Trying to maintain optimism

I've struggled with my weight my entire life. Recently, my husband decided he wanted to do something about his weight and wanted to work with me. We hired a trainer at a local gym for eight weeks. In addition to meeting with the trainer for two hours a week, I do 45 minutes to an hour of cardio five days a week, and we are following a low calorie diet according to MyFitnessPal.

In the six weeks we've been working on our weightloss, my husband has lost 22 pounds. I've lost 8. The weight just will not budge. My clothes aren't any looser. My stamina has marginally increased, but I still can't run for more than 30 seconds at a time. I've never worked so hard in my life for so little reward. The past couple of days we've eaten a little poorly, and I've seen an increase of three pounds! I just don't understand. My blood pressure continues to stay high. Our personal trainer suggested that I start doing cardio in the mornings before eating. After three weeks of morning cardio, my weight remains stubborn.

My most recent plan, is to follow Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live diet plan. I'm totally lost for ideas.

Replies

• salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Most people have the genetic cards stacked against them - and some more than others. You may be in the latter category. But that doesn't mean you can't change your size. You can.

Unless there's an underlying medical condition, the bottom line is simple: to lose weight, you have to consume fewer calories than your body burns. Period. Everything else you've read or heard about weight loss is window dressing.

So - generally speaking - if you're exercising and still not losing, you're in all likelihood eating too many calories. Did you calculate your BMR? (Basal metabolic rate?) Have you set your MFP profile to 'sedentary?' That can help prevent you from eating too many calories. Are you weighing and measuring _everything_ you eat or drink? These are the things you need to do to lose.

Most of everything we've heard or learned about weight loss over the years is complete bunk. It's simply a numbers game: calories in/calories out.

Check this major-league myth-busting study to learn more. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/health/20brody.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • I usually eat less calories than what I am allowed according to the MyFitnessPal app. Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I actually went over my calorie budget.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I usually eat less calories than what I am allowed according to the MyFitnessPal app. Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I actually went over my calorie budget.

Are you set up to lose 2, 1, or .5 lbs a week? It looks like you only have around 11 to go if your tracker is accurate so it may just be very slow going.
  • I set a low goal for myself initially so for faster rewards. I actually have at least another 50 to lose.

I have my program set to 2 pounds a week.