Recognizing Stress "Hunger"

Options
I'm finally starting to notice when my body is tricking me into hunger, and am learning to recognize the things that trigger me into stress eating.

However, as of right now, I am working on finals. I am very stressed and am (not so) subconsciously looking for anything to distract me from my work.

I can tell that I'm not ACTUALLY hungry, but because I don't feel /full/, all my mind and body can focus on are the fact that I'm not full. And it /is/ distracting me from getting work done. Mission accomplished, self.

I'm so aware of it that I feel ravenous, I feel like I'm starving just because of how stressed I am, even though I'm Not actually hungry yet.

My question is: aside from having the power to say no to these cravings, can/will my body adjust as I continue to say "no" and stop giving me this horrendously painful idea that I'm starving?

Replies

• ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Nobody?
  • MaryLynnHawk
    MaryLynnHawk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you! I switched to a kind of stressful job a couple years ago, and found myself eating constantly as a result. I just started keeping celery on hand, and ate it plain. It doesn't taste all that great, but it does let you eat while consuming almost no calories.

Also, when I had finals and was tempted to eat, I gave myself breaks every so often, just for a *small* snack, and didn't let myself eat while studying. Hope this helps!!! :smile:
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so, because I have days where I'm in the same boat.

I think that our minds will change as our bodies change, wouldn't you think? That once we start seeing the rewards of our hard work, our minds will follow along accordingly?

I have to believe that after a while this will all just become second nature.