Antidepressants - Experiences.. good or bad?

Options

Replies

• torymichaels
    Options
    Like a couple of the other responders, I've been prescribed citolapram. Unlike the others, I'm STILL on it. I've been on for more than a year. It has had some great effects on me mentally. I wasn't given it specifically as an antidepressant, but more as a mood evener.

I mood swung BADLY, 0 to ***** in .02 seconds sort of thing. After starting this, within 5 days, the moods evened out some. I'm not saying I don't mood swing any more (my husband would call me a liar if I tried), but at least now I have more control over them.

They did help my depression...a little. I'm still depressed, but I refuse to take more than what I am for it. The citolopram has helped me, esp. in the aftermath of a miscarriage last year.

In no way do they dull my emotions, nor is it meant to. As the doctor who gave it to me explained, it helps the neuropathways in your brain do what they're supposed to, helping with the connections or something. And I think it does. I was very skeptical much of anything would help (my mom was on antidepressants for decades), or if anything it would just dull me out. It didn't. I'm grateful for what I'm taking.

That said, the nurse when I went for a checkup a few months ago and I discussed my depression issues, said that citolopram alone really is only about 30% effective, and really suggested counseling in ADDITION to the medication, said that the combination tended toward a 60-80% effectiveness rate.
  • cablab
    cablab Posts: 1
    Options
    Personally, I have had a very good experience. I have only been taking them for about a month and a half, but I have seen a pretty drastic improvement in my overall mood and energy. I have noticed no real negative effects (including sex life, as several people have mentioned that). I wouldn't even say I feel numb. I feel pretty good.

I have had problems with low mood and anxiety for many years, seemingly with little correspondence to external stimuli. One of the biggest problems was how it would affect my sleep. I tried increased regular exercise and different methods of altering my reactions and the way I process things, but nothing seemed to have any lasting effect. If I was heading for a low mood, there was nothing I could do but ride it out.

I know that I only have a little experience, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I take Citalopram. I was on 10mg daily for two weeks, then went onto 20mg daily (apparently they tend to ease you in especially if you have problems with anxiety). The first few weeks were pretty weird. My mood was a bit unbalanced and I had some pretty intense anxiety bursts. It did all settle down though.

As others have said though - each to their own. They may not be right for you. I made this choice after plenty of research and many discussions with my doctor.
  • xfilme
    xfilme Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to suffer from depression. I was on medication etc. I cannot tell you that you should or shouldnt go on them, but I can shed a little light on whether or not it would help your situation or not.

Firstly, most doctors will prescribe an SSRI, which is effective for those people who suffer from issues with their seratonin levels. In other words a chemical imbalance in their brain. However, for those people who suffer from circumstantial depression (ie. work related worries, or relationship, bereavement etc) it may as well be taken for a placebo effect as there is likely no seratonin imbalance for it to correct. Anti-depressant will not make you filter your thoughts, You wil still think about the same things and they will cause just as much low mood. At most the way you deal with these emotions might be dampened, but at the point you come off them, they will likely just return.

From your post I gather medication isnt the route you wish to take, so why not go for talking therapy which would not only help you deal with the thoughts causing the problems, but also save you having to go on meds against your will. There are no side effects to talking to someone. It can only improve your situation.

I would recommend basic counselling if your depression is short term, but if its a long term problem, I would highly reccommend CBT. Both are available on the NHS (if you are in the UK). If you are in the US, you can get CBT on your insurance if you just do an online search for those covered by your insurance company in your area. Please do come and chat if you need any help, as I cured my depression myself without the use of medication. To date I take no meds for any of my health or anxiety conditions.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I did take them. I was in such a deep, dark place that I think I might have done stupid things if I hadn't been on them. They leveled out the ups and downs (both!) and made me generally more relaxed for once.

It didn't solve any of my problems, but it gave me the time to figure things out. After a little over 6 months I started lowering the anti-depressants. Got off them just fine and didn't really experience any side effects. The only side effect was that I was tired all the time, but I was already tired all the time before I started them. Just a lot of emotional bagage I think.

In any case, good luck and I hope you'll feel better soon.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I know people who have been on anti-depressants for 30 years, at a certain point you have to treat the cause of the problem, rather than the symptoms

Really? My mum was schizophrenic since she was 17 all the way till her death at 53 ...what would you have told her to treat? He depression was part of that. Comes a time when people who know nothing OF being depressed should just shhhh.:mad:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I took all that junk and it maybe helped a little. What helped that most was running long distances. I feel better than I ever have.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I do remember when I went on my last prescribed depressant medication it felt like I was asleep all the time & I would fall asleep (no really I would) at any time I was not moving.

