Petite women- How much do you eat??

Options
I have been toying with my daily calorie goal for a few months now and can't seem to break this stall.

I am 29 y/o, a little under 5'2", and currently 137 lbs (down from 154 in Jan.). I haven't lost any weight since the beginning of April. I have lost a couple of inches since then but nothing too drastic.

I work a pretty sedentary desk job 8+ hours per day. I go to the gym 5 days per week doing heavy weight training and 15-20 minutes of elliptical cardio. I do 2 hours per week of power barre ballet in addition.

My TDEE calculates between 1400 and 1600 depending on my activity level (lightly-moderately active). I am currently eating 1550 but I have tried 1300+ exercise calories and everywhere in between 1400 and 1600 cals per day. I weigh and measure everything I eat and stay pretty in line with my macros. I see people who say they eat 1800-2000 calories per day and steadily lose weight but I don't know how tall they are or what their activity is to compare myself. I figure being short puts my goal a little lower but am I too low? What should my activity level be set to based on the above?

I'm ready to see the scale move and I just don't know what else to do. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• adradecki
    adradecki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear the responses! cause as you know, I'm in the same boat girl!
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I net about 1600 a day.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    5'2 here and I eat 1900-2300 calories. That's my calorie range of tdee-20% up to lose fat/gain muscle. I weigh 164 right now and did weigh 174 at the start of April when I joined.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and eat about 1500-1600 calories daily. I work a physical job, and my TDEE is around 2300.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Honestly there may not be much that you can do but give it some time. What your doing seems fine and although the scale hasnt moved, you've lost inches.

As we get closer to our weight the weight loss really slows down and goes WAY slower then it did at the start. So my advice, take it easy and dont stress about the weigh, just do what your doing and trust the it will budge soon. :)
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and currently 135lbs.
    I've been losing aprox 1 pound a week.
    I am consuming between 1200-1350 calories a day but I am sedentary. I lose aprox 400 cals a day through exercise and I don't eat my calories back.
    I really don't know how much calories someone who is moderately active should consume. I don't think you should eat more than 1600 though if anything I would try reducing to 1450 for few weeks and see if that works out for you.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    start at 1500
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE seems low for moderately active (you are definitely AT LEAST moderately active, but I would guess the next higher level is more accurate). I have the same stats as you and my TDEE at moderately active is over 2000 per day.

What calculator did you use? If you are undereating by mistake, that explains the stall. The calculator that is most accurate for me is the scooby one.

You noted you have lost some inches - I have been stuck on the scale for 6 months (up and down the same 2-3 pounds) but have lost a lot of inches with weight training. I eat close to my TDEE (as suggested by NROLFW) but still a 300 calorie deficit per day. I am in the middle of a 6 week test of higher calories and I lost a pound last I checked (but can't really count on that with how much I fluctuate). My point is, I am trying to be happy with no movement on the scale and inches lost - because I should be happy I am reducing my body fat percentage - but I still get hung up on the darn number on the scale (so I can relate)!
  • sdjd1125
    sdjd1125 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 5'2 and had a baby 4 months ago. I have been trying on and off to lose the rest of the baby weight and now I believe I am on a good track. I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day, I work at a job where I am on my feet all day and walk/run 45 min 4 to 5 times a week and do Insanity 2 to 3 times a week. I have lost 7 lbs in the last 2 months bringing me down from 134 to 127 three of those lbs being lost in the last 2 weeks where I have stuck to the eating/workout plan :D

According to the Harris Benedict equation, if I stayed in bed all day, I would burn 1389 calories; at a desk job, 1666 calories; and if I were lightly active 1-3 days a week 1909 calories. Then you must subtract 500 calories from which ever you fit into. so for me it would be about 1400 calories to lose a lb a week. Every body is different and I always find if I eat anything over 1300 calories, I stall with my weightloss. Good luck to you, its not easy :)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Im at 5'0.5

I did a metabolism reset, eating at tdee (2000) cals for 8 weeks back in feb/march

Then did a small cut (as I was told to do).. eating 1800

But in combination with lifting.. I recently felt like I wasn't leaning out as much as I'd like, and I think 1800 is a bit high for someone only 5'0.5

So since last week I'm doing bigger CUT eating 1300.. I know this is low, but its just for a month or two.
    I will eventually up this to 1500 cals I reckon, with a day off from counting once a week. Thats my plan!! I think that will better suit my height and help me LEAN out and SLIM down more. It really depends on your goal. I also think I'll cycl back to a week of eating tdee every 4 or 5 weeks, so your body doesn't "forget" that that amount of food is available to it.

p.s I lift, and do a little cario :)
  • lakeau
    lakeau Posts: 13
    Options
    Im eatin 1200 a day and burn approx 300 to 400 in exercise but I dont eat them back. I loose a pound to two pounds a week. I weight 164. It is very hard to do. I just moved from a sedentary job to an active one and im much better at loosing now
  • dolphingrl2481
    dolphingrl2481 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    5'2 here and I eat 1900-2300 calories. That's my calorie range of tdee-20% up to lose fat/gain muscle. I weigh 164 right now and did weigh 174 at the start of April when I joined.

How much do u usually lose per week on that many calories? I try to stay under 1399 and don't eat my exercise calories back. The weight loss has slowed down and I usually work out 5 days a week for a hour.
  • ddhdml
    ddhdml Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back the excercise calories. But how much more do you want to lose? 137 sounds great. Maybe this is you body saying hey wait a minute I'm good!
  • constanceanneroth6
    constanceanneroth6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5 ft 2 as well. To be honest with all of you, I really do not know what I am doing or what a tdee is. I just woke up one day a few weeks ago, and decided I had had enough. I was 180, so basically I could roll faster than I could walk. I sit at a desk all day, and do not get any exercise after work either, as then i go to another job where I sit. So I decided I would only eat 1200 calories per day. Surprisingly, as time goes on I am having trouble eating even that amount, and so most days eat less. I keep hearing you should not do this, but I feel fine, I get sleep, and I get done what I need to get done. Is it really bad like they say to eat less?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    5'2", 55 yrs old, 115 lbs, BF 19%, I have a fairly sedentary job, active life outside of that, eat between 1200 & 1400 and never eat back exercise.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What do you consider "petite?" I am 5'4" tall and eat a minimum of 1800 calories a day while losing fat, over 2000 when maintaining...about 2200 or so while bulking.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I aim for 1200-1350.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    5'1. Was at 1700 but just upped to 1900 for June. Depending on things, I'm planning on trying 2100 cals for July or August.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE seems low. But, sometimes it just takes time. I stall a lot on the scale especially since I'm near my goal weight but have lost inches. I'm finally moving again a little on the scale.

I'm not as "petite" at 5'5' 154lbs but I crossfit 6 days a week and eat back my exercise (I generally wear a hrm to know what I'm burning). Generally that means I'm eating about 2100 for a moderate deficiency from TDEE. On non-workout days I'm around 1650-1750.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I realize I said my TDEE was 1400-1600 but I meant that is my goal based on 20% reduction from TDEE. So if I change to moderately active on Scoobys, it gives me a goal of 1615. Maybe I'll try that for a while and see what happens.
    But how much more do you want to lose? 137 sounds great. Maybe this is you body saying hey wait a minute I'm good!

My goal is around 120lbs or 22% body fat, whichever comes first. Right now I am at 26% body fat and I still have some pudgy areas. I was 120 a few years ago and it was a good weight for me.