugar), so the entire effort against sugar seems a bit quixotic.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, it doesn't matter if it's from a natural source or not. It's all the same to your body.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a phyto-nutrient bonanza--just like vegetables are. Eating it in moderation is part of a healthy diet. But you might want to mostly stick with lower fructose selections (think berries and citrus) while you are trying to shed body fat.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I seriously don't think you will find anyone that has gotten fat from eating fruit!!:noway:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It's summer and I will be eatings LOTS and LOTS of fruit.

I've noticed that I trim down considerably when I avoid refined sugar. All the while, I can eat as much fruit as I want and my tummy is flat and happy :happy:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, it doesn't matter if it's from a natural source or not. It's all the same to your body.

Yes--but the quantity and the "housing" of it makes all the difference to your health. "Pure" sugars of any kind, in isolation from the foods from which they were derived, are NOT good for the body. They can be thought of as "anti-nutrients" because they consume more nutrients from your body (B vitamins, etc.) than they yield. They only contribute carbohydrates but are stripped of all companion phyto-nutrients. In addition, because of the way that junk "food" are designed, we are invited to eat a giant slug of denatured sugars that simply would not exist outside of manufacturing them. A 12-oz. can of "orange" soda contains the amount of fructose that would be in at least 10 oranges AND there is no fiber to slow down the transmission of those sugars into the body as there would be in the oranges. I don't know anyone who sits down to eat 10 oranges in a short period of time, but it is easy to glug down a can of orange soda. Therein lies the problem.
  • closcar
    closcar Posts: 3
    Options
    so very true, is sure wasn't eatting the fruit that got me as big as I am. I'm switching to following the Mediterainin diet to help lower my cholesteral numbers
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I seriously don't think you will find anyone that has gotten fat from eating fruit!!:noway:

I think you are right. When I examine the food diaries of the seriously obese, I am struck by the lack of fruits and vegetables in them--but particularly fruit. (But they definitely like sweet foods. They will often eat a half-gallon of ice cream for breakfast.) When sweets are consumed, fruits are typically left out of the diet. Ever notice how the fruit rots away in the frig during the holidays when there are a lot of sweets around?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Yes--but the quantity and the "housing" of it makes all the difference to your health. "Pure" sugars of any kind, in isolation from the foods from which they were derived, are NOT good for the body. They can be thought of as "anti-nutrients" because they consume more nutrients from your body (B vitamins, etc.) than they yield. They only contribute carbohydrates but are stripped of all companion phyto-nutrients. In addition, because of the way that junk "food" are designed, we are invited to eat a giant slug of denatured sugars that simply would not exist outside of manufacturing them. A 12-oz. can of "orange" soda contains the amount of fructose that would be in at least 10 oranges AND there is no fiber to slow down the transmission of those sugars into the body as there would be in the oranges. I don't know anyone who sits down to eat 10 oranges in a short period of time, but it is easy to glug down a can of orange soda. Therein lies the problem.

Why eat fruit with sugar when I can get fiber and phytonutrients from vegetables? The 'housing' of the frutose doesn't make much of a difference - it just makes it slightly less damaging. I do sometimes eat fruit because it tastes good, not because it's good for me.