I went cold turkey off them...it's almost killed me but no way I was going to suffer with taking them. It felt like I was being electrocuted constantly when I went off them..... but then even that was better than falling asleep at the drop of a hat.

Been on St Johns Wort for about 6 years now & never looked back. Depression runs in the women in my mothers side of the family.... it's almost a know thing that you will have it if you are a woman on that side.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Those meds are a bandaids. Have your cortisol and thyroid tested. If either of those two are not where they should be, all your stated symptoms will be present.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No need to use them , happiness comes from within . adjust the mind and train it to think positive . I was diagnosed with depression 2 years ago and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone , felt like death , all I can say is that THE MIND IS VERY POWERFUL and we can control our thoughts and lead them in the right direction.
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The key - we are all different!

My recommendation is that if your doctor feels that you NEED antidepressants, take them remembering that they can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to kick in. And most importantly start seeing a counselor so that you can find answers for all those unanswered questions stored in your head. You will know yourself when you no longer need the additional help so you will be able to wean yourself off the pills.

I have been depressed on and off since my teenage years. I tried St John's Wort but although it seemed to take a bit of the edge off, it just wasn't enough. I was seeing someone at the local Family Mental Health department when I told her that I had considered driving my car into a car on the other side of the road, however I saw the face of the driver and realised how stupid I was. I was admitted to a Mental Hospital where I was assessed and put on antidepressants. When I was discharged I saw a Social Worker who was absolutely fantastic and helped me make sense of everything I had been so stressed about.

I don't remember being zonked out by my medications: I just know that the tears eased up; the fogginess in the front of my head had subsided so I was able to think more clearly. Things stabilised. However I know that if I'm late taking any of my meds, that I do have a reaction every single time, dammit!! And this tells me that the meds are doing what they are meant to do and I just need to keep on keeping on.

Stress is good because it causes change. However too much stress causes you to become distressed! Don't be frightened by it, try and relax and accept it because then you will become stronger and more able to fight.

You will know in your gut what you need to do. GOOD LUCK with your decision.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I took Prozac for a week 19 years ago. I had to ask for it because no one wanted to help me sort my feelings out (was PPD, but nobody could/would tell me and I had no clue where to look for help other than medical professionals). I stopped for 2 reasons:

1. My sleep became nonexistent. I slept less until one night I spent it sitting in the bedroom listening to my daughter breathe.

2. My family knew I was depressed and would insist I "take my pill" if I ever expressed any kind of emotion, be it happy or sad.

I deal with it now by having a breakdown every 3-4 months - bawling all the time, suicide attempts/cutting, lashing out at my husband, breaking things. I do my best to keep it in the bedroom or bathroom and away from others.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've suffer with PTSD, panic attacks, anxiety, depression and am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. Also, my mother abandoned me when I was just a few months old.

For those who think the drugs just cover up or mask the real problems, let me assure you now that I see both a psychologist for therapy and a psychiatrist for the medical therapy. I am on Lexapro (and the amount is higher than the FDA recommended amount), Xanax and Ambien CR.

I live a much happier life when I am on medications. Believe me throughout the last 30 years I've been on medications and off medications. I've finally accepted that to have some degree of happiness and a real life, I will be on psychiatric medications for the rest of my life. I don't feel groggy or numb or anything like that. I can actually feel happiness.

Some people only have cyclical depressions (bouts of depression based on current circumstances). That is not my problem. The wiring in my brain is not right and the panic attacks I was having was disabling and came on from flashbacks in the middle of stores, restaurants, etc.

With that all being said, each person is different. I go by the professional's opinions and not by what other people think I should or should not do.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Those meds are a bandaids. Have your cortisol and thyroid tested. If either of those two are not where they should be, all your stated symptoms will be present.

Most doctors would not prescibe such drugs without the blood tests first to check these and other potential issues are not causing the symptoms.

Please see a doctor and discuss your feelings - and your feelings about drugs.

