Barbecue for vegetarians/vegans

Options
Miiimii
Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
Hi vegetarians and vegans out there,

summer is coming and I love to habe barbecue in the parc with friends. I like to prepare yummy salads and to grill some tofu sausages, seitan steaks or soy burger. But also feta cheese and Haloumi tast quiet good.

Do you have any special vegetarian yummy things or special recipes to put on the grill?

Let me know!

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but you can't go wrong with this recipe!

http://www.theppk.com/2009/04/perfect-grilled-portobellos/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I love

asparagus (dress with a little olive oil first)
    corn on the cob (good plain, but for a mexican street food snack, after BBQ-ing dress with a little mayonnaise and grated cheese)
    potatoes (microwave a couple of minutes first and finish on the BBQ)
    smallish tomatoes (prick skin with a fork and toss in olive oil first)
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh I have got to follow this thread. I am vegan and live in KC, and the BBQs are already filling out the calendar. Also, big thanks to the non-veggies for posting food ideas anyway.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    We grill everything. Look up recipes for grilled stuffed zucchini or mushrooms, there are a lot of fun things you can do with those! Kabobs are always fun, too. Assorted vegetables (and pineapple...it's awesome on a veggie kabob) marinated in some Italian dressing.
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe not too long ago (thank you Pinterest) http://www.marthastewart.com/336994/grilled-sweet-potatoes-with-scallions and LOVE it! We've made it a few times and I could make a meal of it. I look forward to having friends over to share this delicious goodness!

Love shish kabobs, that's what we're having tonight actually. Grilled pizza is really good, but we burned ourselves out on it last summer :ohwell: Grilled asparagus drizzled with evoo, salt and pepper is a staple at our house during the summer too.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Soy is estrogenic, you shouldn't eat that.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add:

You can do the asparagus on the hot coals just after the fire is started, if you work quickly and turn frequently.
    The cherry tomatoes or smallish tomatoes are best done on the dying embers.

I also regularly do thick slices of courgette (zucchini) and portobello mushrooms. Both should be tossed in olive oil first.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Soy is estrogenic, you shouldn't eat that.

It's still very much up for debate. If you're doing it instead of meat, you're still getting half as much phyto-estrogen than you are estrogen from many animal products. Hey, I'm admitting here that it could potentially be harmful, but it isn't really proven. There is also debate as to whether plant estrogen can harm our human bodies anyway. I don't eat much of the stuff either for the reason you stated, but it may be premature to scare people off.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower chicken.
  • DrowsyDeer
    Options
    Watermelon! It is so amazing grilled.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Hi Miimii,

I love to have large flat cup mushrooms, corn cobs, pre-boiled new potatoes, courgette slices (zucchini), Aubergine slices (eggplant), half bell peppers. We use a tiny bit of oil but I guess you could use cooking spray.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    grilled veggies & black bean burgers!!! HALLALUAH! lol
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am off to bed now but will reply properly tomorrow.

We have a lot of quorn products in the UK so I have what the meat eaters eat and lots of salad.

I do veggie kebabs too
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Finish off the bbq with a banana on the grill (preferably stuffed with a bit of chocolate!).
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We ate at a veg. restaurant in Denver and they made seitan hot wings to die for so maybe you could grill some strips and then toss in hot sauce?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Portabella mushrooms, zucchini, corn, potatoes... almost any grilled veggies, really
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I like President's choice vegan chicken breasts. I've never grilled them but I bet they would be amazing.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    We ate at a veg. restaurant in Denver and they made seitan hot wings to die for so maybe you could grill some strips and then toss in hot sauce?

I've always thought about doing that. Sounds like I need to get down to business and try that.
  • hmvfit
    hmvfit Posts: 4
    Options
    We love potatoes on the grill topped with homemade sauces. you can boil them first (or just wash, puncture a few times, wrapped in a paper towel and microwave 5 m for a large potatoe), peel it, cut in two, lenghtwise, brush oil and salt all around and put the flat (cut) side on the grill first. Let the grill do its job for a while, it will make nice dark lines, turn it around and grill some more. enjoy with some type of sauce.

seriously, people go crazy about these two:

1. Mint pesto: blend seaded serrano peppers, oil, onion, garlic, salt peper and a bunch of mint leaves.

1. Blend red japapeno, some roasted peanuts, oil, onion, garlic, salt pepper and mint leaves.

You got red and green sauces to accompany your BBQ
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    corn on the cob, basted with soy sauce