Also, remember drugs have changed since your parents took them and are (or should be!) less "blunt instrument" and more readily tailored to the individual, esecially in terms of dose (from very low to "knock out elephant").
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've taken them a couple of times in my life. When I really needed it, it worked great. It was like walking around not being able to see clearly, then suddenly getting a new prescription for glasses.

It depends on the cause of the depression. Sometimes, there's crap going on in our lives that we SHOULD feel depressed about, and that doesn't mean it's clinical, chemical depression. And sometimes there's stuff we should feel depressed about AND it is clinical depression. I really needed an antidepressant after my Mom died. It didn't make me feel good by any means - it's not a happy pill - but it made me able to pull my life back together.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin D and vitamin B12 and they both help with my symptoms.....way more than any of the massive amounts of antidepressants I was on ever did.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Step 1-go to your doctor. My doctor is not in the habit of writing me a prescription for something I asked for, unless it's medically warranted. So while your mother wants the best for you, I would advise talking to your doctor about what's going on, vs assuming that he or she will write you a prescription.

I'm no medical expert, but I would think that antidepressants would be effective in cases of clinical depression (where the brain has abnormal wiring) vs a "funk" without the brain wirin issues. But I don't know-I'm no doctor. Thankfully, you have one who can guide you.

I take Zoloft-also an SSRI. It helps me tremendously. There are side effects. Only you and your doctor can decide if the benefits of any drug outweigh the risks/side effects for your situation. Therapy/counseling might be something you want to look into as it could be highly beneficial without the concerns about pysch meds.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    From someone who's been clinically depressed since age 10, I can honestly say anti-depressants are the best thing that ever happen to me.
  • vdobbs28
    vdobbs28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I take Celexa/20 mg once a day and Wellbutrin/75mg 2 times a day and they have worked WONDERS for me!! I really didn't want to be on an antidepressant, I didn't want to admit that I needed help. But, let me tell you...I am in a LOT better of a place today than what I was 7 months ago!! They have helped me a LOT! Wellbutrin counteracts Celexa's side effects. Of course, there's more on the market than just these 2 medicines.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Without my antidepressants, I would have surely committed suicide years ago.

They can take away the gray clouds and allow you to see the sunlight that is all around you. It's like removing a layer of dirt from a car's windshield... it just helps remove a chemical 'funk' that is causing unnecessary pain.

My first antidepressant didn't work. My second one only worked for a time. I had a terrible allergic reaction to the third, and then my 4th one.... oh my 4th one :love: . It was the one. It worked and it worked and it worked. It was perfectly. I wasn't a doped up dummy. I had highs and lows, felt pain and sadness -- but depression wasn't overtaking me anymore. I was back to "level", as I called it. No more feeling "low".

Most people don't have allergic reactions like I did. I don't know anyone else who has reacted as badly as I did. My body is incredibly sensitive to certain categories of medication and not as receptive to others.

After feeling "level" for about a year and a half, I told my therapist I was ready to come off my antidepressant. She hesitantly agreed, and stepped me down until I was off the meds. She has been thrilled with my progress. I've been off it since last October.

There is no shame in taking a medication to help level out improperly balanced chemicals in your body. The improper balance may be situational (mine always is), may last for only a short time, or may be something new that will remain with you.

There is no shame in taking a medication that can help you shake off a gray cloud that diminishes your quality of life. If a small pill can help you see past the cloud to the bright sunshine, why deny yourself that happiness?

There is so much stigma attached to mental illness, and it's a damn shame. So many people don't lead the lives they could because they don't understand or don't feel they should take medications that help.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Medication without therapy won't cure everything. The biggest part of dealing with my depression was therapy in conjunction with my medication. Therapy taught me how to see life for what it was (instead of skewing it negatively) and how to handle life as it came at me in the hard times.

Depending upon your level of depression, therapy might be the only thing necessary. I began therapy first, but after repeated thoughts of suicide, went on an antidepressant in addition, and that medication saved my life.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I was on Prozac for almost a year with no adverse weight effects. I came off and about 6 months later started Zoloft...and my weight EXPLODED. I came off and it took 2-3 months for my metabolism to get right again...and that's where I am today. On the Zoloft, I worked really hard and did nothing but gain.

It all depends on how your body reacts to the meds. Mine obviously didn't react well. It's all trial an error. You have to see if the benefit outweighs any side effects. Personally, working out and talking to someone on a regular basis is much more effective at rooting out the base of my problems, but without the push from the meds in the first place, I'd never have gotten to where I am now. :)